Welcome to the forum

Tour of the Cornfields 2014

edited June 2014 in Cyclocross/Offroad
Hi,

This years Tour of the Cornfields will be on Saturday 30th August. Plenty of notice so you can book holiday around it!

This is a club ride suitable for Cyclo-Cross or MTBs of about 50 miles which will take about 5 hours. Half road/half off-road.

There may be a half distance mini tour for younger members - watch this thread.

Mark.

Comments

• always a great ride thanks for organizing it again mrk
  • Really looking forward to this Mark. Thanks for pulling it all together again.
  • can I assume you'd be happy for a few non-members to tag along with you for this?

Simon
  • Simon,

I have invited a couple of non member friends along but generally no I'm afraid. It was a very popular ride and we could end up with 50 people turning up if a general invite went out. If you are a member and want to add one or two others then we can probably cope.

Mark.
  • no problem; me & a few fellow members of a resolutely 'on road only' club like to have a bit of off-road fun every now & again.

would it be too cheeky to ask if the route will be available for us to ride another time?

cheers

Simon
  • Mark I have this in my diary and fortunately it is free.
    Martins wells ride the following week makes this something to look forward to.
    The tour of the cornfields is a corker. Anyone remotely into a bit of on and off road should come along. The best of cyclo cross rides.
  • Hi all,

Just a reminder this will be on.

Mark.
  • I've always fancied this event and would be a great way of christening my new CX bike. Just taken a look at the event website and online entries are closed. I assume you are all pre-entered? If a place becomes available let me know. Thanks.
  • Jeremy,

This is just a club ride. I no longer organise it as an open event.

Just turn up, more details to follow.

Mark.
  • Details:

Meet at the Three Tuns for 9:30am start.
    Bring snacks/lunch for the van as Stevie can meet us half way.

Mark.
  • Is this open to second claim members, Mark?

Any advice on tyre choice or will that depend on the weather. Muds or intermediates?

David
  • DO NOT USE SMART SAMS!!!!!!

The Schwalbe man said these are great try them.

Jack and I tried these out for a 3PX test ride and got 4 punctures between us in less then 20 miles :-(
  • David,

Yes, you are welcome.

Tyres - go for puncture resistant first. The paths will be mainly dry unless it actually rains on the day.

Mark.
  • Hi all,

9:30am start at the Three Tuns Car Park. If you miss the start meet us half way along Northfield.

If you want to bail out early then Wrestlingworth is at about 28 miles or Hatley Village Hall (back down Croydon Hill) at 32 miles.

The lunch stop is at Hatley Village Hall Car Park - Stevie will meet us there with the van. She will be at the start so you can load the van up.

There is no charge but donations to the youth section are always welcome.

The last 5 miles of by-way between Bassingbourn and Ashwell is denutralised so the fast lads can stretch their legs. It's just straight all the way past the caravan park at Ashwell and up the slope into Ashwell. Turn right and drop down to the finish at the Tuns.

Who's coming?
    I've got as probables: Daniel, Theo, Jon, Bryn, David H, Jeremy P, Vincent, possibly all the Fields, Shelton and Travis. Anyone else?
    Mark.
  • Henry & I will try and make it :-)
  • Will be there - looking forward to it.

Presumably we bring our own food to go into the van? Sorry for the stupid question but I'm new to the club.
  • Yep, bring your own lunch / snack for the van - but if you want to bring extra cake I'm sure nobody is going to complain ;-))
  • Hi Mark,

I'm planning to join you all for this - riding over from Hitchin.

Julian P.
  • I'll be there,
    Neil
  • There should be a good turnout.

The only shop on the route is early on at Biggleswade so feel free to bring plenty of food to leave in the van. There'll be a track pump in there as well.

Mark.
  • Thanks for sorting this Mark it was great. Medal for Stevie as well. Those snacks and coffee were spot on. Shame about all the punctures. I take back what I said about the smart sams as I seemed to escape today.

Stuart
  • Thanks for organising Mark. Top day out on the bike on a pleasant late Summer day with done good company. Really impressed with the standard of riding in this club.

The number of punctures was bizarre but actually ended up making it more social as folk had more chance to chat. I ended up blowing up a bit on the ride back to Langford. Maybe I should have stayed for that pint!
  • ditto above comments, great ride, thanks Mark & Stevie!!!

now where are all those tubes & my repair kit???

2 for me, 3 for Henry!!!!! and was it another 13 in the group?.... must be a record??
  • Tour of the Thornfields
    I thought it was only 15 punctures?
    Thanks so much to Stevie for spending most of her day in a van, and thanks to Mark for putting up with all the punctures.
    Next year I think there will be a strict rule: No tyres from Mark's 'black list'.
  • Smart Sams can now be added to the list.

I thought I had escaped but when I got the bike out this morning it had a flat. 2 thorns in the rear tyre!!!
  • Oh dear, 15 punctures. Im quite glad i got my days wrong and missed it now!

Surely Landcruisers the only choice for that ride, no?
  • Well I was on delicate Michelin Mud 2's and didn't puncture...
  • edited August 2014
    Big thanks to Mark for organising and Stevie for being soigneur (I realise I left my Velo bottle in the van, are you okay to hang onto it until Tuesday?)

When I swung off at Wrestlingworth a couple of hours in to save my legs for today I think there had only been Vince's rear tyre explosion so far...it must have gone downhill pretty quickly after that
  • Thanks everyone, really enjoyed that. Sorry we couldn't stay for the drinks.

18 started out and 14 completed the distance. 2 crashes in addition to the punctures but only minor damage. Well done to Travis and Henry for sticking it out and being strong at the end. Well done to Shelton too for catching us back up after sacrificing himself on the Wimpole Estate.

The only tyres now not on the black list are Landcruisers - compulsory next year! Never mind how horrible they are to ride on they are indestructible. I've been riding those paths for 7 years on the same pair and only one puncture. Time to get a new pair for the 3 Peaks!

Mark.