Welcome to the forum

Tub help please

edited March 2014 in General
Without starting another huge thread, I punctured my tub earlier this week on Northfields and need to get a new one fitted before the Hardriders on Sun. I have a new tyre and was going to get it fitted at Trisports but it will take then 10 days apparently and Kinetic don't have any glue so they cannot do it. I'm not confident that I will fit it correctly therefore is anybody free to fit it for me or show me how? I will pay the going rate whatever that is?!

Many thanks

Luke

Comments

• Bike shop with no tub glue? Interesting.
  • Luke, how was the punctured tub stuck on originally, glue or tape?

Daniel
  • I think it was glue, it's still on for now, Corleys originally put it on?
  • Oh and Will, tell me about it, shocking.
  • there're two bike shops in hitchin
    pauls and cycledelia, worth at least a phone call to see if they can / are available to

never had experience with paul's, but cycledelia are very good have fixed something for me before in a hurry when trisports were too busy
  • Paul is a very good mechanic. Does all my repairs. He's been in the trade for over 20 years. Avid bike rider and a really nice bloke, too. I don't ride tubs though.

John
  • Cheers, I'll try calling them first thing tomorrow, or make the journey over to Corleys. Unless anyone wants to help me out and fit it for me?
  • Luke, I'd love to help, but I just don't think I've got any availability...
  • Luke I am similarly stuffed for time, but if you could get it round to mine tomorrow evening, I'll tape it for you. I could glue it properly later on but I'm going to struggle to find the time before Sunday.

I just checked and I have some tape at home.

You could help immensely by removing the tub from rim ahead of that. If it turns out to be taped, that's easy to do so don't worry about taking it all off. If it's glued well, it can be a bit of a job, some elbow grease needed.

What tubs are they BTW?
  • John,

They are conti gp 4000at the moment but I'm putting a gatorskin sprinter on. I take it tape holds it well enough? I'd really appreciate the help John, could you email your address and i can get to you anytime, I'm off work all day tomorrow.

Thanks as well Daniel.
  • Email sent.

Tape is fine for TT, but it does increase the rolling resistance of the tyre a bit. Not as much as that bit of agricultural rubber you are planning to put on. :)

I have a CX Corsa at home you can have if you prefer. Shops usually take unglued tubs back.

The main problem with Conti tubs is that they use butyl tubes, this makes them a bit less tub like, and frankly more prone to punctures as well.
  • edited March 2014
    'I quickly swapped them out for a pair of ?????, which were clinchers. I simply can’t offset the various merits of tubs against the fact that if you puncture you’re potentially left hoping you’ve got a mobile signal and enough in your wallet for a taxi.'

So how do you change a tub on the road?? Do you need to have a pre-stretched one in the back pocket and just pop it on and hope it doesn't roll off? Or just make sure there is a bail out option?
  • Mostly people use tubs for racing, so if you puncture you are looking at changing a wheel rather than tube. But if you wanted to use tubs for training, it's easy enough to carry a spare tub and it really doesn't take much longer to change a tub (with tape) than it does a tube. Some people eschew tape, and carry a pre-glued tub wrapped in clingfilm.

The compromises in using tubs for training are much less than the compromises involved in the design of carbon clinchers. Personally it's alloy clinchers for training and tubs for racing. Sometimes on a nice sunny day I'll take the tubs out for a joyride, just to hear them sing.
  • Thanks John, i have to say my tubs are taped on so normally can you pull them off and put a new one one using the residue left on the rim? i also want to hear the noise of my wheels but dont fancy being stuck in the middle of nowhere
  • You should use new tape, the residue left from tape will be inadequate. The good thing about taped tubs is that they will be easy to pull off, the bad thing is that they are a bit slower. Also you will need some kind of tool to transfer your valve extender to the new tub.

Assuming deep section rims.

There are two additional redeeming features with tubs, one is that they puncture a lot less than clincher/butyl tube combo (not Conti tubs), and the other is that you can continue riding (albeit much slower) on a punctured tub. So if all else fails, you can still roll home gently on a flat.
  • ……."The compromises in using tubs for training are much less than the compromises involved in the design of carbon clinchers. Personally it's alloy clinchers for training and tubs for racing. Sometimes on a nice sunny day I'll take the tubs out for a joyride, just to hear them sing."…...

Couldn't agree more with that VP.

James, i carry an old tub with old tape on it when I'm out on my classics. If i puncture its a very quick change but i accept at that point that it won't be stuck on properly and so head home gently going steady on the corners.

And yes you can ride them gently flat, or in Abraham Olanos case at 35mph while winning the worlds...LINK
  • brilliant. and he did it without cling film on his helmet and almost certainly without using any loctite products either.
  • Great link Tim.

Good job for Olanos there weren't any corners on that finish!
  • Luke, if you give me the old gp4000 I'll repair it for you. (Offer stands for anyone else as well)
  • Theo I've got a Vittoria that punctured on my second race race.
    If you can fix it your welcome to keep it for yourself as a spare mate
  • Ooh, if people are giving away nearly new tubs, can I be next in line?
  • Neil I'll fix it but you might as well keep it once I've fixed it if you've only done two races on it.