Welcome to the forum

9.00am Saturday 12th April - Pre-Easter Blue Egg Ride

edited April 2014 in Club runs
As well as the usual club ride Saturday, there will also be a ride to The Blue Egg Cafe, Great Bardfield, Essex, CM7 5PY

The Blue Egg from Ashwell - 36 miles:

The Blue Egg from Royston via Hare Street - 31 miles:

The Blue Egg from Royston direct - 26 miles:

The Ashwell group will leave The Three Tuns at 9.00am sharp!

The Royston group will leave THE ROYSTON SPORTING CLUB, Therfield Heath, Baldock Road, Royston, SG8 5BG at 9.00am - FREE PARKING.

The two groups will meet at Hare Street (where the B1368 crosses the B1038) at about 9.50am. Or for those riding direct from Royston – meet at Newport (where the B1038 meets the B1383) at 10.15am

As it's an out & back linear ride with a cafe stop in the middle, we may split into a couple of groups to accommodate the pace required by all i.e. fast as well as steady. The return route home can be varied on the day if we wish.

For cafe and route details please follow these links:

http://www.theblueegg.co.uk/index.html

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/227415141

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/227405619

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/386131914

Comments

• Thanks for this John, I can't join you this time as I'm off to the Bespoke show. Hope you have a good ride.
  • Thanks Susan....hope you and Ollie enjoy the show and you order up something nice!

I'll be visiting on Friday.

We'll have to have a Saturday Post-Easter Blue Egg Ride also...
  • Just bringing this to the top.....
  • Hi David...

Rather that do our meet up thing at Hare Street, on this occasion I (or we if others turn up at Royston Heath for 9.00am) go straight to The Blue Egg from Royston. See you there....
  • edited April 2014
    Think we should still meet up at Hare Street and get a nice group going for the ride there (club run pace). We can always split for the ride back if needed.
  • Okay then David I agree and I'll see who else turns up at Royston, but I won't be able to hold on to Tom and Nathan's wheels with my eyeballs popping all the way down there...
  • John, Sorry to have missed today. Prefect day for it.
  • edited April 2014
    Great ride today to the Blue Egg and back. Seamless meet up at the duckpond and urm not so seamless at Hare Street as JohnM and Co decided to meet us there but send a message to the wrong DJ - whoops

Bit of a stop start on the way out as the shocking potholes/bomb craters of the Essex roads took their revenge on three of our tyres. We decided that it might be better to start shouting 'smooth Tarmac' rather than holes :)

Blue Egg was again excellent. Food prize of the day goes to Vicky for her 'half a loaf' sausage sarnie -awesome.

All stayed together for the way back, except for Jenny and David who decided to try a radical cross country, via Stansted airport possibly route home. Hope you guys made it back ok. Group thinned on the way back as people pealed off for home. Hope the veg peeling is going well TomD ;)

Five of us made it back to Ashwell with TomH, Pete, Emma and James going for the station road sprint, good work chaps (and lady) after all those miles.

So I got 73 miles @ 16 when I got home, which is pretty good for mid April.

Thanks all for a great day

P.s. Today's lessons were 1. Read the forum & read it again (TomD) and 2. It is actually possible to transport a hot cross bun all the way back from the blue egg in one piece in your back pocket (emmaK)
  • Felt I was doing a Cancellara 20 mile solo break away, with one subtle difference. Mine was behind the pelaton, rather than in front. I HATE THE WIND.
    Good ride I enjoyed it. 69 miles for me.
    Thanks all
  • edited April 2014

It sure did survive - look at this beauty!
  • edited April 2014
    Three of us took a short cut to the Blue Egg direct from Royston and owing to the 5 punctures sustained by the main group, not to mention us sending a text message to the wrong number (sorry David), did not synchronise with the main group particularly well.

Apart from Mark narrowly missing running over a squirrel at Newport our short cut ride down there was largely uneventful. It could have made good road kill though for some squirrel sandwiches...

Next time we go there, Adam, on the post Easter Blue Egg, I suggest you take up Vicky’s idea and go for the white bread Sausage Door Step! Hope you got back okay mate.

Thanks all, it was another great ride and we hope you will be able to join us for our next Blue Egg run, Robert....
  • Great ride, I had 80.6 miles @16.4

My first visit to the Blue Egg so enjoyed the sugerfest and possibly the biggest sausage sandwich i have ever seen and didn't see Vicky behind it!!

Well done Emma for getting the bun back intact i am guessing its not a few mm think after its journey.

Thanks TomD for the chain gang with James?, great shame my back brake was binding or at least that's my excuse

A nice tortoise and hare touch from Adam who waved majestically from his convertible whilst i was riding home with the roof down and no doubt the heated seats on.

Thanks again, see you next week