Welcome to the forum

Thinking: a long distance tour. But who here can shed some light?

edited March 2014 in General
I am toying with a Tom’s Bike Trip going east from Hungary, through the Stans, or thereabouts. Perhaps retracing the best known Mongul, Chinggis Khan's epic venture, but in reverse.

Thing is, I have never done any long distance touring, discounting to the end o’ the road & back.

I know that there are some adventurers out there, and I would be keen to learn from your experiences, in short: pick your brains.

Can I do that without a medical license?

To those who know, can you enlighten me? I’ll pay for the beers and nuts, or whatever suits you, but can we hook up and you impart some wisdom so that I can do this without too many errors, if at all?

Thanks
Tim

Comments

• Shaun's the man
  • Is Shaun the only one who has done any long distance touring?
    I'll try and hook up with him if he's still riding the Wednesday club ride (next week).
  • I'm going to do this one day

a few times in my life
    hopefully

Definitely riding japan
  • Tim,

Stevie and I have done about 15 two week tours in Western Europe but nothing as exciting as that. However we have built up lots of kit and packing recommendations which would probably sort you out for a longer tour.

Mark.
  • Mark Beaumont's book 'The Man Who Cycled The World' might be a useful reference as he went somewhere along these lines

Bon Voyage!
  • Hi Tim
    I spent 3 months on the road once crossing Canada. Not exactly the Stans, but a great experience. Happy to chat to you. Note, I'm not often out on Weds anymore due to work commitments.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/ is a online resource worth looking at. You can probably get in touch with quite a few people who've been 'East' via that website.
  • Thanks.

Once I'm back from Paris next week, maybe hook up and buy y'all a beer and hear what you have to say one evening?

Tim