Welcome to the forum

Club Ride Etiquette

edited August 2009 in General
A request has been made for guidelines to ride etiquette
I think this is a good idea for new starters to the club etc
Whilst these will be guidelines the ethos of the club has been not to have "rules" unless required to do so
So only recommendations I am afraid

Hence will get the committee to discuss as an agenda item
Next meeting not until Oct 2nd due to hols

As a general principle
Club runs should try to stay together
will only drop someone if they are happy to do so and know where they are
option for someone to drop with them
Always a "sprint" into the village so last 5 miles ish pace will pick up
Assume people can find there own way back ( say if you can't)
Up to you to keep up ! Re join for coffee afterwards.

Extended club runs are the same
but need to be fit enough to ride for 3 hours
tend to be during the summer when people want to ride for longer

The medium / fast groups are different
generally up to you to keep up
if dropped should be experienced enough to find own way back , or get back on !
A good idea to partner someone of your own ability and agree to stick together if dropped
( for you to find someone)

So generally look out for people
but you are responsible for yourself
the sprint signs are the same once you know where they are

If you go on Medium / fast you should be experienced enough to deal with this
although the group will stop for mechanicals if they know you have one ( shout)

Rider leaders will look out for people
know who they are and if not sure just stay with them
( not easy in the fast group )

So these are my starters for 10 off the top of my head
will get the committee to come up with a better version

Most of all enjoy your cycling
If not sure or have a problem shout !

James

Chairman

Comments

• Is this the next document that I need to suthor? I'm happy to take on the task as the constitution seems to be accepted.

A couple of points: -

1. If when groups do stop, please find a location where it is safe for everyone to do so and that everyone gets off the road whilst the mechanical/banana! is sorted out.

2. Being the father of Joshua (15yrs) and the club Child Welfare Officer, I am somewhat concerned that Youth riders on the medium/fast rides could get dropped 30 miles out. Someone on these rides needs to be nominated/volunteer to look after these riders in the abscence of the parents. In my case I simply can't keep up and my 12yr olds aren't far behind! (It's all very depressing)
  • No youth should ride on any ride without a CRB checked adult on that ride..first point Richard as i'm sure you would agree..secondly I guarantee to take that role when such a situation occurs...I hope other faster riders with CRB qualifications will also volunteer...Tim Duckett for example..anyone else??

Do we need a document??..........I think James well modulated submission is very good .......the only point I was reiterating, only because it seems a perennial bone of contention, is what constitutes a club run proper!!!!!!

As a club we promote on our website the inclusiveness of our rides and guarantee a 35-40 mile "clubride" that allows all those on it to complete together........Speed therefore has to be an important component especially for some Saturday riders who wish to integrate into a Sunday run.their average is some 30+ miles at about 15 mph or so...they also have some very fit and capable riders who simply can't make a Sunday ride.

As a general rule I always try and encourage new riders to try out the Saturday group first if only to guage their condition prior to tackling a Sunday group ride........Sometimes it isn't possible and we therefore have to accomodate new riders who may not be up to the required speed/stamina.........are we therefore as a club prepared to always make accomodation for these riders whatever their condition, or do we take last Sundays approach?? was all I was trying to round out with my clubable post which has disappeared.
  • Sounds like we are agreed on the need to discuss
    Will put on the agenda for next committee meeting

Don't think the forum is the place to do this
    One man's passion is another man's abuse
    ( e-mails are famous for it )

In the interim
    Enjoy riding with the club
    Keep an eye out for anyone struggling
    But within the sight of Ashwell
    Go for it and drop the lot
    Glory is forever !

James :-)