Welcome to the forum

Ride the Olympic Velodrome - 20th December

edited October 2014 in General
I have managed to secure us another session at the Velodrome on Saturday 20th December from 12 till 3pm

This session is open to all CCA members 12 and over, no previous track experience is necessary and it's not just for the racers, it would be great to see more of the Club run riders there too.

Cost should be around £24 per head which includes coaching. Bike hire is an additional £10 and shoes £6 for the session.

If you would like to ride please sign up HERE, we have space for 30 riders and it's first come first served.

Please note we will have to pay the full hire charge in advance, so if you sign up you are committing to pay your share (approx £24).

Please let us know if you have to drop out so that we can let someone else take your place at these very popular sessions.

And given the time of year maybe you could combine your riding with a bit of last minute Christmas shopping at Westfield - fun for all the family..

Comments

• Brilliant! Thanks Andrew
  • Thanks Andrew.
    Signed up.
    Not sure if 3 velodrome rides counts as experienced.
    Happy with either group
    Adam
  • I would have loved to do this, but it's double booked with my wedding, hmmm decisions........

Let me know when the next one is
  • Adam R - 3 rides is experienced but maybe see how the groups pan out on the day - that's what I will be doing.

Luke - I have applied for a couple of dates for the first 3 months of 2015 but no idea whether we will be successful as there are over 80 clubs competing for only 72 slots.

Fingers crossed..
  • thats great, thanks Andrew.

Im in, and all the other CXers please note that there is no Eastern league that weekend so what better than to cycle for a couple of hours in the warm with not a hint of mud.
  • I reckon Rhinos at 22 PSI would grip the boards. They'd need to be clean though.
  • You're right Tim, no Eastern League that weekend, but London League is at Hog Hill on the Sunday. Great double header with the velodrome on the Saturday?
  • edited October 2014
    Can I invite a V promising youth rider, non-club, should the numbers not work out?

James joined his local mtn bike club earlier this year, finally, and won the invitation open day, everything. I have been badgering his father to get James into a club, as said father is a previous neighbour; since 2010 when I joined CCA and better understood what a club could do for a rider.

James (15) immediately went on to represent his local SE mtn club, better still, he was a top 10 at The Gorrick each week therefter (for those unfamiliar, this is a VVDifficult set of course around Camberley).

His first club road ride was last w/end. He loved it.

He lives in Watford, so would not ride with the club. However, he would be massively fuelled by the experience and (any) invitation, were it extended, it would be taken up. His local cycling club are not nearly pro-active nor as dynamic as CCA, so an opportunity such as this would likely never come his way otherwise. You never know.

I would not venture this post were I not confident of his both ability and enthusiasm.

If he needs club membership, I will sort it.

A Wild-card entry perhaps?
  • St Albans..the Verulam is a great club and we have friends there. They often do track sessions and good club rides and we are always competing with them one way or another Tim....
  • edited October 2014
    Not the club with whom he rode.

I am only suggesting, were numbers not filled, he be given an opportunity. I will chaperone him gladly, though I can not keep his rear wheel in sight once he "goes"!

PS - working on the CCA Clan meet at Le Grand Depart as I type, inc' Chez Goeff.
  • sure Tim and Andrew can sort Tim...looking forwatd to pics of the time all up here.
  • edited October 2014
    Here
    Pics are on several SD cards, this is only one thus far.

Back to the thread...
  • Tim, yes if there's space that's fine bring him along. Obviously CCA members take precedence though.
  • Looking forward to this - and this time I'll take my own vinegar
  • edited November 2014
    Thanks v much again Andrew!

edit can no longer make it, have removed my name
  • Signed up so now there are at least 2 who have ticked 'beginner'.
  • I'm in also and making up the beginner numbers - also to get my head around boards riding in prep for my potential BC track coaching accreditation.
    I also hear its great fun!

Thanks Andrew for arranging

Jamie
  • Jamie, thats great! you wont believe how going round in ovals is so exciting!

Still a few spaces left, CX riders, there is nothing on that weekend. Give it a go. you will not be disapointed.
  • hi - the following are signed up, please pay into cca bank account or bring a cheque/cash on the day
    cost £24 for the session plus if you are hiring a bike £10, shoes £6. - see separate post on hiring stuff
    Cycle Club Ashwell, sort code 20-41-12, acct no 20382167 - please put reference VELO and your surname.

Andrew Robertson
    Holly Robertson
    Stef
    jonathan sunderland
    Jane Wilson
    Tim D
    Jenny Andrews
    Dave Wells
    Adam Roe
    Richard Titley
    Mark Constable
    Tim Fisher
    Steven Jennings
    James Creavin
    Thomas Charlesworth
    Stephen Collinson
    Vicky Byford
    Martin Hillier
    Tania Wicklow
    Jamie Quiggin
    Stuart Ridgeon
    Tim Allen
    Alan Triggs
    geoffg
  • still 5 places left if anyone interested - all welcome, beginners through to experienced riders, it's a great experience
    and a great way of getting some riding done without winter weather / traffic etc

post here if interested
  • Transport

09:52 train from Baldock gets in at 11:08 or via KK at 11:25.
    15 min walk from the station.

Means you don't need to drive.
    Just a thought.

PS - My Olympic & Paralympic book / coverage of the Games.
  • Hmmm really embarrassed here.
    Going to have to drop out.
    When I saw the original post I just assumed same timings as the last 2 sessions, starting at 9am.
    Thanks Jane, who today pointed out it starts at 12.00.
    I would have been there at 9 wondering what is going on.
    Got a Xmas do in Ipswich that evening and would not get there on time.
    Sorry. Have a great time everyone.
    And if you have not tried it, I highly recommend it.
    Adam
  • A late possible entry but noticed that Stef mentioned still possible to sign up.

Stef - interested!

Alex
  • Alex - yes there's space - you are in if you want to.
  • In that case I am in!

Just a quick question you can maybe help with. My wife kindly bought me an intro session for the velodrome for my birthday and I still have the voucher. Do you reckon they will accept this as payment for me?
  • Hi Alex, glad you can make it. The cost of the whole session has already been paid for by the CCA. everyone who put their name down owes the club so your voucher sadly wont be any use for our session. Just means you get to have another go!
  • Ah ok. No problem, can't wait!
  • Tim (Gilgamesh) - there are still a few spaces left so if your youth friend (James) still wants to come along thats fine.
    Cheers
    Stef
  • Thanks
    I've paid the annual CCA fee for him already.

I've mentioned it to his dad, but it's their work's do that Friday night...

See you on Saturday.
  • I've just put my name down on the assumption that it's not too late to do so. (Will bring my own bike)

Thanks again Jane for pointing this out to me this morning.