Welcome to the forum

Hog Hill or Springfield

edited September 2014 in Cyclocross/Offroad
A double header this weekend, Hog hill saturday, Springfield on Sunday. Whos doing what?

Alfie and I are going to Springfield. Sundays usually better for us.

Ive not ridden hog hill so dont know which course is best but i liked the Springfield one and the kids course was quite interesting too.

Which is the best course?

Comments

• edited September 2014
    The Junior Squad 2011/12 Cyclocross review made the following notes:

3.2 Hoggenberg
    Very steep. Some heart stopping drops. Really suits a mountain bike. Wide gear ratio. Well liked. 4/5.

3.3 Springfield, Chelmsford
    Three runs up stairs. Quite flat, though a very steep sharp bank. 3/5

Since then Bruce Mackie has added the 'spiral of doom' to the Hoggenberg circuit in which the entire field is riding towards the centre of a double spiral only to ride out of it again. It is quite amusing to watch and actually hard to ride in ever decreasing circles with riders in close proximity either trying to get past you or riding in the opposite direction the other side of the tape. I assume this is still included.

So whilst Springfield is essentially flat Hoggenberg is not. Personally I prefer Hoggenberg.

Why not ride both and decide for yourself your preferred course?

Daniel
  • The only answer that Sven would approve of is both, naturally.

Spiral of Doom rocks.

Hog Hill is tougher on kit if that's a factor.

Finally, there are fewer people entered online for the Saturday race, so potentially more points up for grabs.
  • We are down for both.

I think most of the venues have something about them that you remember/ like/ find challenging.

For my money Hog Hill is probably the slightly more interesting of the 2 for variety of features but that's not to say I don't like Springfield. (although I have had mechanicals there 2 years in a row)

See you there
  • Just for clarity my preference is to do both events but I am unfortunately presently unavailable on the Sunday.

I did a double header a couple of weekends ago and it was really great - double the hit. (If I carry on I will sound like am addict!)
  • On a separate note, the Svenness guys have kicked of their season with a Sven interview, getting his perspective on some of the things he does differently and why. Quite educational.
  • Ah, i hadent realised the Hog Hill one was as well regarded. Sunday only for me as Saturday im helping out at the club TT.
  • YouTube preview of tomorrow's Hog: http://youtu.be/WLdgHPuPOkE

Mark F
  • Thanks Mark. Looks good.

That's about as 'cross' as I've seen Hog Hill. Usually it favours mountain bikers, but this looks well balanced. Hopefully a bit more rain overnight to soften the ground up and we should be in for a good one!
  • It certainly softened up plenty when Anna rode there a few years ago... Her bike needed a total rebuild after that.

• Well I don't think we'll get that for tomorrow, but we can live in hope :)
  • you are all mad :)
  • Well spotted Mark. Looks very different from previous years. No spiral!!!!