Welcome to the forum

Walden Velo 3/4

edited June 2014 in Road Racing
Rather strange race today for Neil and myself, no real HQ so a lot of car park chat and it didn't really feel like there was any social atmosphere that there normally is on a sunday morning.

3/4 regional B, only 50 miles on a relatively flat circuit with one steep hill and a couple of technical moments. Not a hard circuit at all and it certainly didn't justify the amount of crashes going on. The race felt really choppy, lots of riders not keeping their line, switching across the pack and generally being a little bit unpredictable (not in a good way). An unfortunate snapped chain led to a bit of a pile up on the climb on the 3rd or 4th lap which was then followed by a crash on a straight bit of main road for no reason at all. I think there was a shout of "car" going down the bunch and a few guys panicked and pulled in too quickly, riding into people. One guy looked like he might have broken something apparently, but aside from that no major casualties! No breaks managed to stay away, one VC Revolution rider kept off the front for almost a whole lap on his own, but aside from that it was one bunch for the majority of the race

I sat in the bunch for the whole race and sprinted at the end, going too early off the front and fading before the line but still managing to grab 5th place with Neil coming in in 14th. Hopefully this will be my last 3/4... I can't say that I will miss them at all if they're like this for the rest of the season...

Comments

• Congratulations on your 2nd cat Will!
  • Not there yet... 1 more point needed but no more 3/4s in the diary this season (or next, hopefully).
  • Well done Will. Excuse my ignorance but how will you get the points then and do they carry over? Once a third cat always a third cat? Not really sure how it works

Stuart
  • edited June 2014
    Points are awarded for places in races, so depending on the sort of race you enter you can pick up different amounts of points (e.g. a 4th cat only crit race will get you 10 points for the win, then 8 for 2nd etc till 10th place whereas an E,1,2 national A race will get you 100 points for the win and award points down to 20th). I've not entered any more 3/4s this season, but as a 3rd cat I can race 2,3,4s and E,1,2,3s so will be aiming for a top 20 in one of them to get me my last point that I need to move up. I think you need 12 points to get out of your 4th cat, 40 more to move up to 2nd cat, 200 more to move up to 1st and 300 more to move up to elite (all in once season). To retain your licence for the next season as a 2nd cat you need to have at least 25 points, as a 1st cat, at least 100 points and I don't know how many to retain your elite licence... If you don't get those points in a season you drop back down to 3rd cat. For example, there's a chap who races for PCH who was a 1st cat but then had a busy year with work, couldn't race and didn't get his 100 points and dropped back to 3rd. At the beginning of this season he won loads of points really quickly (obviously knowing how to race) and last time I saw him he had 148 points or something like that and that was in May! So he'll be getting his 1st cat back by the end of the year...

I've got no real desire at the moment to train as hard as you need to to win 200 points so I'll be happy with 2nd cat if I can get that last point. As a 4th cat in road races you can only ride 3,4s and 2,3,4s with the race organisers seemingly favouring the 3rd cats to get places as they often have more points that season so it can be hard getting a start for these races. As a 3rd cat you can race pretty much any road race apart from an E,1,2. As a 2nd cat you can ride any road race apart from a 3,4, so I think this is the best category for me to be in at the moment. There seems to be a broad standard of riders here too, so people who are just grabbing enough points and riders chasing their 1st cats... As a 1st cat it's harder to find the races as you can only do E,1,2s and E,1,2,3s and to race every week you often have to drive for miles to get a start. And you have to be really strong too. And maybe not quite as flippant about your diet as I am etc etc...

You can get points on grass track that count towards the road rankings.

I, for one, will most certainly not be doing that.
  • Thanks for that Will. A complicated business. 3rd cat does sound like the best bet for race availability.
  • edited June 2014
    Three pictures of the finish showing Will going for an early one.