Welcome to the forum

3 Peaks 2014

edited May 2014 in Cyclocross/Offroad
Entries open on 1st June. It has to be done....

Can anyone identify this CCA rider seemingly having a quiet chat with himself?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/103798691@N02/10024216473/in/set-72157636058399425

Comments

• that's brilliant... who is it?
  • is that phill?
  • This from the organiser is a bit worrying, dont think we will all get in. It also suggests random allocation......

Registrations have now closed and we have a record level of interest in the race with over 1,000 entries received. The race has a limit of 650 participants in response to requests from local landowners who have concerns regarding the impact of the race on the area. It is noted that we rely entirely on the goodwill of these landowners to provide access for the race route.

A consequence of the ratio of entries against available places will result in a large number of entries being declined.
  • Jackie just got her confirmation invitation email :)
  • So did Theo.

Which sportive do you want to do Stuart?
  • But I've been riding around on land cruisers since applying so surely I must be in?
  • Does anyone want to buy a cyclocross bike?
  • I could do someone a buy one get one free offer. Can also be used for time trials and sportives.
  • Daniel you need to post the Hitler video so people understand
  • For the 3 Peaks Cyclocross race you apply for a place. If successful you are invited to join. The invitations are issued today. Some CCA riders have been successful and others are upset. This video explains the situation (lots of in jokes) LINK
  • that's really v gd :)
  • edited June 2014
    i have not had an email (apart from the one from Laura Ashley offering me 50% off their summer range......)

I have "once used" landcruisers, survival bag and whistle available.......

btw, yes that is me in the picture - that was at the bottom of pen-y-gent, as i searched desperately for the energy to get my battered, spent and aching carcass back on to the bike and drag it up to the top of the last peak....what a great way to spend a sunday
  • more than V. good Jane......sidesplitting. thanks for posting Daniel :-)
  • Just re read the email. Can we assume no one else in the club has a place? Also assume they will email again after the 30th when they know how many have taken up the invite. Suppose there could be a few that don't take it up?
  • Still heard nowt. I assume some of us are on a second chance type thing if lots of first offers dont pay? Doesnt look very likely though.

I have been thinking of a back up plan...i rode the South Downs Way last weekend with a mixed ability bunch over 2 and a half days. Its fantastic, 100 miles all off road, 3500m of climbing, grass, pave, flint tracks and a few very steep 30% sections. All ridable, beautiful scenery and cross bike perfect. I would like to do it in one go and reckon 12 hours should be reasonably achievable. The end of september has 12 hours of daylight, maybe 3 peaks rejects could head south instead? or maybe a ride for all the off roaders next year? It would be rather tricky in the wet as the chalk gets mighty slippy.

....just a thought.
  • Yep - up for that tim
  • Sounds like a great ride, but I'm already triple booked for the 28th :D

Would be very interested in doing this either before September, or next year.
  • Sounds like a great plan Tim but I will still be up North in support role. Expect Daniel will be the same.

Stuart
  • Not sure how this works but have just got invitation from SI to pay for place!!!

Very pleased but unsure how this can be if the 30th was the cut off date for the first lot who got places.
  • Will have to check the diary but would love to do an off road ride. But really 100 miles off road is a serious ask. How about two fifties and a fabulous knees up in the middle ie two day special. Silk sheets of course.
  • There used to be the Maxx exposure event in September. It used to start at Beachyhead at sunset and was 120km along the South Downs way through the night to finish near Petersfield. I did it many years ago and was good fun, but it's not running this year as they can't find a sponsor. The terrain is great even in the dark so daylight would be even better.
  • edited July 2014
    or this....

Lakeland Monster Miles - 62 miles, 2781m of climbing

Fitz Park, Keswick, Cumbria, Sunday 12th October. Both picturesque and challenging - the route is a mix of bridleways, flowing trails, tracks and minor mainly traffic free lanes showing off the full range of what the Lakes have to offer and circumnavigating the Skiddaw Massif. A cross country journey by bike that incorporates a mixture of tracks, trails, lanes, bridleways & roads to create an interesting and challenging route over a variety of terrain and surfaces.

The route has been designed to be 100% rideable on a cyclocross bike (gate opening & closing aside). The on / off road nature of the route makes a crosser the ideal tool but, equally, a mountain bike can also be used.