Welcome to the forum

3 Peaks Cyclocross

edited September 2014 in Cyclocross/Offroad
That was so hard. Its been a very long day and too tired to write much. Daniel D Mark W Jackie and me all completed today in what was probably perfect conditions.

Comments

• I think the brevity of that write up summarises the difficulty perfectly. Massive kudos to all CCA - you have ridden brilliantly and done your club proud. Well done Jackie, Stuart, Mark and Daniel!
  • edited September 2014
    Thought of you as we (Martin H, Phil K and I) settled into the pub on Friday night in the Lakes, post-Fred, similarly happily exhausted
    Well done all! CCA is definitely on the map now
  • More info needed…and photos! what happened?
  • edited September 2014
    OK had a sleep now. (could of done with another few hours though) Ache all over and a lump on my head and knee from an over the bars episode but otherwise not too bad. Jackie has a huge bruise on her hip from carrying the bike.

The results

405th Daniel 4.43.49 A well deserved PB
    408th Mark 4.44.25 A little short of his previous best but that was 17 years ago
    499th Stuart 5.28.07
    521st Jackie 5.53.04 both first timers who were just pleased to complete!!!!!

There was a 650 limit and some will not have turned up and I saw at least 5 people be taken off the hill by mountain rescue.

A very memorable weekend. Very pleased to have done it. Huge thanks to Daniel for sorting the lodging.

Nathaniel was on hand to take pics and expect he has some really good ones. Slogging up Whernside as I dragged my self up using the wire fencing I was vaguely aware of a bloke sticking a camera in my face. It was a cheerful Nathaniel shouting encouragement.

A beautiful part of the country and a very well organised event. I have done a lot of hill walking but never up these 3. Not sure I would choose to do them again with a bike on my back!! Stunning views if you got the chance to look. Great conditions yesterday. I cannot imaging completing in the 2012 rain or the high winds from last year.

Stuart

well done to the Fred team
  • The weather was indeed near perfect – crucially there was minimal wind.

I rode most of the race just behind Mark, so can report on our adventures. For me it was an overall very positive experience but I had to deal with the purgatory of getting through some excruciating cramps climbing Whernside and Pen-y-gent.

This is my third edition of the race and I set out to break 5 hours. I prepared for this as best I could trying to address my biggest weaknesses and using my best tub glue. The end result of my planning was a small sticker on my stem with my target times. I have to say I am ludicrously happy that everything went to plan and I did indeed break the 5 hour barrier. I wasn’t sure though until limping to the top of Pen-y-gent as the sticker with my times had got wiped off in some crash along the way. I did crash a few times, but I was taking more risks, especially on the descents where I was previously very timid. The top of Whernside gave me particular issues this time, but it was really a head game and I got my act together.

So Mark and I finished more or less together convincingly inside 5 hours.

Jackie and Stuart came in a bit later, but not that much later! I’m not really sure of their story. I did a similar time last year, also on Schwalbe Landcruisers!

My bike performed really well and was a big factor in being able to go faster downhill. A highpoint was Nathaniel offering me encouragement near the summit of Simon’s Fell; that really helped!

Tyre pressures ranged from 50 to 70 PSI.

Another great CCA campaign at this glorious race.

Interesting to note that the V70 winner beat my time by ten minutes (I’ve got 21 years to practice) and Keith Bontgrager came second in the V60 category.

As a final note I am delighted that my work colleague Sarah Barber of North Hampshire RC came second in the women’s category (4:09). Also uber strong Dave (also off of work) broke 4 hours.
  • Not sure if insanity is infectious, but it seems clear that there is a strong masochistic streak in being a serious rider. Well done to you all and as you say Daniel, another massive CCA achievement like last club outing on these climbs.
  • Well done team cca - I was following your progress "live" on the sportident timing website yesterday afternoon - more exciting than the world champs road race!!

Daniel, I make your time this year an hour and a half quicker than your"debut" in 2012 - just think how quick you will be able to do it next year!!!
  • Great stuff. Brilliant to get inside (and well inside) 5 hours. Superb.

Im looking forward to seeing the photos and what a great thing to be in there with people like Keith Bontrager and Tim Gould who was a bit of a hero of mine.

Ill be interested to see where you think you made up time Daniel, I'm guessing being braver on the descending is a good chunk of it.
  • edited September 2014
    My target time and actual time reductions (in round minutes) are listed below:
    Target (T) Actual (A)
    Start to Ing T-3 A-3
    Ing to CC T-2 A-4
    CC to Whern T-10 A-11
    Whern to Rib T-2 A-7
    Rib to PYG T-5 A-5
    PYG to End T-2 A-5
    Total T-24 A-35

So yes the bigger than expected gains were on the descents. 3.5 bar in Tufo Cubus Flexus tubs.
  • Hello #
    Photo gallery from 3 Peaks here

And here are a few club highlights:

nathaniel rosa cycling photography