Welcome to the forum

Crank question for power meter

edited May 2014 in General
I'm currently looking at power meter options, probably for later this year. Stages seems to be the best value and has good reviews, however, they don't do a carbon crank. This is fine for my training bike and TT bike, SRAM Apex and Rival, but my race bike is SRAM Red with carbon cranks. Part of the appeal with the Stages is that it is easily interchangeable amongst multiple bikes.

My question is this. Can you have an alloy left crank and carbon right crank? Would it affect performance in any way? I know the weight of the alloy crank will be heavier, but as the right had the Chainset on, I don't know if it would make a difference?

Any opinion is appreciated.

Luke

Comments

• I have Stages in the Shimano guise. It is surprisingly good and correlates really well with the data I have from my PowerTap (in repair). When the PT comes back, I will be able to validate side by side, but for now the data is good for what it is. But the inherent limitation of a left leg only measurement should be considered. This will be more significant for some individuals than for others.

If I was to buy a single PM, I'd look at P2M as it has been around a bit longer, has been troubleshot extensively, is only a bit more expensive than Stages, and only marginally more difficult to move between bikes.

If you are decided on Stages, then it's by no means a bad choice. Two minutes changeover between bikes is a real plus!

As to your specific question, I can't think of any reason why an alloy non-drive crank wouldn't work with your Red chainset. The weight penalty will be piffling. Obviously make sure all your cranks are the same length.
  • DC Rainmaker's site is great for kit comparisons.

The only reference I can find to mixing carbon & alloy cranks is comment no 48 on this page Review which says it's ok but doesn't say who said so.

Maybe contact the SRAM tech support dept
  • Cheers both. The price is also a big factor and at only £599 (likely to be able to get 10% off aswell) it's a lot cheaper than P2M which would be my first choice. Just need a Garmin 510 or 810 to sort out the data!
  • Edge 500 is what you want Luke if you're looking to save a few bob.
  • I like the 510 at 80grams, but like the idea of the mapping for a bit of exploring on the 810, it's on 98grams so not much more.
  • i'd be more concerned about the price than the weight! I have a 705 from years ago that is great for maps and general training. Really reliable and seems to be fairly bulletproof so far and a 500 for training/racing. the 500 isn't as quick as the 705 but once it's up and running, it's brilliant and does everything you need. you can get them fairly cheap on wiggle i think, mine was a reconditioned one. the GPS route function on it is a bit pap. It works, but it's no way near as useful as the 705 for directions... I almost bought an 810 last year from a mate but it fell through. I shed a tear, the price he wanted was rather outrageously good...