Welcome to the forum

Eagle RC Ray Eden Memorial Road Race

edited July 2014 in Road Racing
Yesterday evening (Sat 12 Jul), i went over to the Cat 3/4 Eagle RC Ray Eden Memorial Road Race. The race consisted of 70 riders doing 10 laps of a 8km circuit after a very lengthy neutrailised zone (11km). The circuit itself was tight and twisty in parts with a 1km hill along a very narrow gravel and pot hole ridden road, the finish line was about half way up the hill.

As soon as the flag was dropped, so were about 20 of the field on the first climb, as it was on the narrow road, a number of riders, including me, ended up having to use the grass to pass slower riders. The pace seemed to settle after the climb and i made my way to the top 5-8 places where i remained for the race. On the second lap i watched a break of 4 go up the road which i was happy not to follow, however on the next lap i missed a further 3 riders go up the road making the break 7. The pack was disorganised with only a few willing to work. I spent a fair bit of time on the front trying to get the pack to chase and also setting the tempo up the incline. With a lap to go the break was never going to be caught, with he peloton significantly reduced from the 70 starters and only 3 or 4 of us working. Due to the narrow road at the finish i wanted to be first or second wheel into the corner before the 400/500m up hill sprint finish. About 400m from the corner i attacked off the front to ensure i was first wheel, which i was, however i had gone too early. I managed to stay at the front until about 100m when my legs gave up and i rolled in for about 4th in the bunch.

I think i was 11th overall, although the results are yet to be confirmed. I found out after the race that only 26 riders finished from the 70 that started. No points, but a tough race and a good training session. The Interclub 25 was always going to be tough 14 hours later!

Comments