Welcome to the forum

Bank hol Monday HILL PRACTICE (Chilterns)

edited April 2014 in Sportives
Here's the plan so far:

Drive over to the Chilterns for 9am start
90 - 100 miles, with plenty of climbing and descending
Route tbc c/o Shaun. (Will include 1 or 2 caf

Comments

• I hope I can join this Jane. Thanks for the plan.
  • NB date has changed to the bank holiday Monday (originally, Sun 4th)
    Route will be posted shortly. Everybody welcome
    Please post on this thread if you're interested, so we know roughly how many to plan for
  • I am up for this. Monday is a much better day for me.
  • I have this in my diary - looking forward to it.
  • I am hoping to be off work and do this!
  • Good train-ing for the Chiltern 100 too. I am planning on being there.
  • edited April 2014
    I'm finalising a route over the next few days.

Planning to start in Amersham (J18 M25): Start Location

Route map to follow...

The outline will be something like Amersham, Beaconsfield, Marlow, Streatley, Pangbourne (nr. Reading), Henley, Marlow, Amersham. As such, it won't cover any of the Chiltern 100 route and all of the hills (there will be a few) should be relatively 'fresh' to most people. Looking at about 90-100 miles.
  • just a thought Shaun...when I did it the first time I had no idea whether I would manage all the hills and so went easy on them to conserve energy. When I finished I knew that I could have taken 30 minutes off my time by pushing a little harder on each one. If people know the key hills they will have a better chance of a good time and know how hard they can push whilst still having enough energy left to complete the ride. Whatever, have fun :-)
  • That's precisely what I did for our last excursion to the Chilterns:
    http://www.ccaforum.co.uk/comments.php?DiscussionID=3771&page=1#Item_20
  • oops....so you did Shaun. Doing them again might have the opposite effect eh!! :-) have fun.

offer's still on up here if peeps want to try some loooong climbs.
  • I'm keen to join you on this one, sounds great.
  • Anyone fancy doing a slower, shorter version of the above?
    Maybe the route that was posted for last week?
    Sunday or Monday?
  • Here's the route for the next Chilterns ride. As mentioned previously, this will include quite a few new roads for most people...

It's 95 miles including a cafe stop after 43 miles in Goring and other stop in Marlow after 75 miles, if required. Just over 2,000m climbing in total. Not bad...

Includes the following hills:
    Coles Hill, Flackwell Heath, Bovingdon Green, Turville-Northend (also great bluebell wood here), Swyncombe Downs, Streatley Hill, Whitchurch Hill, Fawley, Colstrope Lane, Quarry Wood, Hawks Hill, Holtspur Hill (B4440).

You can view and download the route via this link:
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/656700

Start / Finish point - Dovecote Meadow Car Park (free parking Bank Holidays), Amersham (HP7 0HL):
    Google Map Directions
    Street View

If there's anybody going over with space in their car (and you don't mind taking somebody with you), perhaps you could post, just in case somebody would like to come but hasn't got transport.
  • Sounds great Shaun.

I will have space in my car if anyone needs a lift.
  • Are we looking to start riding at 0830 like last time?
  • 9am start this time

So far we have: Daniel, John P, James Mac, Martin H, Shaun, me ... hopefully Luke and Nathan too. Anyone else? Everybody welcome

Usual club ride rules - expect the group to fragment on a climb (because everybody needs to ride it at his/her own pace) and then regroup at the top
  • Tania, will be with us again.
  • Hi Jane, If it's overcast weather, i'll be there. (don't ask haha!!!) Will probably make the call sun night!
  • (bringing back to the top)
  • Sorry, I can't make it, this working is getting in the way of my cycling far too much!
  • John - have you still got space?
  • Meet in Dovecote Meadow Car Park. 8:45ish for a 9am start

Going to be a lovely day - bit of sunshine and a southerly breeze :)
  • Great ride today, thanks Jane for organising and Shaun for working out the route, good to explore some other parts of the Chilterns.
  • Very enjoyable and hard ride! Company even better. Thanks guys :)
  • .. and girl?
  • Sorry but guys and gals now politically incorrect.. You were not forgotten in this inclusive club
  • I've always said 'guys' as 'people' rather than 'group of guys' I say it allll the time actually like 'hey guys' even though it could mostly be girls. some people didn't know it can be just a group of people?

oxford Definition 2:"Usually, guys. Informal. persons of either sex; people: Could one of you guys help me with this? "
  • Fantastic ride today. Some tricky hills, but also some pretty villages, lots of verdant beech woodland and carpets of bluebells. Quintessential Springtime England.
  • Well the title was 'Hill Practice' and Shaun planned the route. It was delightful (and hilly), a kind of spring bank holiday moving postcard. Thanks to Shaun for a great route and to everyone for great company and good riding.