Welcome to the forum

9.00am Saturday 03 May - Post-Easter Blue Egg Ride

edited April 2014 in Club runs
As well as the usual club ride, there will also be a ride to The Blue Egg Cafe, Great Bardfield, Essex, CM7 5PY

The Blue Egg from Ashwell via Hare Street - 36 miles:

The Blue Egg from Royston via Hare Street - 31 miles:

The Blue Egg from Royston direct - 26 miles:

The Ashwell group will leave The Three Tuns at 9.00am sharp!

The Royston group will leave THE ROYSTON SPORTING CLUB, Therfield Heath, Baldock Road, Royston, SG8 5BG at 9.00am - FREE PARKING.

The two groups will meet at Hare Street (where the B1368 crosses the B1038) at about 9.50am. Or for those riding direct from Royston – we will go strait to The Blue Egg.

As it's an out & back linear ride with a cafe stop in the middle, we may split into a couple of groups to accommodate the pace required by all i.e. fast as well as steady. The return route home can be varied on the day if we wish.

For cafe and route details please follow these links:

http://www.theblueegg.co.uk/index.html

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/227415141

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/227405619

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/386131914

**David and Tom may not be around 3 May so we will need a navigator for the group that will be riding from Ashwell, please put your name up here if you are able to volunteer to do this**.

Comments

• Hi John

Karen and I are in! See you at the Heath

Peter
  • I'll be there too.
  • edited May 2014
    Pete, Karen & Tim and whoever else rocks up, I'll see you at The Heath

Is there a 'FROM ASHWELL NAVIGATOR' around please....?
  • I'll be there (at a steady pace!)
  • Okay then Yvonne....great, when you say 'there' do you mean Ashwell or Royston?

Mark B. (kit) has said he will also be joining us to ride from Royston, he also prefers a steady pace ride.

Who were the guys from Littlington and Bassingbourn (a mountain biker!) that came on the intro a few weeks ago - are you joining us?
  • Linda & I will be riding from Ashwell. I'm happy to navigate to Hare street.
  • .gpx data all loaded and working on the Garmin.
    I will join you at Sandon on your way through.
  • Thanks PeterG & Gilamesh -

It's good we have a navigator from Ashwell. I'll be going straight down to the BE from Royston and so will some of the others also. Anyone that does go from Royston via Hare Street should arrive before you and wait. However, if there is no one around, don't wait, just go straight on to the BE. The road from Thaxted to Great Barfield is still in a shocking state, although they have now painted orange lines around the pot holes for at least part of the way along the route - then they ran out of paint!
  • Great ride today, really enjoyed it, thanks John for organising it.
  • edited May 2014
    No problem Tim....

I'm just pleased that none of our 13 eggs got cracked dodging what must be Essex Highways best pot holes! I like the fact that some of them are even given a number. Is this so that you can vote for your favourite? Why don't they just fix them for goodness sake....

...but poor ol' Roy hey...!
  • Maybe they're going to keep them, it's like the hairpin bends of Alpe d'Huez - the 25 potholes of the Blue Egg...!

Did Roy make it back ok?
  • I joined Roy after Buntingford 'til I peeled off in Sandon. We were taking it easy, but he said he'd be fine on the run down to his place in Hinxworth so I do hope so. At least his shoes and cleats were once again working.

We all have "off" days, when we question why we're riding at all, but clearly he needs to be at the Dr's first thing Tuesday morning, or if he's nothing pending this w/end, A&E, as this is 'oft the best fast-track to X-rays & several young medicals brains in one place.
  • Enjoyed that. Thanks all
    Think somebody needs to tell the council what sort of services are customary at the 19th hole
  • Thanks for organising this John
    Karen and I really enjoyed the ride.
  • Gilgamesh, I would certainly agree with all your suggestions.

Mark and I rode with him to Newport, where we tried to persuade to catch the train to Cambridge. (Change at Cambridge for Ashwell or Baldock etc.) This would have been a very easy escape route for him, but he wouldn't hear of it.
  • Got there two days late on a solo ride!

Hitchin-Blue Egg- Hitchin, 78 miles @16mph. Mostly a side/headwind on the way there, but easier on the return. Huge bacon sarnie & pot of tea were urgently required at halfway.

The place was packed, inside and out. Met a couple who will be officials nearby on the Monday stage of the Tour de France...I'm getting excited already. Agree on the state of the roads...I bet they fix them for the TdF!