Welcome to the forum

South Lanarkshire Classic

edited March 2014 in Road Racing
Got up this morning to a bright Scottish (cold and windy) day and left my digs at a fairly unreasonable hour to get to the start line of this 60 mile 2,3,4 described on the BC website as "challenging" and "hilly".

Two laps round one circuit, then a HUGE hill (for a race) that just went on, and on, and on.

And on.

And split the race into loads of small groups. We then moved on to another circuit which we did three laps of and the race settled into a break of 11 and the main bunch. The break stayed away, there seemed to be no communication in the bunch and nobody wanted to work. As a bit of a lone wolf (that's how I like to think of myself when I'm on tour. Grrr) I couldn't really do much. Bridging across would be too much for me (big hills/big tummy) and the wind didn't help (too much hummus last night). However, I managed to get 4th over the line in the bunch sprint and pick up a couple of points still. Good result for me, I was really chuffed I managed to get round!

This really was one of the most enjoyable races I've ever done. The scenery was incredible, the terrain hard but rewarding and the marshalling was excellent (I didn't get lost ONCE). Actually, the marshalling really was excellent. Up here they can turn right, which meant a more interesting circuit, 3 motorbikes and plenty of marshals, several cars too to keep is safe. Although the traffic was significantly less, there was a lot less beeping horns and the occasional driver pulling over, getting out and giving us a round of applause as we went past. Not bad! Thoroughly enjoyable race all round! If you're ever up in Scotland, have a look at the WoSCA league and give it a go. Apparently they're all similarly well marshalled.

Comments