Welcome to the forum

Chiltern 100, 31st May 2015 - open for entries

edited October 2014 in Sportives
Just got a note that this is now open for entries.

A great organised ride in as much as it's so local and so brutal. I'll likely be having another go at it.

http://humanrace.co.uk/events/cycling/chiltern-100-sportive

Comments

• Jane mentioned a plan (or maybe the beginnings of a plan) to do the medio fast next year rather then the gran - does anyone else have appetite for this?
  • Entered.

Put Cycle Club Ashwell as the team entry.

Also entered the Lionheart 100 in Wiltshire on 22 March 2015 which was an option when booking the Chiltern 100
  • James and all are you going for the 110 mile or 76 mile at pace. Whatever you say I will book place today to match.
  • Not really keen on the whole Human Race razzamatazz thing, so I'm going to skip the sportif

Still hoping for a few big outings to the Chilterns though, so I'm definitely up for any Chilterns training rides next year
  • Speaking to MC on the train this morning and trying to work out how many people are riding this SUNDAY.

We thinks its as follows:

Me
    MC
    Robbie
    Skelders

Anyone else involved?

Aiming to be riding by 8:00am so as to finish about 3:00pm
  • Unfortunatley for that price nowadays you expect closed roads etc.

I always thought this was a reasonably priced brilliant event, i agree with Jane and think the human race are taking a liberty now...
  • James
    Robbie
    MC
    (No Skelders)
  • It's looking 50/50

Unless Arsenal smash Villa then no chance :-D
  • Stevie and I are signed up. Stevie's doing the 75 mile route.

From the information I have read, we are being sent the start time, but I've not seen that yet. 8am would suit me but I doubt I'll be able to stick with you Paris-Nicers anyway.

Probably last go this year. As others have said it's all gone a bit corporate.
  • Looks like we are all down to start at 7:12 including Vicky.

See you there,
    Mark.
  • See you at the start.... 7am ish
  • Unfortunately I won't be on the start line, have kids over.

If anyone wants my number foc, welcome to it. At Wembley now but will be back later or txt me 07976 628299
  • I'll be there at 7:00 too

A few guys from work riding this too so we should have a good posse at the start
  • have fun everyone
  • edited May 2015
    Only just escaped the motorway closure near Welwyn after a car had spattered across the road...
    Four of us managed to get thro. MC wasn't as lucky. Not sure if he made the ride.

We set off 7.15 as planned, Mark, James and myself. Tad wet. But a warm wet. Usual hilly route. Lots of punctures.... Sometimes three four in a row. Fortunately not us. As expected we kinda split up eventually. Got back and had a descent chicken kebab. Garmin says total time 7hrs 03mins with 2755m climbing. In the legs.
    Just seen... Official time 7hr 02mins.
  • edited May 2015
    Another classic 100 (read 110) miles in challenging but doable conditions this year. I rode with Mark and Robbie and then just Robbie for just over 4 hours before I started to feel battered and couldn't stay with the pace.

Kind of imploded between 60-90 miles But regained my legs for the final push once the last of the big hills were out of the way. Had great fun on the drops and built up quite a head of steam for 15 miles before a nasty 1/3 mile climb out of Chesham put an end to that - and I so thought I was home and dry in my shiny new CCA jersey which had been kept under wraps due to the rain.

Epic levels of grime everywhere from the spray and road clag. Amazingly no punctures despite hitting two deep potholes hard and all the washout on tarmac.

Hope MC got a ride. Stevie said she saw another CCA shirt and we hope it was you? I think Stevie had a good ride but like me was slightly out of puff at the end to enter into detailed conversation!

Mark W brought out a tractor of a bike ( a do it all cross road trial bike with 52 C tyres and full miss ) and if he managed to propel that around this course should be given the VC!

Don't think I can face this another year though. Going to take up gardening instead in the first week of June....
  • Good write-up James. Sounds like an epic especially with the early rain. Reckon Mark's Pinnacle with mudguards and 28mm tyres was the way to go today.

Gardening? Don't you mean the Fred Whiiton or Etape du Dales for 2016!
  • Enjoyed that - proper hard ride. Plenty of wind, rain and hills.

Decided to take it steady in the conditions, have a few chats and enjoy the feed stations. I'm not convinced about cold, salted boiled potatoes though. They seemed to be going down well with others though.

Only saw about 4 others with mudguards but I stayed reasonably dry and comfortable. Punctured riders everywhere. No punctures on my tractor tyres! Someone else remarked that my tractor looked a tad heavy for the ride. I don't think he realised I had cyclo-cross gears on, just the business for Whiteleaf.

James, I too did the head of steam thing for the last 15 miles and started hard up the final climb before realising it went on a bit further than I thought and my legs gave up. Just over 8 hour in total.

Stevie did the Medio and a wrong turn made it 80 miles for her on her tractor with no punctures.
  • Four scotch eggs! James had two Pork pies! Lol