Welcome to the forum

Kids bike recommendation

edited March 2014 in Youth
I'm after some advice on buying my 7 year old his first serious bike.

I've been looking at the Luath 24 obviously but have also seen the Worx and Felt F24 Cross bikes too.

Any thoughts? I know everyone has the Islabikes but the Worx looks really good. I'm particularly interested in any feedback on the Felt as I haven't seen any reviews on this bike and not sure how it compares.

My main concern is the resale value of the Felt/Worx compared to Islabikes.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Scott.

Comments

• Scott, If you have concerns about resale value then I would suggest Isla, though not a bike I would buy as I feel they are over priced and I feel you can get a better quality bike for the same money elsewhere. Have a look at 26" wheel bikes as kids can have growth spurts and before you know it they have outgrown the bike. Take a look at http://www.youthcyclesport.co.uk/ they have tried and tested some 700c cyclocross bikes, a lot bigger than you are currently looking for but it will give you an idea on the reviews and comments of the brands they tested from both the test riders and Mark Fraser findings.
  • Thanks Shelton. I'm not keen on the Islabike either so will have a look at some of the 26" bikes as you suggest.
  • Scott, I have just bought Samuel the 26" Worx bike and its a great bike. Lighter than the Isla and slightly better kit.

Samuels 24" Isla is for sale, but if you want you can come round and see both the bikes for size and ride before you decide on which to go for. Samuel sat on a number of different bikes from Isla, Moda and Felt before we decided on the right one for him. I would say watch out for growth spurts as the Isla only lasted Samuel about 8 months before he was ready for the next size up!

Looking at the spec of the Felt you may find it to be a bit much as it has the unnecessary front derailleur and double chainring - 7 year olds struggle enough with just the rear gears never mind adding the complexity of a double front chainring.

Jamie
  • Hi Scott,

No Problem, I would highly recommend to take a look at Jamie's bikes it will not only give you an idea on sizing, but an idea what you get for your money. Take a look at this http://www.paulmilnescycles.com/ he does a kids 26" J cross bike for £599, real nice chap he will also build you a bike to spec, you can choose such things as colour of bar tape/outer cable colour, if your looking for that personal touch. I think I'm right in saying that Dave Hadsley's lad has a J cross bike though I'm not sure what size wheel.

Shelton
  • Yes, Shelton, Joseph has a Scatto J Cross but in 700c. Paul was very nice and helpful

Scott, I can only agree with what has already been said, especially about trying them out first and also checking out Youth Cycle Sport's reviews. I'd say that most points in the review would translate to the smaller size. From what I know of the bikes, they were spot on too. We all know about Islabikes, the Scatto has great versatility in spec and the Juniorworx is a premium bike that is very race orientated. I'd say the Worx, which seems to be cheaper than the Scatto 26 and Felt is the best bang for your buck. I've got an adult Worx and I love it. I agree with Jamie about the Felt's gearing. That would make me consider their whole approach to junior bikes.

On resale value, I'd think they are worth what someone is willing to pay. If you saw a secondhand Worx or Scatto, what would you be willing to pay. The Islabike may sell quicker but as the YCS review said the others would be sought after by those who knew what they wanted.

Dave
  • Thanks for the advice all, Jamie, I've emailed you.

Scott.