2 cars go via eurotunnel / 2 nights in hotel
7 people so far 2-3 places left
Will all be at true club run pace
wait at the top of each hill
50 / 80 / 40 miles for each day
£200 ish for travel + hotel
£150-200 meals etc

Contact myself or Richard Maynard if interested

James Boyle / Richard Maynard / Martin Lawless / Andy Bartlett / Mark C / Martin hall / Tim Skelding so far
will be good fun
will need £200 on booking place

A great way to round the season off

James

Comments

• I think the idea is to book the Novotel in central Ypres [Ieper]. There's no viable alternative we can find.

It's £75 for a double room, per night, inc breakfast.

There are no single or twin rooms - but each double room has a single bed too [probably sofa bed], so sharing is possible: halving price, if two want to buddy up.

To get this best rate - we need to confirm numbers as there's no flex. We can confirm situation at the Rose & Crown tomorrow eve and I will reserve the next day. Please let me know what you'd like to do by then.

We are currently 8 possibly 9 at mo.
  • Richard has booked 10 rooms in the Hotel Pax in Diksmuide - nice town a few miles north from Ypres. 70 euros [£60] per night inc breakfast - well done Richard.

I think we are an unconfirmed 10 at the moment. More people most welcome - we just need to think carefully about transport. Rooms are twin I believe - so sharing an easy option.

Let richard@ccashwell.com or james@ccashwell.com know if you're interested.

Friday 11th will easily fit in an afternoon ride east.

Saturday is the big day - will post a mapmyride route soon. Taking in the Kemmelberg;
    http://www.rapha.cc/the-kemmelberg
    and errr... the St Sixtus 'world's finest beer' Trappist Brewery [near the end maybe?]
    http://www.whitebeertravels.co.uk/sixtus.html

Sunday recovery ride - and back home in the evening reasonable time.
  • We are back down to 9 at the moment
    Hence 1 spare place in existing cars and a room booked
    Let Richard maynard or Andy Bartlett know this Sunday
    Will need a cheque for £200 if you want to go
    It will be great fun
    lots of stories to be told !
    Get this last place while you can
  • Here is my planned ride for Saturday, it does not include the Abbey as this would have cut the route too much. For those of you who don't think it's far enough in a day, look at the profile!

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/be/pontymoile/996124968460260915

Richard
  • Now booked half board
    so two evening meals booked
    eat out for x 3 lunch ( need euros )
    price now £240 for travel / hotel + breakfast / 2 evening meals
    (drink excluded )
    So £240 if still to pay - please do so this week
    Cheque payable to James Boyle
    £40 balance to come before trip if already paid

9 definate / 1 maybe to confirm with monies

James
  • 10 now confirmed
    both cars fully booked

please get any monies to me this week

James
  • Brilliant guys...only sorry to miss the first in 6 years..have a really great time....look forward to hearing the exploits of the weekend..well those than can be printed anyway..........Geoff
  • Please could everyone who suspects that I don't have their e-mail address on richard@ccashwell.com. I'll start a group e-mail in order that we can organise as we get closer to the date.

Everyone should bring a camera as the best photos will be put on the website.
  • Cars to be split as follows

James Boyle / Tim Skelding / John Riddett / Andy Bartlett / Stef Dixon
    Richard Maynard / Martin Hall / Martin Lawless / Mark Constable / Vincent Friedlander

But 4 bikes on mine and 6 on Richard
    Bring bikes + bag night before

Send an e-mail to richard and I if not already done so

Thanks for cheques I will not cash them until Sept
  • Mark C / Vincent F can you give me the £40 balance
    Will have all the monies in then
    thanks

James
  • All three routes on Google - Copy and paste into the header.

Route 1

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=diksmuide&daddr=Veldstraat+to:Haringstraat+to:passendale+to:Basculestraat+to:50.856893,2.81765+to:N333%2FSteentjemolenstraat+to:Sint-Sixtdreef+to:Maria+Doolaeghestraat%2FN35&geocode=%3BFTJ_CgMdtoYsAA%3BFcjxCAMdnOktAA%3B%3BFZz-BwMdCh8sAA%3B%3BFRZmCAMdeIUqAA%3BFYaDCAMdYmYpAA%3BFXqvCgMdfLwrAA&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=2&mrsp=5&sz=12&via=1,2,5,6&dirflg=w&doflg=ptm&sll=50.85776,2.784691&sspn=0.107494,0.22007&ie=UTF8&ll=50.945017,2.870865&spn=0.214585,0.44014&z=11

Route 2

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Diksmuide,+West+Flanders,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium&daddr=Sasstraat,+Boezinge+8904+Ypres,+West+Flanders,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium+to:Oostkaai,+Ypres,+West+Flanders,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium+to:ypres+to:Pannenhuisstraat,+Ypres,+West+Flanders,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium+to:Kemmel+Heuvelland,+West+Flanders,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium+to:Kemmelbergweg+to:Kemmelbergweg,+Heuvelland,+West+Flanders,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium+to:Kemmelbergweg,+Heuvelland,+West+Flanders,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium+to:D318%2FRue+de+M%C3%A9teren+to:Unknown+road+to:Rue+du+Clocher,+59114+Eecke,+Nord,+Nord-Pas+de+Calais,+France+to:Route+du+Korten+Loop,+59114+Saint-Sylvestre-Cappel,+Nord,+Nord-Pas+de+Calais,+France+to:Rue+Notre+Dame,+59670+Cassel,+59670,+France+(Cassel)+to:Voie+Romaine,+59380+Steene,+Nord,+Nord-Pas+de+Calais,+France+to:Bergues,+Nord,+Nord-Pas+de+Calais,+France+to:Sint-Rijkersstraat,+8690+Alveringem,+West+Flanders,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium+to:Dodengangstraat+to:diksmuide&hl=en&geocode=FfauCgMdmLIrAA%3BFdvDCAMdT44rAA%3BFU1KCAMdsdQrAA%3B%3BFUmpBwMdY8MrAA%3B%3BFb7SBgMdIP0qAA%3BFePhBgMdeKIqAA%3BFePhBgMdeKIqAA%3BFQrYBgMdmKcpAA%3BFaHzBgMd34goAA%3BFRLTBgMdk6YnAA%3BFYqyBgMdeswmAA%3B%3BFVmKCQMdJcQjAA%3B%3BFWxWCgMdqCUpAA%3BFbzvCgMdfFgrAA%3B&mra=ls&via=6,9,10&dirflg=w&doflg=ptm&sll=50.90778,2.612625&sspn=0.429519,0.88028&ie=UTF8&z=10

Route 3

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=diksmuide&daddr=IJzerdijk+to:IJzerdijk+to:IJzerdijk+to:Nieuwendammeweg+to:Boterdijk+to:westende-bad+to:Koninginnelaan%2FN34+to:N325%2FSpermaliestraat+to:Gistel,+West+Flanders,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium+to:Brugse+Heerweg+to:51.046035,2.887001+to:diksmuide&geocode=%3BFdvnCgMdD18rAA%3BFYZTCwMdhUwrAA%3BFUegCwMdf3YrAA%3BFXM1DAMdE4MqAA%3BFdRyDAMd_0AqAA%3B%3BFUAPDQMduP4qAA%3BFW6RDAMd9HErAA%3BFY-UDAMdoEYtAA%3BFdgoCwMdrEUsAA%3B%3B&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=3&mrsp=11&sz=13&via=1,2,3,4,5,8,10,11&dirflg=w&doflg=ptm&sll=51.062005,2.916698&sspn=0.053511,0.110035&ie=UTF8&ll=51.061034,2.892323&spn=0.053512,0.110035&z=13
  • Cheers Richard. For memory/ease - I've made the browser links a bit more 'carbon fibre';

Route 1
    tiny.cc/belgium1

Route 2
    tiny.cc/belgium2

Route 3
    tiny.cc/belgium3
  • The routes are now on my maps, I've taken the Cassel cobble descent out after much moaning from one of the participants.

However the Kemmelberg is still in, please see the below link for an idea of what we're doing!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kemmelberg23.jpg
  • edited August 2009
    Here's the trip soundtrack. I'll get them ready for the cars. In the meantime, you can listen to it all now, for free, if you use Spotify.

1. Django Reinhardt – La Mer - Beyond The Sea
    2. Ray Charles – If You Go Away
    3. CJ Bolland – Sugar Is Sweeter
    4. Scott Walker – Jackie
    5. Front 242 – Headhunter
    6. Soulwax – Any Minute Now
    7. Heinz – Just Like Eddie
    8. Ron Sexsmith – Brandy Alexander
    9. The Durutti Column – For Belgian Friends
    10. Fields Awake – Ypres
    11. Suicide – 23 Minutes Over Brussels

Django Reinhardt is Belgian apparently; appropriate tune for crossing the channel too.
    Ray Charles' 'If you go away' was written by the great Belgian artist Jacques Brel as was 'Jackie'.
    CJ Bolland grew up in Antwerp.
    Front 242, Lords of Acid and Soulwax are all Belgians.
    'Just like Eddie' is tenuous (think Eddie Mercxx)!
    'Brandy Alexander' was on the soundtrack of 'In Bruges' (different version though).
    Durutti Column track speaks for itself.
    'Fields Awake' ditto.
    Finished off by a live recording of Alan Vega’s cult band Suicide of a gig in Brussels that ended in a riot. Watch out Diksmuide!
  • Sounds interesting
    Will have to show me how to get onto my ipod
    so my car can appreciate the craftmanship

Many thanks for the change of descent
    my lower regions do not want to do that again
    However I suspect this is simply for a greater agony
    Some of us have standard gearing
    No use of triples ( or compacts come to that ) I assume is the trip motto

I should also have my new motor by then
    might need to find an autobahn
    record with bikes on the back is ........
    make sure the straps are tight

James
  • For info
    will be paying cheques in end of this week
    James
  • Half Board confirmed by hotel and one vegitarian meal ordered and confirmed.

Richard
  • Better add Paschendale (by Iron Maiden) to the trip playlist, for a serious note:

http://open.spotify.com/track/4k4rkngBPDo9GBM7GgqXeQ

John
  • Need to load up cars thursday night
    please bring bikes between 7.30 and 8pm for my car
    also a bag for the trip with your stuff
    passport / shoes / helmet
    new car came today / tow bar works / insurance done

round to me at 5.55am for 6am departure on friday morning

bring it on !
  • Have a good one Guys........will miss this.....all that lovely food and wine plus the cycling
  • I would also like all bikes and kit down at mine on Thursday night please.

Richard
  • Weather forecast for Ypres good...

http://www.accuweather.com/world-forecast2.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&locCode=EUR|BE|BE011|YPRES&metric=1
  • Have mapped out Stage 2 Saturday on mapmyride [there was nowt on the telly]. Check out the elevation.

Richard - let's pick up that chat about a bonus 20 miles along the canal for those that want to go 100 - with a rendezvous point back with the group?

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/be/diksmuide/173125236059294280

Forecast still good - very warm 25 degrees. Hot cobbles...
  • Just picked up all the news. Sorry James, will get a cheque or cash for £40
    to you asap or would it now be simpler for you to have the cash on Friday/Thursday pm?

looking forward to the sound track.
    Can I make a request for Motor Head's Ace of Spades. That should keep us all awake and has nothing to do with
    the western front or anything remotely appropriate.
    Alternatively Monster by The Automatic
    Mussorgsky - pictures at an exhibition
    Allegri's Miserere - 1963 recording?

see you on the weekend

vincent
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XND3XXqt76Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pNk4AiaPn8&feature=related

probably the finest ever recording of this..........I was lead choirister at St Peters t Abans at the same time,,,I sang this also, but never with the beauty and purity of Roy Goodmans recording..simply heaven to hear.
  • Geoff,

i must study youtube more. it is a haunting recording. i can only profess to having heard it on Radio 4 recently but it is an amazing. Didn't know you had pipes?

vincent
  • hidden talents ALL of us........don't help pushing the pedals faster though does it???
  • Can you get to my house for 7pm in my car
    gets dark at 8pm , but not back from work until 6.45pm

Bring your bike and a bag for the 3 days
    Friday on the road for 6am latest , hence 5.50am at mine
    we arrive hotel ,have lunch in town , get changed then ride on Fri

Last bike needs to go to Richard
    4 to me and 6 with Richard

We find out if Tim S is the main man Thurs
    bring any outstanding for him
    Mark and Vincent to pay £40 balance to me

No mobiles unless in your room please

No triples or compacts, only testosterone permitted