Welcome to the forum

Autostrasse Porsche RT road race 2014

edited April 2014 in Road Racing
Autostrasse Porsche road race 75miles E123 (national B)

75 miles but a lap was less than 7 miles! The course wasn’t that hilly (being near Ipswich) but it had a cheeky few inclines. Not long into the second lap I got into a break of 8 riders, including Liam Stones (Team Raleigh) . It was a pretty strong group with riders from each of the big amateur teams. We soon got a 40 second lead on the group and continued to extend it. There was a chasing group (Hugo Robinson and a few others) but they started to lose ground to us. With about 4 or 5 laps to go the pace increased, having broken away pretty early on, my legs were starting to feel it. In the final few laps the strong ones in the groups were putting attacking to test the group and it soon showed that I was perhaps the weakest out of the 8. Once it was two laps to go, I was losing contact with the group up the finishing line. I chased back on but I was only just hanging on. The same thing happened next lap, but now it was just 1 lap to go. At the bottom of the final climb fellow junior Lewis Stevens sprinted away from us. I was just trying to hang on but my legs weren’t cooperating. I managed to pick of one guy at the end to finish 7th (27 points in the bag!). In the last 50metres Liam got passed Lewis to win the race. Having finished 5 minutes ahead of the peloton I could watch the rest finish. Jon had to pull out due o his asthma. Cam did well to finish mid pack as he is recovering from a nasty illness. Overall I’m pleased to have got in the winning break and pleased to have got top ten (my best result in a national B). Next week for me is the Essex Pro cycle hire classic, but Jon is doing a 3/4 and Cam is doing the Alan Rosner memorial race.

Results
Riders in the break highlighted in bold

1 Liam Stones (Team Raleigh)
2Lewis Stevens (Strada-Sport)
3 Alex Minting (Neon Velo)
4 Douglas Coleman (CC Luton)
5 Edmund Bradbury
6 Simon Alexander (Richardsons-Trek RT)
7 Theo Doncaster (CC Ashwell)

8 Jonathan Harris
9 Ian Knight (team Corley)
10 Richard Wood (Arbis-Colbert Cycles RT)
11 James Fox (CC Luton)
12 David Murrell (London Phoenix CC)
13 Dean Shannon (Richardsons-Trek RT)
14 Hugo Robinson (Neon Velo)
15 James Sale (Pro Cycle Hire UK Racing Team)

Comments

• Outstanding, just brilliant. That is one hell of a strong ride.

Well done Theo, I'm dreading turning up for chaingangs now!!!
  • Truly outstanding result Theo and very well deserved.
  • That's another great result there Theo! Clear to see that you've being mixing it with some really classy riders in the last few weeks and won't be long now until you get the result that you truly deserve. Keep up the good work mate
  • Well done to all our boys in blue for this one. A long race and a pacey one I am sure; very hard to cope with that and asthma. Great result for Cam coming back from illness and, of course, a stellar ride from Theo.

Well done son.
  • rightly proud father and team support....stellar Theo...sounds like you are all having "fun"
  • Fantastic ride Theo, well done mate that's brilliant
  • Awesome, Theo! And good luck for next week
  • Well done all...racing with the big boys and getting a result Theo!
  • Having raced cross alongside you all winter I can't say I'm surprised Theo, but nevertheless, it has to be said this is an incredible result! Well done mate.
  • Great result Theo. see you on the start line on Sunday for 95 miles more fun...