Welcome to the forum

Saturday morning Grass Track, this Saturday!

edited April 2014 in Grass Track
Folks,
We will hopefully start Saturday morning grass track sessions from this Saturday. They might be a bit hit and miss depending on who is around but ill use this thread to keep everyone informed.
Time...9.30 for a 10 start probably until 11.30-12.00.
Over 16's only, no experience required, bring your normal road pedals and helmet and we will do our best to sort you out with a bike. £3 per session.

As i mentioned in the May Velodrome thread, this is a great way to learn the basics if you are new to track riding. I had suggested the 10th May for a beginner session but any or all Saturdays before the 24th will be just as good.

Now, i am planning on coaching it this Saturday but there is a chance that i might have to take my son to football. I will let you know. Oh and it needs to be dry as well.

Comments

• Tim.... I'm up for this from mid May.
    And racing.
  • I've been really looking forward to getting back on the grass track again!

So is this Saturday just a normal session rather than a beginner's one?
  • Doing the Blue Egg this Saturday but looking forward to trying it out on the 10th as prep for the velodrome!
  • Definitely coming to these
  • Def will come along again to these, though cant make it this Sat as we are at hog hill.
  • Right then, i am on football duty this Saturday so wont be able to start this week, but we will definately start on the 10th.

We can run both beginner and more experienced groups, hopefully see some regulars and some velodrome starters there.
  • Oh dear, forecast looks terrible in the morning, very little chance we will be able to get on the grass so i will say now that this is off. If the weather changes dramatically ill let you know here that its on but i think that is rather unlikely

Try again next Saturday.
  • As stated in the velodrome thread the weather looks good for this Saturday. But lets make it 9.00 for 9.30 as i have to be away by 11.30.

All welcome experienced or not.
  • Planning to be there tomorrow, are we still shooting for 9?
  • Great, yes 9 or shortly after, would be nice to get started by 9.30.

Going to be a lovely morning!
  • edited May 2014
    Here's a challenge for tomorrow morning...

Every week at our Thurs evening youth coaching session the members of Group 1 do a "T10" time trial on the track: they start together and cover as many laps as possible in exactly 10 minutes. They can choose to work together in groups or ride individually, counting their own laps.

Last night two of the Under 14s covered 16.5 laps and another covered 17.

Let us know how you get on! :)

Mark F

P.S. The track is in fantastic condition right now.
  • Looking forward to it, never done it before, should be great fun!

So if I just ride over on my road bike the plan is to just transfer pedals to the track bike? Do you have spanners etc or should I bring one?

Tim
  • Yep, thats it. We have spanners.

T10 sounds a good one. 17 laps is very good going!
  • see you at 9
  • should be there

can't wait!
  • thanks tim!!!
  • Thanks Tim, that was great fun, and an excellent intro to track riding - bring on the velodrome next weekend!

And I think a fixie has just become top of the list of bikes I, er, 'need'...
  • Thanks for a fab morning, especially to Tim for his time and tution, and everyone for the good company and general fun. And I agree, it is a, umm, "need", of course. Quite so...
  • Trying to plan out my weekend, do we think grass track will happen this Saturday? Weather looks a bit uncertain.
  • It might John, although nearly all relevant participants are at the velodrome from 9-12noon. So it is unlikely I would say.
  • Aha, I hadn't computed that part. Thanks Geoff.
  • Sorry John, we will all be at the velodrome Sat morning.....in the dry! by the way we have had a few drop out so you could come if you are looking for something to do.
  • Do I not need to be accredited or some such to ride at the velodrome?

I assume they have rental bikes?
  • Accreditation not needed for this session and rental bikes are available. Do come and join us
  • Yay, I got clearance.

I will sign up in the appropriate thread.
  • I will be at smallgains this saturday for some track action. Either a bit of training or a bit of practice for the club champs on the 28th. over 16's, all abilities and experience. 9.30.

Looks like it might even be dry!
  • Will try for some grass track in the morning but the weather looks a little uncertain. will post later when the forecast is a bit clearer.
  • Being a novice to grass track, how much rain stops play? A bit, a lot or any at all?
  • Rule 9 applies
  • Hah. That's the thing Stuart, I don't think it does. I think it's a grass welfare issue.