Welcome to the forum

Team Milton Keynes Spring Youth Race #1- Sat 8th March

This Saturday is the start of the 3 race spring youth series at Milton Keynes bowl.

First race is at 2pm with signing on from 1pm. Races for U8's up to U16's.
Weather forecast is good this weekend with rumours of a yellow thing appearing in the sky!

I will be there with the red race van and Samuel from 1pm. Let me know if any other junior blues are planning to be there

Jamie

Full detail can be found in the link below:
Click here

Comments

• Yep my 2 will be there.

Not been to the "bowl" before, BC link states there's no warm-up on the track once racing starts? So rollers needed I guess...

Steve L
  • Yes, the races are in quick succession, so no chance for warm ups.

We'll be there too.

Dave
  • Nathan will be there for the U10s
  • edited March 2014
    Great day out at the MK Bowl youth racing on Saturday. Sun was shining, plenty of kids enjoying themselves and a good turnout for the junior blue train. The breeze was quite noticeable leading to strong tailwind on the back straight and more importantly a headwind on the climb to the finish line.

Under 8's - Only a 2 lap race for the U8's. Samuel was the only CCA entrant in a field of about 10-12 riders. He set off strongly and 3 riders kept pace on the front in the first lap, dropping to two in the final lap. Samuel pushed hard on the final climb and sprinted over the line about 10 bike lengths ahead of the 2nd place rider. He was very pleased with his winners medal!

Under 1O's - 3 CCA riders in this 5 lap event - Nathan Hardy, Mark Lightfoot & Joseph Hadsley amongst a field of 25-30 riders. Mark had a great start and sprinted off the line. In the first lap a group of 3 formed, dropping to 2 by second lap (Jed - Worx & Tom - Welwyn Wheelers). In the main chasing group behind Joseph rode stongly for CCA on the front for much of the race. Mark tucked into the back of the group. Nathan was in the second chasing group. On lap 4 it looked as if the chasing group were gaining on the lead 2 riders as they started playing tactics on the climb to the line more akin to track sprinting. Joseph continued to push hard through to the final lap, where some of the boys that had been getting a tow sprinted past. Jed Smithson (Worx Bikes) sprinted to the win with Tom (Welwyn Wheelers) in second. Joseph claimed a noble 5th place with Mark and Nathan coming in later in the placings - unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see their final placings (Steve / Neil did you get their placings?)

Under 12's - 2 CCA riders in this event - Adam Lightfoot and Harley Pell with a good showing from both on their new shiny steeds. Harley stayed with the lead bunch for much of the race, only dropping towards the end of the race on the climb to the line. She eventually achieved a good result of 4th girl. Adam was to be seen on the front of the bunch for much of the race, showing real strength and confidence in a large field. Unfortunately he paid the price for his early efforts in the final uphill sprint to the line achieving 11th place.

Overall it was a good day of racing for our youth riders, achieving respectable results and having fun in the process. Probably more importantly all of the CCA riders have had the opportunity early in the season to learn valuable lessons about road racing tactics. The common lesson being share the work through the race and you'll have more left for the final sprint!

The next event is Saturday 15th March at 2pm - hopefully the weather will be as good and maybe we can tempt out some more CCA youth..

JRVM
  • Great report Jamie, some really great racing from these younger riders. Nice day out and a friendly atmosphere. :-)
  • Thanks for the report Jamie, once again I failed to get any photos. The boy who sprinted past Joseph was the same boy who was attacking constantly from his group last week so he said he didn't trust him to be on the front. As you said lessons to be learnt!
  • Provisional results posted

U8
    Samuel Quiggin 1st

U10
    Joseph Hadsley 5th
    Mark Lightfoot 7th
    Nathan Hardy 10th

U12
    Adam Lightfoot 10th
    Harley Pell 15th (3rd Girl)

Well done all.
  • edited March 2014
    Sorry I wasn't able to get snaps for all our youth riders, but here's a couple...

Sam taking the chequered flag in the U8's...

U10's start line...

U12's mid-race...
  • Well done to Sam and ALL CCA youth.....hardly know a lot of you but it is so good to read about how well our young riders are doing....

Good pics too!
  • edited March 2014
    Bloomin photo upload didn't work
  • FDFD
    edited March 2014
    Have you tried Loctite Jamie?

Seriously, well done to your son; 1st for 2 weeks running....can he make it 3?!