Welcome to the forum

MSG Rendlesham Forest Rnd 1

edited March 2014 in Road Racing
Woo hoo, fab day for Mtb racing. Sun shining and a dry course, what more could we ask for! Results are up http://www.timelaps.co.uk/results.aspx

Two Podium finish's today for young Ashwell riders

Under 9's Archie Bracewell 3rd

Under 12's Harley Pell 4th over all (1st Girl)

Juvenile Male Noah Field 7th

Open Male

Shelton Pell 25th

David Bingham 86th

Comments

• well done all...
  • Great stuff, well done all. It must have even been a bit dry and dusty with all that sunshine!
  •  I was pleasantly surprised to see my name in the paper today and be included as part of cca when i havent been out with or met anyone from cca. This was my first ever race. I initially baught my bike to just get fit and lose a few pounds, i entered in to all 8 msgs to give myself something to work towards so i wouldnt just leave my bike sitting in the garage. But after going out on my bike i realised how much i actually love riding and have got the bug for it now! Have done a few rides in royston area and been to epping aswell.
    Didnt really know what to expect for my first race but i had a blast!
    My chained snapped on my practice lap but luckily as i had no idea how to repair this i saw someone i knew from a epping ride who helped me out but then we lost the link in the mud! Managed to get another link from a stall there and he luckily fitted it for me so i got onto the starting grid just in time! I Finished 86th out of 93 but to be honest i am happy with that as im not exactly fit and this was my first ever race my main mission was just to cross the finishing line!
  • David, It doesn't matter where you came the point is you did it, and well done. Im sure there are some club members who would hook up and ride with you from Royston, as I'm sure you can't be the only club member from Royston. I have a number of friends that ride Epping on a regular basis, they meet on a Saturday morning 11am start from Chingford plain on the top car park nr Golf course, they are on facebook MBRO35 they are a great bunch and a good social ride with pub/cafe stop. I also ride with Cam mtb sometimes it can be fast but no one gets left behind, they meet on a Tues and a Thurs eve 19.30 start from Brookside Cambridge,also a pub stop. Top tip always carry a chain splitter and a power link as it can be a very long walk back to the start. MSG find some corking venues and some will be more challanging than others, stick with it you are doing ok ;-)
  • Thankyou!, would definately be interested if there was people who ride royston , i sometimes meet up with essexhertsmtb at epping but it is a bit of a trek would be nice to ride the bike out the garage and go from there! good to know about them rides though thankyou shelton.
    I found that out on sunday haha had my topeak multitool with chain splitter but no power link! luckily only had to walk about a mile back.
    Really loved riding rendlesham and done all the technical parts but i am abit jubius about the 'drop-offs and rock features to keep you on your toes' in the carver barracks description!
    i will definately be sticking with it :)
  • How did you find carver barracks today? Managed to beat my last positioning :) came 78th this time bit better than 86th :) heading in the right direction 2nd race ive ever done.
  • David,

I found it hard mainly due to not doing any training and eating to many cakes and biscuits, I got an amazing start but blew up on my second lap. I didn't do the A line drop off due to fear of falling off and hurting myself, but I wish I had now as it was a huge time penalty taking the B line. I didn't bother looking at my result as I know I did crap, timelaps should be up around 19:30 ish this evening. Well done on your finish, keep plugging away ;-) Stuart whooped my a*se though did me a favour as I was going to reward myself with a large Donor kebab this evening! looks like a salad now :-(
  • There was a lot of uphill hill struggle bits in the course but quite enjoyed it overall :). I didnt do the drop off either scoped it out on the first lap and was going to do it on the second but saw a bloke go head over heals and bike go flying on the downhill before it, think he probably broke his arm /collar bone and thought i will give that a miss this time aswell haha. Sadly 78th was quite a result for me sounds bad being only 25 haha! But rewarded myself with a noce bacon and sausage bap :)