Welcome to the forum

Attention youth riders & parents!: Evans "RideIt!" Cambridge Sportive

edited May 2014 in Youth
WHAT, WHEN, WHERE?

On 20th July there will be a ride organised by Evans Cycles starting and finishing at the National Trust's Wimpole Hall. The event is a great opportunity for a CC Ashwell club ride for youth members of all ages and their parents. You can choose to ride with friends or just tackle the ride at your own pace. If you don't want to ride hard you can take as long as you like, and you can stop whenever you fancy a break.

WHO?

Children are very welcome and they can take part for FREE as long as they are accompanied by a paying adult. Note that this isn't a race - instead, it is a non-competitive "sportive" ride. Anyone can enter - you don't have to be fast, fit or have a fancy bike. There are no prizes - just the satisfaction of having done the ride.

I expect there will one or two thousand riders there. The day's Tour de France action will be shown live on a big screen at Wimpole Hall after the ride too. It will be a great day out.

DISTANCES?

There are several route options ranging in distance from 15 miles to 90 miles. Anyone is welcome to tackle any of the routes, but these are my suggestions:-
  • The 15 mile route would be an excellent challenge for our youngest members
  • The 36 mile route would be an achievement for Under 12 & Under 14 members
  • The 63 mile route would be a real challenge for more experienced Under 14 & Under 16 members
  • And anyone who fancies the 90 mile route will certainly have earned several slices of cake back at Wimpole Hall afterwards
HOW DO I SIGN UP?

Note that this isn't a CC Ashwell session and you must enter it directly yourself. Don't leave it too late as the event is popular and is filling up quickly. If you have any queries though just email/whisper me a message or catch up with me at a Thursday evening coaching session.

And let me know if you decide to sign up, and I'll keep a list of who'll be there from CC Ashwell youth & parents.

Mark F

Comments

• Thanks Mark,

I was looking for a local sportive that let kids enter. Joe and I have signed up for the short route 36 miles.

David
  • The event is still open for entry. Thanks to those parents/youth who have already confirmed that they have entered it.

Mark F
  • Holly and I have booked our place on the Medium
  • The Fields are all in. Noah and Jackie doing the big one and Felix and I the medium
  • I might sign up to do the big one as well. Tom
  • I have signed up for the long one and I know a few of the Saturday club riders have as well. Looks like a good contingent from Ashwell will be there.

Vicky
  • I've signed up for the long ride. see you all there

Peter
  • Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to take part now due to an injury that won't allow me to ride outside at the moment. If there are any ladies interested in my entry it is going free. Only downside is that you would have to sign in under my name as Evans don't allow transfers.

Hopefully I'll be allowed out on the bike in a few weeks time.

Vicky
  • Tough luck, Vicky. Hope you mend quickly
  • Hope it's not too serious Vicky? Look forward to seeing you out again soon.
  • I fractured a bone in my arm 4 weeks ago going over the handlebars of my mountain bike when other riders stopped suddenly in front of me. Was told no sport for 8 weeks so have compromised by using a turbo trainer in the spare room. Not quite the same as being outside but at least it gets me off the sofa.
  • Sorry to hear that Vicky - hope you have a speedy recovery and don't get too bored on the turbo.
  • What time are people planning to head off?

Would be nice to join some other CCA
  • We are looking at getting there for 8-30.
    Peter
  • Perfect plan, see you there.
  • Great to see so many senior and junior riders at this today. Good showing from CCA across all the distances.