Welcome to the forum

Circuit of the Fens 2014 (support race).

edited July 2014 in Road Racing
One of last year's most enjoyable races, this one. A pan flat circuit around the fens out of Whittlesey in a rolling road closure, mainly on smooth road surfaces but with a couple of droves chucked in to keep you on your toes. This year's route was altered slightly to add a gravel track to the race.

Four CCA riders in the race, starting fast as we went over the narrow bridge onto the main circuit, the riders were allowed use of the full road thanks to some very helpful NEG riders and a rolling road closure. This would have helped to combat the crosswinds that we experienced had they been any stronger, also due to an accident in the middle of the race causing both the support race and the premier calendar race to stop for an hour, there was never really much of an opportunity for an echelon to form. The crash involved a rider who had fallen out the back of the rolling road closure and was trying to ride back on, his head down, he didn't see a steam roller stationary in the road ahead of him. Thankfully the air ambulance was prompt and he was sped off to Addenbrookes where it was last heard that he was in a critical but stable condition. The list of injuries was significant and harrowing, as was the wreck of his bike left by the side of the road as we passed it as the race re-started. A sobering reminder to keep your head up, no matter how hard you're riding.

With only 15 miles remaining, 5 of which were neutralised, the race was twitchy. Ant kept a good position at the front of the bunch and got onto the first drove well. I was nearing the back of the bunch and worked hard to push through, rattling my bike over the rough road surface and watching people slow down and freewheel over the bigger holes. Something I wasn't going to do, it was a good chance to move up the bunch. We got back onto a smooth road surface and rolled round a couple of corners before seeing the motorbikes turn down a gravel track.

In the race programme it was described as thus: "To avoid a fast junction onto the A605, both races will divert onto a section of the National Byway (cycle route) which is un-metalled but reasonably surfaced. There are a couple of dips towards the end of the first stretch but the road is wide. It would be prudent to consider tyre and wheel choice to minimise the likelihood of punctures."

In reality it was a gravel track, like a very rough gravel driveway but instead of rounded stones they were pretty jagged and quite big, some around a couple of inches square. I could hear punctures left, right and centre and just ploughed on with my fingers crossed, passing riders still as people eased off. Finally I punctured! Brand new Bontrager R3s didn't stand a chance, really. Had I known it would have been this rough I probably would have put some thick winter tyres on, but guys with gatorskin tubs had punctured on that stretch. Although it was great fun, there must have been 20 riders stood by the side of the road being swept up by the broom wagons.

Ant and Carmelo survived, with Ant attacking 5 miles before the end and managing to hang in front of the bunch for the rest of the race, only caught just before the line by Wayne Crombie (who grabbed his last few points to get his 1st cat) and Toby Parnell who took the win. Both riders having spent a lot of the season winning some hard races, Ant showed amazing form to take 3rd.

A podium place for CCA in one of the season's biggest races (Ant followed Adam Blythe, Chris Opie and Russell Downing onto the podium after the elite race results), an eventful day and an interesting race. I'll be looking forward to this next year... However, I may ride it on my winter bike with thick tyres on after seeing the chips and scratches made on other people's fancy race steeds...

couple of pics to follow...

Comments