Welcome to the forum

Hill practice - Good Friday

edited April 2014 in Sportives
I need hill practice (for Etape du Dales, 18th May) and I'm probably not the only one who's wishing E Anglia was a bit lumpier

How about setting a date to drive over to the edge of the Chilterns and do a properly hilly ride? ... aiming for an early start and back in time for lunch. Probably nearer to 50 than 100 miles, but with a lot of climbing and descending. (We can do a longer one next month, to get ready for the Chiltern Hundred sportive)

Who's interested? And which is best - Saturday or Sunday morning? Put your preferred date in the Doodle poll here

Comments

• I'm up for it. hopefully luke will see this too. Next saturday?
  • Seen!!! I'd be up for it,but not this Saturday, I've got Fl
  • edited April 2014
    If you're interested, let me know which dates you can do in the Doodle poll
  • Jane, the juniors and I sometimes go out on 'mega rides' which are basically just an adaptation/improvement on the Chiltern 100 route, last time we got all the way to whiteleaf and back but still only 110 miles (although we did miss out Bison). If you need any route/hill recommendations let me know.
  • theo I'd be interested in seeing the route!!
  • Here, Some of the roads are a bit dodgy in winter but It's a nice route. Weird how different the landscape is over there.
  • edited April 2014
    Cheers Theo. Shaun's offered too

BTW you should have seen Dan and Will go head to head on Bison Hill on Saturday. Somebody muttered something about moving the finish line. Think there might have to be a rematch
  • Great stuff. Put it in your diary for Good Friday (18th April). Here's the plan so far:

Drive over to the Chilterns, aiming to start at 8:30 and be back home (just) in time for lunch
    50+ miles, with as much climbing and descending as our resident Chiltern-ophile (Shaun) can find. Route tbc
    Expect the group to fragment on a climb, because everybody needs to ride it at his/her own pace. Regroup at the top of each climb. We can split into 2 or more groups on the day if appropriate

More details to follow. (And we can do a longer Chilterns ride next month - perfect training for the Chiltern Hundred sportive)
  • awesome thanks jane :)
  • Thanks for organising this Jane, I hope I can join.
  • Sounds like a good ride, hoping to be there
  • Hope to be there. Will depend on work. Thanks Jane.
  • Jane, is the aim to start riding at 8.30am in the chilterns or drive from Ashwell at 8.30am?
  • Start riding at 8:30
    If we start any later, we lose valuable riding time!
  • FDFD
    edited April 2014
    Wow, that is very keen! Let me know the start point in due course and I might just manage a few hills......
  • It's going to be a very Good Friday indeed :)
    Route will be posted shortly c/o Shaun
    Everybody's welcome. And for anyone who can't face an early start, there's always the possibility of meeting us at the half-way point ...
  • I'll be doing some proper hills up here Jane so will think of you all playing down there :-)
  • Yes I'm up for this one... needing to strengthen my climbing!
    Or lack of it.... lol

Won't be out on the 8am Saturday tho.
  • edited April 2014
    I've mapped out a good route for Friday :)

It's 60 miles (or option for 70) including a cafe stop after 30 miles in Chinnor (or Watlington at 38). About 1,550m climbing (1,800m), so fairly challenging...

Includes the following hills:
    Aston Clinton, Dunsmore, Whiteleaf, Kingston Blount, (Whitemark, Ibstone), Bledlow Ridge, Speen, Hampden Bottom, Aldbury.

You can view and download the 60m route via this link:
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/651513

and the 70m route via this link:
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/651534

Start / Finish point - Ashridge Monument car park (8.30am start):
    Google Map Directions

If there's anybody going over with space in their car (and you don't mind taking somebody with you), perhaps you could post, just in case somebody would like to come but hasn't got transport.
  • Many thanks for the routes Shaun.
    I'll have space in the car for one. I'm also happy to navigate a slower group if needed.
    Really glad to see the coffee stop included!!
    Tom
  • I'm the slower group!
  • Robbie, if you're the slower group that makes me the broom wagon!

Might be best if I stick to pirating on Friday......don't want to be destroyed for the Phoenix event on Monday.
  • I will meet you there. Jane, Tania is also coming so you will have some female company.
  • edited April 2014
    Robbie, u r not slow
    John u r v welcome, as always. And there's no problem at all about riding this in several groups. (There are good caf
  • Family stuff.... looks doubtful for me tmw with the Phoenix on Monday as well.
    Gutted. Shorter local hills for an hour tmw... probably.
  • I'll be leaving from Letchworth at approx 0730 if anyone needs a lift.
  • Robbie
    I too have family commitments starting at noon so need to be back 11.30.
    Cannot therefore do chill terms but up for any nipple, dimple or bump around ashwell. Reps, sprints, bunny hops all allowed.
    Shall we do an 8.30 am at the tuns for those that cannot make it to chilterns ride?
    Rode three days in Wales earlier in the week. Never managed to average more than 13.5 mph.
    Lake Vyrnwy, Bala etc. chilterns phha.
  • edited April 2014
    Not going to be able to make it

Have a good one

Nathaniel
  • Have a good ride everybody - lovely weather. I'll be riding more local, flatter roads today.

John
  • 5 out today for some good quality hill practice in the sunshine. 1550m climbing in 61 miles
    Everybody worked hard, nobody was left behind and we tackled everything that the Chilterns threw at us - the steepness of Small Dean Lane, long climbs like Whiteleaf and Kingston, some slightly tricky descents and 1 almost tarmac-free road (definitely more gravel and pothole than tarmac). Nice caf