Welcome to the forum

Preston Park Youth Omnium yesterday

edited June 2014 in Road Racing
There were 3 CCA riders competing at the Preston Park Youth Omnium yesterday in Brighton. This was the third and final round of the National Youth Omnium Series.

Sophie Lewis upped her game considerably and finished in 2nd in the Under 12 girls. The leading female rider in the group was outstanding and unbeatable in every race. Ranked 3nd nationally I think. But Sophie managed to beat the 2 strong Welwyn Wheelers girls into 2nd position which means that she has managed to get enough points over her 2 races to qualify for the National Finals in Welwyn on the 13th July. (Proud mum moment!!!!) Sophie certainly seems to excel in the sprint events (2nd in the TT, elimination and sprint races) but is slightly let down in the longer races where stamina comes into play. We have 4 weeks now to work on this and with the help of Rebecca Maynard, who has agreed to take Sophie out cycling, this should improve.

Adam Lightfoot put in some consistently strong performances in the Under 12 boys group. This is a large and strong group this year. Adam came 6th overall yesterday. He put in some amazing rides and certainly does not suffer with his stamina in the longer races! He always managed to get himself into great positions, sat up with the leading riders. I am not sure whether he has qualified for the National Finals - he has to finish in the top 5 overall, he will certainly be close!

Holly Procter was competing in the Under 14 girls. Unfortunately she was feeling under the weather yesterday and was not at her best but she stuck with it and showed some real grit and determination against some very strong Welwyn and VC Londres riders.

If anyone is around on the 13th July then please come along and support Sophie at Welwyn!

Comments

• Really good report Claire and well done to all CCA riders. Always had Sophie tagged for the podium and sprint so delighted she is showing her potential. Doubt I can be around for the 13th but wishing everyone the best.
  • Well done Adam - you did qualify for the National Finals!