Welcome to the forum

LEJOG 14 May - solo

edited May 2014 in General
If anyone has any gems of knowledge about this the ride which they wish to impart, I have just over a week to finalise my plans.

Taking my time, camping mostly, and taking in the sights along the way, but if anyone has tips I would appreciate your thoughts.

Comments

• We can give you the route we did as GPS files...
    but you'll probably have a camping route in mind.
  • Yes, the initial route I have in mind is available as .gpx files from the Cicerone website, thanks.

I hope to do some side detours, in particular, NW Scotland, but we'll see how it pans out.
  • Hi Tim. I didn't find it very easy to get the gpx files from Cicerone when I was doing my research.
    In the end I decided to plot my own route and then map it on map my ride. Only one person to blame if it all goes pear-shaped!!! The CTC is also good for reference, they've got a whole section devoted to lejog.
    Not sure if this is helpful as my trip is yet to happen. Good luck with yours.
  • edited May 2014
    Thanks.

I noted the CTC site, I guess I might spend some £, sign-up and use the resource.

When are you off on your trip? Solo too?

Cheers.
  • I didn't get any camping notes as I'm heading for a comfy bed each night! Happy to pass on yha stuff if its useful? Also got ctc notes for a fast route.
    My trip starts on 7th June. Also solo and unsupported. (Sounds like I have no friends!!)
  • edited May 2014
    By 07th, I can pass on notes to you as I hope to be in N Scotland by then. I may take the scenic route all the way around the top, it remains to be seen though.

I am photographing the ride, so that's my real purpose, so early mornings and late evenings are the order of the day & have a Dawes S.G. for the purpose to allow me to see more than just the tarmac in front of my nose. There might be a pub or two along the way too!
  • edited May 2014
    Cornwall was magisterial, wild, busy in parts, 36hrs at Landsend & you can see why people settle here. Took a 1/2 day surf lesson. I was rubbish, but a lifestyle to sign up to. I shot a number of paid jobs down the N Coast, but cycling along, solo, just magical.

Some steep climbs. An adventure. I want to ride or walk some more here. Rewarding.

Devon, similar, less than Cornwall, but not in any way less interesting. Red soil.

Somerset levels were delightful. Islands for sure and lovely on the eye. Fun riding.

Bristol I believe is one of the most satisfying places to live in the UK. I concurr. I stayed a night and I am still suffering.

Monmouthshire, impressed. A Back route out from Chepstow, I am quite spellbound. So "English " yet this is Wales. Stunning in a quiet, unassuming, unpretentious manner. Think "Hockney".

The truth is, I sat in some farmer's field for 30 mins, at one point, not 10 miles out of Chelmsford, just soaking in the panorama. I have no adequate words to tell you more. Extraordinary.

A quiet day tomorrow as I have 6 lectures booked in at the Hay on Wye Festival for Friday / Saturday. So I must head over the valley (?) as I am 8 (?) miles N of Monmouth. Not really sure, I have been making up as I go along somewhat.

Pitched my tent at 8pm this evening. Life simply does not get much better that this.
    Let me reiterate: Life simply does not get better than this.

Drifting along with a camera......... In the UK landscape in mid May. Top that.

As a counter poise - after visiting an Ex and a sister .... a few days at the Isle of Man TT in a week's time. I have been 3 times before, but always on my 748 or the GIXer thou'. The Mountain Circuit on a Dawes SG touring bike- makes me laugh just thinking about the Mountain a Circuit.

The Lakes. So many,many previous adventures, from the age of 15 when I walked the C2C in 6.5 days. Is this my most favoured place? Some hill climbs to tackle on my new girlfriend, DawesSG, after leaving my bags with A.N.other.

I have some HPB apartments available should I want and I suspect a day's Mtbing in Whinlatter Forest with a hire bike might suffice.

Arran thereafter.
    Then Oban. Best fish & chips in the UK?
  • Rode the Fred Whitton route these past two days, but as a leisure ride, not in one go. Hardknott followed by Wrynose at 100 miles! Truly fab'' scenery. One for the To Do list for sure.
    Has anyone done the event from CCA?

IOM TT was an absolute blast as always, such speeds as to be bordering on insanity. 3ft from a super bike doing 150 mph, crazy stuff. I confined myself to the coastal routes instead of the Circuit.

Heading up to Carlisle and the Borders via the back roads tomorrow, Isle of Arran, Oban and maybe the NW Highlands and Islands. An opportunity to cultivate a liking for Whiskey perhaps?
  • Just had this from Tim F...Gilgamesh. Makes for nice reading and much respect.
    "Internet sketchy is, at best, so do not expect daily updates. Likewise, I have to remember to take the iPhone out so I can add images ; most everything is on the Sony with the Leica glass ready for post production in weeks ahead so the iPhone camera is something of an afterthought.

A number of patterns , various series of images are emerging, road signs, telephone & post boxes, people portraits, some landscapes, gravestones, you name it, I have been stopping to record the changing landscape of this land.

I can tell you that the unconditional good will afforded me is simply humbling, really, everyone has a half full glass, everyone has stories to tell me , share with me. Britain is, by my reckoning in quite excellent "health".

The more people I meet, speak with, I am convinced we just might be the finest, genuine people on the finest set of islands I have yet travelled through. Ain't that great?

From the very tip of Cornwall to the most Westerly islands I have yet visited here on Skye, everyone has time, space, stories, friendship, to extend, unconditionally to me. Maybe being on a bike makes people grant one unconditional good will, I am unsure, what I can tell you, it works, being on two wheels.

Mike Carter spoke of much of this in his excellent 2012 book, "One Man and his Bike" when, having edited the Letters to the Editor for two years (?) he'd become so convinced Britain was terminally broken, he felt a need to ride the coast of Britain. If you want a laugh-out-loud, feel good book, this is the one to read this summer & you too might get an insight into what I too am experiencing for myself. Brilliant.

Applecross in a couple of days, so fingers crossed for good weather, it's reputation is of broken spirits and trashed egos, especially if the weather is poor, making Hardknott Pass a distant pleasant memory by comparison
  • edited June 2014
    Orkney Isles in the morrow.

Abandoned the whole JEJOG idea quite some time ago, now I am cycle touring around the coast of Britain-ish, if anyone asks, but will enjoy the John O Groats sideshow in a couple of days.

Most likely back tracking to Melvich, then south, and a convoluted route south down the various glens wending my way to my train out of Inverness for the Geoff TdF party on the 02nd.

Then a return train, collect my bike and continue into the Cairngorms.
  • Bringing this back as I have been on the road since mid May, stopping VERY often, and have so far taken in the region of 1.5 T'bad of images and over 3,000 miles around Britain.

I have sent out 4 updates, which are reasonably involved, not really for forums such as this I suspect, though if anyone wants them, do let me know.

Will likely wind things up 01 October, it will be getting chilly by then.

Next, the USA, the quintesinal Road Trip, which, for me, can trace its roots back to Mark Twain's 1884's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, through ...... well, I could go on, but I won't. Exciting times ahead, amazing times behind, living an absolute peach of the present too.