Welcome to the forum

MTB vs Road bike average speeds

edited August 2009 in General
Probably a simple question. I've just started out this cycling game and plodding round 30-40 mile routes on my old, heavy, MTB with off road tyres and a broken top gear. I have to say, its like riding in sand! I'm averaging around 14 mph but would like to know the speed difference a reasonable road bike would make. I'm hoping 14 mph will turn into 16-17 mph ... is this realistic?

Why the interest? i've been talked into a 300km bike event in Sweden next year and need to get started, buy a decent bike and, once i'm rolling at a reasonable speed, hopefully join some of your Sunday club runs.

Thanks for any guidance,

Roger

Comments

• I think the average speed jump your looking for is reasonable with a better bike - and you'll notice a leap by drafting [hiding!] in a peloton. Carmelo is often pointing out the more telling factors being heart rate and cadence to assess fitness - particularly as it looks like your event is probably more endurance than pace.

The Sunday Club runs will certainly get you there, anyway. See you soon.
  • If you're still on your mountain bike I would suggest that the next stgae is to buy a pair or road tyres. You'll find the difference truly inspirational.

Richard