Welcome to the forum

Ken Lush Memorial RR

edited July 2014 in Road Racing
Anthony, Jon and myself signed on early Sunday morning to ride this national B race around the hilly Whitwell circuit. After the race was moved here at the beginning of the season I had been wondering what it would be like to ride an E123 on this circuit, having only ever ridden 234s here in the past.

Rolling out onto the course, the pace was high as people were trying to establish a break, constant attacks and chases kept the first 4(!!!) laps averaging just under 26 mph, which on this circuit really was quite painful. A full field was reduced fairly quickly as people were dropping out the back. I just about managed to hold on in there, all the time keeping an eye on what was going on ahead. Ant was holding a good position at the front, always a few riders back and looking strong. Every time we went up the hill on the back side of the circuit I was falling through the bunch, trying to preserve energy as the pace pushed on. It wasn't until Ash Cox slipped off the front that the pace eased up and the race started to settle. Quickly gaining a gap, Ash stayed out the front for 2 laps before being joined by Chris MacNamara and Danny Axford later. They stayed away and took the first three places. A small group including Doug Coleman and Andy Hastings managed to get away the penultimate time up the hill and take the next few places. As we came round the last few corners on the last lap the pace was starting to pick up again, the hill spreading the bunch out I had to work hard down the hill just to get back on to the front group. Anthony came 4th in the bunch sprint to take 12th overall, an exceptional result in this particular race, with a very strong field (and in the same week as him smashing his 10 mile PB with a 19.59 on the F20 on Tuesday night) present. I rolled in with the bunch, pleased to finish on a hot and sweaty morning!

A hard race, yet again saved by Jon handing me a bottle up as I'd lost one of mine again earlier in the race. Ta.

With form like that we'll be seeing Ant getting his first cat next year... Strong riding!

Comments

• what a great report Will. Hurts to read and anyone who knows that route as we do will know how much you must have hurt to maintain that average. Well done all of you. It is brilliant to see how the racing arm of the club is developing and the support you give to each other. Long may it continue.
  • Well done guys for being in top race...I am sure that racing at this level will become the norm now with more results to come ..great stuff..and Ant ..19.59 on the so called chipped slower F20!..that's 4 sub 20 minute riders in the club now..sure Will and Jason will join that club soon..maybe others at this rate!