Welcome to the forum

Youth National Series Omnium - Rd 2 - Herne Hill

edited June 2014 in Road Racing
The following was written by Adam Lightfoot

=====================================

Today we (Holly Proctor & I) raced at Herne Hill velodrome in S.London at Round 2 of the National Youth Omnium track series (South East region).

I was racing in the U12 boys with 27 other riders from London and the South East region. It was a very hot and sunny day, and I started off with a 1 lap time trial (10th place), followed by an elimination race. The elimination race was 2 riders out per lap, until 3 remained. I came 4th, which meant I cycled for 13 laps of the 450m track. After that I had a 4 lap scratch race. Coming into the last corner I was about 4th, but then a rider cut across my line meaning I had to suddenly back off and ended up coming 9th. I was a little bit disappointed with this as I was doing relatively well at this time. The fourth race was a 450m sprint, I was in the 6th heat of 4 riders and narrowly missed out on 3rd. Last of all was a points race over 6 laps, with a sprint every other lap. On the 2nd lap 2 riders touched wheels and brought down 3 other riders, very luckily I just missed the crash which was infront of me, and carried on. Half a lap later the race was neutralised for 3 laps, to allow the riders to get off the track and for them to be looked at by the first aiders. Once the race was re-started, I didn't get any points on the penultimate sprint, but finished 2nd on the line of the last lap (5th overall in the points race).

Overall I finished 7th, 2 points behind the rider in 5th.

In the Youth A boys scratch race I saw 2 riders clip wheels, and with them brought down about 1/3 of the approximate 30 field. Most were ok, apart from a rider who broke his arm in 2 places. Paramedics were quickly on the scene, but the rider was determined not to get in the ambulance until he returned his race number, in order to get his racing licence back!

I enjoyed my first time at Herne Hill and would love to go back soon.

Adam L :-)

Comments

• Pleased you enjoyed your racing today, shame you had to back off so close to the finish! I'm sure you learnt a lot today. well done keep it up. ;-)

Shelton
  • Well done Dom! Sounds like an exciting race, shame I missed it.
    Gareth :)
  • Wow, great write up and great riding Adam, well done.
  • Very well done Adam and Holly for good performances among very strong competition. If there's anything that you want to work on to help you do even better just ask the club's coaches. We can discuss on a Thursday evening.

Mark F
  • Well done Adam

The Crow have a photo slot if there are any available?? Need to know asap