Welcome to the forum

Controversial tyre discussion

edited August 2014 in General
A chap on the Conti stand at Excel just told me clinchers are faster than tubbies!

Comments

• Yup... Don't tell Theo...
  • More aerodynamic on a rim yes.
    Rolling resistance, maybe for Conti tubs! who the hell puts butyl tubes in a high end tyre?
  • Yippeee dooo. This thread has been quiet for far too long ...... :))))
  • dear Jane. This subject is a TOPIC. The thread is a particular series of comments on a subject. This thread is 6 comments long with this one. If I don't mention tyres or something related to the subject matter I will be off topic. There have been other threads dealing with this subject/topic but this thread isn't that one. Hope that's clear :-)
  • VicVic
    edited August 2014
    Has anyone tried this years new Conti GP4000 SII?
    Other than the range of coloured sidewalls available, are there any other noticeable differences?
    The chap I spoke to at the Excel on Thursday suggested that they had slightly lower rolling resistance and even better puncture protection than their predecessor, I imagine he was just trying to sell me a pair, which he might have done if I hadn't just fitted a pair of last years GP4000 S tyres ready for tomorrow's ride in a hurricane.
  • I have a set, so far so good, great comfort but then I did change from 23's to 25's
  • I have a set of S2s, I thought I'd give them a try because they test fast, both rolling resistance and aero. The important thing to understand about the aero performance is rim conformity. Basically, you want the shape and size of the tyre to match the rim as closely as possible to avoid the lightbulb effect, and to minimise gap at the tyre/rim interface. So it's as much about the rim as it is about the tyre. I'm using mine on my training Campag Vento rims, which are relatively narrow, and the conformity with 23mm tyres is reasonable but not great. A 25mm tyre would be even worse. So from aero perspective not a great testbed, and as would be expected there are no obvious fireworks.

In terms of rolling resistance the tyre feels quite fast, but in similar ballpark to say an Open Corsa or Ultremo. So again not earth-shattering.

In terms of road feel and handling I'd say there is definite Germanic clumpiness, a bit like Ultremo. Open corsas are more supple, and tubs* are another ballgame.

Puncture protection - meh. I haven't punctured yet, but then I have only punctured twice in the last 13 000 miles.

I'd say they make a good set of training tyres, but if you can get S1 for cheap I'd buy those. Better still get Open Corsas. Unless you have quite wide rims, in which case you might benefit from their aero performance.

* - real tubs that is, not silly ones with butyl inners.
  • Yes to reap the advantage of the new 25mm tyre craze you really need the slightly wider rim plus as Vam said similar rim/tyre widths are more aero.
    Not looking forward to going to University, I'm going to have to slum it and race on clinchers :(.
  • I think I'll ride the club run on tubs from now on...
  • Nice one Daniel :-)
  • Everyone needs a parent like you, Daniel :)

Theo - you must be v proud
  • edited August 2014