Welcome to the forum

CC Luton Neil Gardner Memorial RR

edited June 2014 in Road Racing
Almost a civilised hour (10am) for a race to start for this E123 over at Cranfield. 3 CCA riders out to ride, Ant, myself and Cam.

The circuit was fast, with fairly well surfaced wide roads and only a couple of small drags and a little hill to slow the finishing sprint down... The first two laps averaged around 27.5mph, with every attack being dragged back in pretty quickly. I managed to get in a large-ish break with a few strong riders for several minutes and regretted it instantly, they were much stronger than me and the pace was ridiculous!

Not much more to report about my race, as I punctured after 50 miles, spent a lap and a bit trying to get back on more or less on my own (with the help of a very nice Harley Davidson ridden by a CC Luton rider at one point) and couldn't manage it. I trotted around for a bit longer, passing the remnants of a crash on the following lap which took Cameron out of the race. Nothing damaged seriously, but it did leave Anthony with rather some mysterious bruises and chainring prints...

Sitting on the finish line in the sun saw the race stick together till the penultimate lap where 2 riders managed to get a large gap, then almost bought back and another rider bridging over as one of them cramped up and dropped off. These two managed to stay away, finishing around a minute ahead of the bunch, with 3 or 4 riders coming in in between them.

A beautiful day for a race, and a well organised event on a great circuit.