Welcome to the forum

9am Sunday Club Run - steady ride navigators, 35-45 miles

Following the AGM, it was considered this approach given a go to bring on a consistent steady ride on the 9am slot.

Steady being 35-45 miles, 15-17mph, no one left behind.

Let's see if this works then, much like the intro ride navigator requests...

A doodle poll for people to sign up to navigate is here.

To help navigators, our list of rides is here.

This way, rides can be selected in advance and people able to assess if they fancy it. Let's see how this goes. The medium-fast ride doesn't need a similar poll?

Comments

• Thanks for the list of rides Martin, great idea.

I will sign up for rides when i can although with so much going on in the next few weekends and then summer hols it might be a while!

Dont be afraid to put your name down if thats what you want. We cant rely on the same faces all the time.
  • I thought a fast group leaves at 9am followed by a group of steady riders at 9.30

Having two steady rides on a Sunday morning will split CCA members into smaller groups (which isn't a great idea in my opinion).

I must of missed this discussion as I had to leave during the toilet/drinks break.
  • Hi Shaun, when I used to ride the 9 o'clock rides, it would often depend on who was there and who would be prepared to lead a ride. Usually they had a fast group (the nasties!) and a medium/club run but it often split into three groups... I believe this is what will be sorted with the doodle poll. The 9.30 ride has always done what it says on the tin and been a good ride, everybody taking their turns. I haven't been out with those guys for a while, but hear it's still the same (plus you get half an hour extra in bed on a Sunday morning, always a bonus).
  • Hope to be leading the 9am this Sunday. It'll be a 45m medium club ride as we used to have. Also with the etiquette and order of the 9.30 but a tad faster. Probably Sandy, Everton, Bourn, Chapel hill back... or Hexton, Lilley, Baldock pending on weather.
  • edited July 2014
    I will be leading the Sunday Club Run this week 20th July.
    41 Miles at somewhere between 15 & 17 MPH depending on who is there.
    Look forward to seeing you at 9 am

View route here
  • I'm down for this Sunday's 9am club ride. Steady pace distance as specified on club run page. 15-17mph...whatever suits slowest rider. See you all Sunday
  • Well that went well. Given the wind direction we did the two bridges route via Wrestlingworth water tower to potton and back through Hinxworth. 7 out with new riders Steve and Mick. All together and averaged 17 mph this ride as everyone comfortable at the speed. We crossed paths with MC's faster rideon the way to Shuttleworth.
    Hope someone is available for next weeks ride as I am now back in Durham.
    See you all next time I am down.....happy cycling
  • I am down to lead a club run this Sunday. The weather is looking a bit interesting, i will post here with a route in due course. If the weather is as forecast it might be something along the lines of Ashwell to Abington Pigotts!
  • i will get the winter gear out Tim in anticipation!
  • Hope to be there too, Tim... just waiting to see what Hurricane Boris (I mean, Bertha) brings us

Winter bikes in August. Whatever next!
  • no ride London Jane? I feel for those folks. Mr and Mrs Crumpy the butchers are doing their first hundred tomorrow, maybe not the best introduction to a long ride!

Anyway, i will check the weather in the morning and post here but im not sure if im up for it if its as forecasted.
  • surprised to get up to dry weather this morning. Will be out at 9.00 with waterproof and we will see what happens!
  • we had 8 starters in the end. Will and his mate from luton turned off at Meldreth, no doubt to do some big milage. The rest of us did a fowlmere, chishill, barkway type thing. It was a bit wild at times but never cold. I almost enjoyed it.
    We did come through Steeple Jane, but didnt pick up your message until afterwards.
  • Sorry I missed you
    Bit late this morning, but I did make it to the Tuns for 9:30
    I definitely enjoyed the conditions today - bit freaky, but there was hardly any traffic and I wasn't cold at all. This winter-bikes-in-August thing could catch on
  • Looks like i can be out again on Sunday. Also weather looks somewhat better than last Sunday.

Routewise, im thinking out to Fowlmere, flintcross, buntingford, dane end ....something along those lines. 40 miles, 15-17.
  • That was grim. A taste of Autumn. Nice coffee in Hare Street though.
  • Thanks to Tim for navigating and to Stevie and Mark for a v nice caf
  • Im out tomorrow and can do a steady club run, 40 miles. Probably Cardington way.

I was just getting my cross bike ready for the tour of the cornfields ride tomorrow until i noticed it was today….Doh!
  • holidays disorient you Tim :-) have a good ride.

I can do Sunday 14th and have filled in doodle poll. Looks a bit light on volunteers.
    Come on people....it is good fun navigating a route and with the rides already logged not much hassle.
    Everyone can afford to sacrifice riding faster for the odd week or so. It's good training to just step back and spin for the odd ride and helps people who don't or aren't able to ride quite as fast or as far.
    The steady club ride is the heart of all good clubs. Paced a litte bit slower than the 9.30 ride and run at the speed of the slowest it ensures allcomers a good introduction to group riding.
  • Did 40 miles at 17.1 on the extended 2 bridges route.

Young Adam L was out on his first club ride and rode with great class. Despite being only 12 and having a single 38t chainring he barely broke into a sweat and beat most of us up Everton hill!
  • I can lead on Sunday morning. Probably about 45 miles with a cafe stop, heading south.

Mark.
  • I am doing this Sunday club ride. Steady pace to suit those who turn up.See you all 9am Sunday.
  • Just had a query on Sunday's ride (21st)....I am back in Durham so can't help.

Can volunteers to take rides PLEASE fill in the doodle at the head of this thread set up by Steph. There is also a suggested list of routes if you aren't hot on such things.

Thank you.

Geoff
  • Thanks Geoff, anyone for this Sunday?

Im racing this weekend but have put my name down for next Sunday.
  • Late notice but I can take a group tomorrow at 9am. Permission granted from Mrs Q at the last minute!

Probably take a 38-40 mile route south - maybe with a cafe stop in Whitwell - nice cakes....

See you at the 3 tuns...

Jamie
  • thnks Jamie...have a good ride everyone....cakes in Whitwell sounds a great idea...good call
  • Smaller turnout today, so no takers for a shorter/slower ride and I tagged onto Robbie and crew. We whizzed past the cafe at Whitwell - I'm sure I could hear the cakes calling.

Happy to navigate a ride over the autumn winter months - and with a bit more notice we make get more takers

JRVM
  • thanks Jamie. Yes, a bit more notice is vital so that everyone knows the 9am ride is happening EVERY week.
    Please guys it is sad to think that there aren't more of you out there prepared to ride for 1 week say out of 6 or 8 weeks just 2mph slower than normal to make sure there is a club ride for slower/newer/less confident riders.
    Come on now. Fill in the doodle at the top of this thread and share the load. It really is fun and actually good training. You all need to ride slower every now and then anyway for recovery.
  • Sophie and Holly could have done ride if we had known. But we did not check forum after 9 last night. Maybe the doodle can add riders who want to go ?. Ended up doing 2 bridges route later in the day.
  • I'm getting some feedback on whisper that advertised speeds tend to go out of the window. This is always an issue with the medium and faster rides as the red mist tends to veil reason at certain points and the competetive instinct kicks in.

For my part I always stay at the front of the ride and pace it at the speed I advertise. This lets other riders come to the front with me and get an understanding of what it takes to control the average pace. If someone wants to go faster they are free to ride away off the front but I have always found that riders actually enjoy the relaxation a slower ride offers and usually drop in behind and chat merrily among themselves.

If you advertise a club ride at a pace then you MUST endeavour to do that speed.

Talk of sprints for the line are only meant in fun as those riders know that in a real race they would be left for dead by real sprinters. It is just a way of winding eachother up. James is a good example of this and no real harm is done.
    Strictly speaking you should wind down for the last 1-2 miles rather than sprint so always best to fix the mock sprint up well before the finish on a safe stretch of open flattish road where you can all have a bit of fun more safely and then regroup and have a laugh as you wind down before enjoying a post ride drink or two.
    Now fill in the DOODLE at the top and take a slower paced club ride proper and
    HAVE FUN