Welcome to the forum

Thetford Dusk-Dawn Enduro

edited October 2014 in General
Not sure if any CCA were there in the end?

I was! not racing though. Took some photos

Definitely interested in riding next year!?...

Comments

• edited October 2014
    V nice shots, Nathan
    (Almost enough to tempt me into giving it a go)
  • Agree - great photos and I'd be keen to try this sort of event.

I believe that MC rode this event. Didn't get to the clubroom last night so missed hearing his story.
  • so there's actual interest for next year? Could do a 4-person team!
  • Does look fun but it is at night, and i think I've pointed out before that night time is for sleeping..
  • Yes some great photos Nathaniel, especially the one with them all lined up ready to go.

Someone I work with did this last year, but bottled out of it this time - quite sensibly in my opinion, after hearing all the details!
  • I have done it a few times now, I found it easier solo as you don't stand around for hours in the freezing cold waiting for a team mate to come in/waiting for your turn to go out and do your lap. The event is fine as long as it is dry, if it's a wet race consider all your components like Bottom bracket, headset, chain/cassette, brake pads etc will be knackered by the end of the race. Expect to do a set of pads on every lap when it's lashing it down as the sand acts as a grinding paste, I opt to go single speed if it's going to be a wet race as it's less to worry about. It gets bloody freezing around 3am! would I do it again hell yeah, maybe next year.

Shelton
  • hmm ... as I said, 'almost ' enough!
  • edited October 2014
    I rode the first one, maybe 8yrs ago, though it wasn't in Thetford, somewhere on Salisbury Plain, the weaker half of a Men's Vets Pairs team.
    That then spawned several years riding M.Mayhem, Bonty 24 (my favourite), Sleepless, Kielder 100 & others but be aware, it can be very addictive!

Personally, I am not quick enough as a member of the standard team of 4 for 24hr racing, instead preferring the pairs racing over the full 24hr distance, or 12hrs, though I have raced solo at 24hrs too which is a whole different kettle o' fish.

You also have to decide as to whether you're taking pictures or racing as time off the bike needs to be recovery time as over the 24hrs, or 12hrs, both Man & machine both take a real battering.

Take two bikes, one will fail. Mayhem in particular, possibly because of the numbers involved, is famous for the "wet" years, "You should have been here in 2009, it t'ere twice as awful" you'll hear a lot of that banter - and having raced a couple in awful weather, I can confirm it to be pretty grim at times, lap times tumbling from maybe an hour to 2.5hrs and such like with more bike-carrying / pushing than riding.

The collateral damage on the bike often resulting from the cut grass combining with the gloopy mud to stop the wheels turning (the mud at SITS held nr Burton on Trent is really odd stuff in this regard), clogging every working part such that your rear mech' warps & then snaps the hanger early on, meaning you become a SS!