Welcome to the forum

Rapha Women's 100

edited May 2014 in Sportives
On the 20th July, there is the second running of the Rapha womens 100, a global event to encourage women to cycle 100km in a day. Seven of us cycled last year, both CCA members and guests, and I think we ought to do it again! Will post the route nearer the time, but for those who came last year, I was thinking of roughly the same, with lunch at Waresley. We’ll aim for 20 kph / 13 mph, leaving at 9.30am from the grass track in Ashwell.
Also please tell your friends who don't normally cycle with us, as Rapha are encouraging as many women to cycle that day as possible. 4000 women took part worldwide last year, this year Rapha are looking to double that. Seven of us rode last year, it would be nice to double our numbers too, but we have to remember that this is a fun, unmarshalled ride, and we ride at our own risk.
Thanks, Susan

Comments

• Hi Susan,

I would be interested but that date is also the Evans Cambridge sportive starting from Wimpole Hall. I know there are a few of us signed up for the 90 mile route that day.

Vicky
  • That's a shame, but that's the day that Rapha have decreed the ride takes place! We could do it again, perhaps sometime in September. What do you think?
  • Here we are, official approval!
    http://pages.rapha.cc/womens-100-rides/ashwell-womens-100
    Susan
  • Don't forget, if you are coming on this ride (please do) follow the link to register your interest with Rapha.
    Thanks, Susan
  • I would have liked to do this ride but am also doing the Cambridge Sportive. If it happens at a later date...yes please!
  • N.B. From Evans:-

"For all our female entrants, Ride It Cambridge coincides with the Rapha Women's 100 where they're challenging women across the world to ride 100km on the same day. Our medium course comes in at 101km so just enough to complete the challenge."

https://www.facebook.com/events/400448316754318/?fref=ts#
  • Yes, thanks for that. The problem is that Evans charge £17.50 to do their ride whilst the Rapha one is free of charge. I did think about combining the two but it wouldn't be appropriate to ask people to pay Evans to effectively take part in a Rapha ride. Now if Evans offered to give free entry to Rapha registered riders, that might be a different matter. I'm happy to do the route again towards the end of the year if anyone is interested.
  • Susan,

Selfishly I'm more than happy to do the route later in the year due to being injured at the moment and consequently not yet back on the road. I also have an entry available for the Evans ride on Sunday going free but would have to be taken by a lady as Evans don't allow transfers so would have to sign in under my name. I hope you get enough interest for your ride and wish I was there.

Vicky
  • Definitely interested for later in year. Thanks. Had I known this was on same day, I know what I would have opted for.....
  • Hello,Susan,
    Looking forward to this great ride again.See you in the morning.
  • Well, shall be copy today's stage? Lots of climbing, attacking breakaways, followed by a summit finish? No?.... Ok, we'll go via Shuttleworth then! We'll avoid the Cambridge direction as that's been hijacked by those pesky Evans people. Sorry to hear of your injury Vicky, I think we should do the route again, how about in two months, Sunday 21st September? Will you be ok then? Would that suit you too, Yvonne?
    Susan
  • Hope you all had a good ride today. I'm away 21st September but any other date would be great. Thanks Yvonne
  • Three of us ventured out from Ashwell, over Shefford and Shuttleworth way, to lunch at Jordan's Mill. We then went up to Gamlingay, finishing with a blast down Croydon Hill to get us home via G. Morden. (How fast did you go, Linda!?) A good day out, at 14.3mph, (compared to 13mph last year) with no incidents. So many, many thanks to Linda and Ros for supporting this ride, looking forward to next year already. If there is an appetite for a rerun, how would Sunday 28th suit if Yvonne can't do the 21st?
    Do post, and thanks again.
    Susan
  • Well done Susan - I wondered how you got on. Unfortunately I had the children so couldn't join you this year. I'd love to do it again with you so if I'm free when you re-organise then I shall aim to be there. just never know which weekends I'm avialable until nearer the time.
  • edited August 2014
    Today I received my badge for participating from Rapha. (Typical Rapha, they call it a commemorative roundel) they also sent some stats from this year's event, here are some nuggets!
    8,200 riders took part worldwide (of which 834 were men!)
    The total distance ridden was equivalent to 10 circumnavigations of the Earth.
    It was 400% increase of kilometres ridden compared to 2013.
    58 countries were involved.
    It was the subject of 1 honeymoon.
    I'll post the date for 2015 as soon as I know it, but in the meantime does anyone feel like having a go at the Rapha Festive 500?
    Susan
  • edited September 2014
    All change... If this is still going ahead in September, I am around on the 21st but away on the 28th!
  • congratulations! I'm definitely going for festive 500 this year, keep feeling gutted i miss it

you attempting it Susan?
  • I'm around on Sunday 21st or 28th, if the 100 rerun is going ahead? Sounds like fun!
  • Hi! Yes, love to do the ride again and would prefer the 28th September. So, who's coming? Olly and I are also seriously looking at the Festive 500 and it would be nice to make it a club event somehow. Will give it some thought...
  • Are we still on for Sunday 28th? Hopefully we'll get some better weather than yesterday. Anyone else coming...it could get competitive if it's just me and Susan!
  • Karen is up for this!

Details?
  • Ok! Let's go on Sunday. We'll go from the Three Tuns at 9.00am, aim for lunch at Jordan's Mill, back at the Three Tuns by early afternoon. It will only become competitive if a stop watch is used(!), we're aiming for a pace that comfortably suits all.
    Thanks, everyone for your interest.
    Susan
  • Sorry Susan - family commitment early afternoon in London - so won't make this one
    Perhaps I could start out with you & then turn back....
    If not appropriate have a good one...
  • I'm sure that would be fine, the route I have in mind never goes too far from Ashwell. What time do you have to be back for?
    Susan
  • Sounds good. I'm away with work until late sat night and so won't be deciding until sun morning if I can do it - based on whether I wake up in time! Maybe see you sun - will you be posting the route in advance?
  • Can do, although it won't be a ride off our "official" list, it could go on later, of course. Will finalise tomorrow. Weather looks ok for Sunday at the moment.
  • Can't make this Susan as have the children - shame. Have a lovely day. Hopefully you'll get similar weather to today - it'll be lovely.
  • All ok for tomorrow? (Except Gwen and Linda, well, we'll just have to do it again...) the route is a mixture of lots of club runs, like two bridges, the Gransdens, Barrington, and even a little bit of the "sausage rouler". Setting out from Ashwell, we will go out to Shepreth, up to Bourne and Gransdens, through Potton and Biggleswade to Holme. We'll have lunch at Jordan's Mill, so you might want to bring a bike lock. We will finish looking at the Autumn colours in Old Warden. See you in the morning, bring a snack!
    Susan
  • Thanks Susan, sounds great, see you then.
    Gwen - sorry you can't make it but maybe see you at St Neots on 5th.
  • Many thanks to Susan for organising.
    Louise & I joined for the first part Having time pressure we turned off at Harston.
    We managed 31 miles (a good deal more than we usually do) & kept the pace steady.
    We enjoyed being out again with a group and so have resolved to
    1)aim do the whole ride next time
    2) go out more regularly

With the 2nd aim in mind - should anyone (particularly ladies) want to join us - we will be going out next Sunday for a 30ish mile ride at a steady 14 -15 mph. - probably heading off at about 9.15 so we don't get caught up with the main club runs...