Welcome to the forum

Tour of the Mendips (Junior National)

edited April 2014 in Road Racing
Normally this is a two day race but, due to road works, only the second stage was run. So no flat stage just the hilly one; the course starts of riding on the foothills of the Mendips then goes up a climb to the top, where is bleak windy and hilly, then it’s a long descent off the Mendips to complete the lap. Subsequent laps are shorter by going up onto the ridge sooner; this meant that there were three different climbs up the Mendips: Burrington Combe, Blagdon and Harptree. Unfortunately it was just me and Jon riding due to Cam’s illness, which is a real shame because he’s on great form otherwise. The weather was dark, not quite raining but threatening to do so. Of course the neutralised zone was hell like it always is in national races; everyone is fluctuating in pace and having near misses. After the rolling foothills we got to the first climb: Burrington Combe. It’s pretty similar, and parallel, to Cheddar gorge but it has a steeper gradient and a cheeky kick at the end. The peloton was going pretty slow, so it seemed best to wander to the front. This turned out to be a good plan because they really put the pace on after the KOM prime, unfortunately this was the point where Jon lost contact but he did carry on to complete most the race. On the top it was like looking through milk, visibility was only 30metres at one point. On the next lap I knew the Blagdon hill was coming up so I got to the front, the reason for this was the impending break that would inevitably happen at the top. The hill happens very suddenly, going round a blind corner we were hit by a 14% wall out of the village. Front derailleurs crunched. I didn’t want to get dropped by the break so I went to the front, but this did mean I ended up leading the whole group up the climb.

I really needed the 39-25 gear up the steep part, but it calmed down for a bit on the last part. Right at the end James Shaw, who won the last junior national, came from behind me to start the break. After the hill the chasing group we were in were bombing it on the chain gang of death; we turned a corner into a side wind that threw us into an echelon it was brutal, everyone clinging to the drops and the wheel in front. We couldn’t even see the breakaway through the mist. After a While It calmed down a little and the peloton was now only 25 riders strong, but it was strong. The last climb we would do twice (finishing up it on the second time), it was long and steep (12%). Are group crawled to the top but we did find out that we’d gained a minute on the leaders. After that the hammer went down. The descent was so fast, riders hurling themselves off front into incoming cars, I was spinning out so much even on the flatter parts. People were desperate to get away, and 4 did. On the final climb now, my legs weren’t happy. I was chasing places to get a top twenty. I just had to keep on turning the pedals and make up as many places as possible. The concrete in my thighs was just about set and I’d only got to the ‘1KM to go’ sign. There was just one more rider that I could catch, although I got passed him in the worlds slowest sprint, I just missed out on points and came 23rd. The past few months I’ve been on such poor form and although I’m still not fully back it’s nice to do well in a race again. Thanks to Christine and my Dad for the team car support.
Next week: 'Cam's return' at the Auto Strasse Porsche race near Ipswich.

Edit: 22nd @2:28

Comments

• Junior racing at national level is incredibly hard, so very well done Theo and Jon for your efforts, especially in such hilly terrain. Keep it up.
  • great write up Theo..........sounds wonderfully gruesome.....well done...get well Cam and stay strong Jon.
  • 'the concrete in my thighs was just about set' - like that Theo!
    Good luck at Ipswich to you, Jon and Cam
  • Yes...good write up but great effort...well done Jon for finishing and a great ride Theo....these are the top young riders in the country and you are up there!
  • Racing with the very best on THOSE climbs is a great achievement, well done guys.
  • Thanks guys, shame Ipswich is so flat.
  • You'll have some fun up here July with what I've got planned for you lads :-)
  • Well done, sounded brutal!