Welcome to the forum

Sunday 2nd August

edited August 2009 in Club runs
I am cycling to Hollesley in Suffolk tomorrow to meet Ann at the Suffolk Punch trust (horses).....due east of Ipswich near the coast....I am leaving about 8.30am from the garage...route via Saffron Walden..Radwinter...The Clares...anyone wanting to start out with me and loop back is welcome...The route to Radwinter then back via Ashborne, Balsham and Fulbourne/Shelfords is about 65 miles......

Have a great ride tomorrow the rest of you

Comments

• Geoff,
    sounds like a good route (similar to route on 19th, but plan to ride from 9am as i need a route i can follow someone back on or know myself.
    enjoy your ride. if you leave at 9am i am sure we could join you for half your ride.
    regards,

Vincent
  • O.K. vincent.........I'll delay till 9.00 if there are others........phil Adams was going and he knows the route back
  • How about a cafe stop at Finchingfield [i believe there are two] before turning back? Total about 60-65miles there and back.
  • Interesting Martin...My route takes me on towards Steeple Bumpstead on the 1054 to Clare....if you are doing the Balsham Fulbourne you need to strike north to Ashdon from Radwinter....If you are planning a southerly return via Finchingfield..great place by the way...then great...I'll see you at 9.00 for the start.

cheers G
  • edited August 2009
    12 out in the medium with Geoff. Max, Tim G, Strappy, Kevin, Rob, Stuart, Jim Rees, his St Ives cc mate Josh and two of Max's mates over from NZ. They were a bit good. Maybe they'd have been happier with the fast boys? Anyway, we did a good job of showing them the countryside, past Audley End and on to Finchingfield for a cafe stop [milky coffee £2.10 at Bosworths]. 30 miles in - and all good for a total 60-65 miles in the return, but then we proceeded - like a damaged Bismarck - to be unable to turn right. Should have gone to Debden, then Brent Pelham, then the water tower at Throcking - but missed them all. Ah well. 73 miles in the end, 17.8mph ave - felt quite steady in the good weather and light wind: a true middle group pace. Everyone doing their bit. Got back late though 1.45pm.

Good to see Stuart back after 'doing a Voight' in Majorca. Hope Rob got back ok: bonked at Cottered. Nice to see Max is mortal - having to request carbs from the group! Hope Geoff got on ok [tailwind all the way eh?].

Map of route;
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/null/ashwell/412124923791153237
  • yup Martin..tail wind was just great.........90 miles at 17.5av. included a sandwich stop at Clare in the sunshine and a superb coffee break at Long melford.so probably knocked the average a bit for the 25 minutes stopped in all...a fantastic route through the country to Hollesley and the suffolk Punch Trust.........thanks to everyone for the company for the first 25 miles........sorry to hear you missed a couple of turns.sounded a good ride in all.......cheers