Welcome to the forum

Club run review - Sunday 23rd August 2009

edited August 2009 in Club runs
12 out in medium group. A proper Max mystery tour! 57 miles at 17.3mph av. Very hot, windy weather. Down to Rushden and thru back lanes. Strappy slipped on the gravel - everyone take care on the dusty, grainy roads. Deeper down Dane End and eventually to Wadesmill before being blown back - sorta - through various catwalks around Stevenage. Carmelo is still hurting - but very strong. And good to see Jon and Mark staying well and truly in the middle group - strength gained from the TTs?

Comments

• 12 in club run
    52 miles at 17.8mph ( come on medium's you need to try a bit harder ! )
    Up to St Neot's and back via Cardington
    Andy led the ride well , although we did find a road where we used the hard shoulder
    All together in sight of ashwell
    Garret did the final lead out and then kicked for glory............
    better luck next time :-)
    Good ride for all involved
  • Two conclusions;
    1. Your average goes down a lot when you carry your bikes o'er hill and vale, and industrial estate car parks and across the A10 and through private roads [but technically a public right of way] and over dusty flint tracks. But hey - no punctures!
    2. There are medium groupers hiding in that there Club Run...
  • Hope the carbon wheels and frames enjoyed the experience
    Us old timers will just plod along
    A story about a tortoise and a hare comes to mind

run rabbit...run rabbit.......run....run ...run

must leave the cider alone
  • It's all about work rate rather than just average speed and that was a high work rate even with my problems!..I was very impressed with how much riders have come on since I last saw them...must be doing something right!
    I was glad to get home!!

BTW,had a day in the cotswolds on Tuesday with some of my old muckers...89 miles average speed 14.9 mph...doesn't sound much does it..but I am not sure how many of our lads would have stayed with that pace...climb after climb on slow roads..some at 18%..then I was REALLY glad to get home!!
    and yes I was mighty peeved when Max took us on his mystery route as I was trying out some new carbon wheels with 20mm tubulars..NOT ideal!...oh well..

Thanks to all for messages,e mails ,calls,visits and general encouragement...not out of the woods yet but glad to be riding again...hope to see you on Sunday..
  • James you were too quick for me (and my chest infection) not out this week at Orbital in london, so riding on Saturday. Fancy a rematch on the 6th?
  • Not really the competitive type
    I will see how my bad leg is by then
    I will be out on the 6th
    ( but at a drinks party 5th )
    I think Andy is up for eternal glory though

James :-)

Pain is temporary / stories last forever