Welcome to the forum

Easterley CC Falling Leaves Road Race.

edited September 2014 in General
On Sun 7th Sep, Bryn, Carmelo, Tom and I went over to Essex for the Easterley CC Falling Leaves Road Race. The race was a Cat 3/4 over 5.5 laps totalling 90km. The course itself was rolling countryside with 3 small inclines, one out of Newport after a sharp left turn, a longer gradual drag up towards Clavering, then the finish area consisting of 2 short sharp hills.

As it was Tom's first road race for 4 months he wanted to see ease himself into the race cautiously, which for Tom meant attacking straight after the 6km neutralised zone. I sat on the front to slow the bunch, hoping that 2 or 3 would join him up the road. After Tom being solo for about half a lap, the race came back together. Late in the second lap a break of 2 went up the road, including John Peters of CC Luton. After realising this, Carmelo attacked and tried to bridge, but was caught in a tough headwind and rejoined the bunch. The peloton wasn't working great to bring the break back, Tom was working hard on the front and I chipped in when I could with some through and off. The pace picked up in the peloton and the break was brought back with about 1 and a half to go.

On the final lap, Bryn moved up the field and positioned himself well. A break of 3 went with about half a lap to go and stayed there until the finish, just getting caught on the line. Tom was satisfied with his workout and sat towards the back of the bunch choosing not to contest the bunch sprint along with Carmelo. I was too far back as we approached the final corner before the two short climbs. I moved up as best I could but was about 25-30 back as we hit the corner. I had plenty left and started a long sprint on the first hill, moving up well, with Bryn just ahead of me. As the second incline approached I kicked again up the inside, but ended up having to brake for the last 20m as there was no way through. I think I frustratingly finished 11-12th, with Bryn a few places behind.

A decent circuit and well organised race, despite a shortage of accredited marshals. On a positive, at least we all remained upright with no further injuries! I think that will be my last race of the year minus a couple of TT's and maybe a the Hill climb.

See you all back on the club rides!