Welcome to the forum

Tacx or Elite rollers?

edited March 2014 in General
It's about time I bought some rollers so i was wondering if anyone had any strong 'tubular style' opinions on which ones I should get. Main choice seems to be Tacx or Elite, but any advise is appreciated?

Cheers

Luke

Comments

• The Tacx ones we have do the job pretty well. Had them for over a year and been used almost daily over the winter by up to 4 of us with no probs.

Stuart
  • I have a pair of tacx which are fine. Very shortly after I got them the developed a loud rattling sound which I think is due to the bearing housing. I'd go for the elites because I think they are quieter and of a better quality.
  • Or just get a pair of Kreitler s.
  • Cheers for the advice both. That's 1-1, next ones the winner?!

Theo - Looked at the Kreitler rollers, very nice but just a little more than I'd like to pay!!! I'd expect a bike for that much!
  • what about minora? samll compacyt and light with a small drum so more resistance, thats my bet
  • A couple of obsevations from our monday roller nights.....the club has a set of the "jet black"? rollers with a small diameter metal roller and the smaller diameter definately ups the rolling resistance, i was surprised just how slow my 5 mile time trials were on these rollers. It was hard to average 25 mph, (but then i am quite slow!)

When doing very fast rpm stuff there is a tendancy for the bike to bounce in the rollers (unless you are a kierin trianed superhero with superb souplesse !) but the rollers that Dan P has were fantastic at eliminating that with their rocking feet. Tacx Galaxy? pale blue rollers and rolling feet.
  • hi folks.
    Luke, Kreitler are by far the best. Key here is the size of roller. 4" 100mm dia. gives the best ride and enables you to focus on a smooth action. Also encourages you to develop a fast cadence. 4" are low resistance and give a lower rolling resistance and therefore less wear on tyres. You can fit them with resistance fan to increase effort if you want a harder workout. Agreed they are expensive, but you won't have problems with bearings which all other makes seem to suffer. You also won't suffer from bounce.
    Jet black are a good alternative and affordable, but heavier to tag around than Tacx.
    I prefer riders to learn to ride parallel rollers rather than conical...better skills. Importantly the cheaper rollers with plastic cylinders develop a high level of static charge...The aluminium rollers don't have anything like the same problem.
    Whichever you choose to buy they can't help but improve your pedalling action, core strength and fitness. The best way to warm up before TT's or track.
    Have fun.
  • Thanks all for the options, and detail. Kreitler are out of my league, but the Jet Black look like a good option and the cheapest by £20 at £116 on Ribble. Can't find much on reviews for them Tim, how do they compare in noise level with Tacx?
  • To complicate things a bit more for you, here's a vote for Minoura rollers.

- cylindrical rollers not conical
    - alumnium drums (not plastic)
    - quiet bearings
    - 3.5" rollers
    - lightweight
    - wider than most other rollers (so more forgiving of tank-slappers...)
    - handy clip-on step available
    - can be set up for smaller wheels than 700c (more relevant to youth riders than you)
    - £130 from Halfords if you use British Cycling member discount
    - the choice of the GB track squad...
  • Just seen the Minoura post, I was too impatient, went for the Jet Black after finding a couple of positive reviews. No curved edges for me so I'll update you from my hospital bed on my first crash this week!!

I bought them from Ribble who I noticed have Jantex tub tape at half price, £2.50, worth getting a few.

Thanks again for all the input.

Luke
  • Good choice with the rollers. I use aluminium rollers and they're great. Much better than my turbot rainer, which is a bit fishy sometimes.
  • edited March 2014
    The Minouras are pretty similar to the kreitlers but are quite a bit cheaper (I'd go for them If I didn't have the tacx), Jet Black are great but a bit heavy.
    Minoura: 6.3kg (claimed) £130
    Tacx: 7.7kg (verified) £130
    Jet Black: 15kg (claimed) £117
    Krietler standard (75mm) : ?kg £270-£350
  • great lead Mark...Not tried these and largest dia. standard available. Think I'll get a set. You'll be fine Luke. Just focus ahead and relax
  • Hmmmmm, maybe the Minoura were the better option, certainly from a weight point of view, almost 3 times the weight is significant. Am I wrong in thinking the extra weight would make them more stable or am I clutching at straws?!

I suppose if nothing else my upper body power will increase lugging them around....
  • Luke...I bought the jet black for the club and they are just fine. Had one or two issues with bearings...they replaced them so no problem. The weight helps them to be stable....talk to Jon or Cam...they will give you the gen. Have fun.
  • Cheers Geoff, appreciate your help.
  • i didn't have any problems with the rollers, i have had no issues with them apart from my lack of arm strength to carry them to races
  • for riding on them they are superb
  • I've had the Jet Black for a week now and due to a hamstring injury only used them a few times. Overall after 3 uses I've been impressed, very quiet, pre-assembled stable, good resistance for warm up and spinning sessions. I would definitely recommend them at a bargain £116.

Thanks again for the advice!
  • edited April 2014
    Anyone used the planet-x resistance rollers? http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TRPXFIXMR/planet-x-resist-rollers