Welcome to the forum

Derny Racing

edited October 2014 in General
Martin L. just sent me this from yesterday's Amsterdam Six Day Event, it doesn't inspire me to race again!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSnvzu_-w2U

Comments

• Ooof! Nasty. What happened there then? The derny seemed to just ride into the back of the team in front. Maybe like me he was a bit confused by the 2 tone track, i thought it was a very narrow track at first. Cant be much fun getting run over by a Derny.
  • ouch! Did that derny bike really have to ride over a cyclist after he'd hit the deck?
  • edited October 2014
    The talk in the press is that he 'fainted' before the collision, I think it's fairly clear that he was unconscious before he was run over as he wasn't doing anything to protect himself.

Cycling Weekly

At 35mph on an indoor track it's almost impossible to take evasive action and the derny rider who went over his colleague and the cyclist looks to me to have been boxed in at the 'decision' moment.

Having nearly being put through the fence at Welwyn at 36mph I can confirm that there is little time to react!
  • You'd have to be an incredibly experienced track rider to not instinctively attempt to freewheel behind an incident like that, and you'd also, at the same time, instinctively swerve, those two actions at the same time probably won't go down well, maybe that's what the guy at the back did?
  • Ah, fainting seems to make sense. certainly wasnt with it when he was sliding. Hope the chap makes a full recovery.
  • I watched it again several times and I see what you mean - it was the derny rider who slid like a deadweight and got run over by another derny, plus following cyclist
    Must have been horrible for everyone involved.
  • edited October 2014
    I just stumbled upon this clip while looking for something else but it gives a good idea of 6 day derny racing from the perspective of those on the track and you can see that if something goes wrong you haven't got much time to do anything!
    Iljo Keisse behind a derny.
  • edited October 2014
    hmmm pacey!
    ... why do derny riders pedal with their knees out?
    (that's my last silly question about dernies, I promise)
  • Richards your man for that one. They control the speed of the derny with the pedals in a sort of fixed wheel kind of way but why they pedal with the knees out and use the middle of the foot im not really sure. More shielding for the rider behind?, because thats the way weve always done it?
  • edited October 2014
    The position on the bike is UCI approved and much time on the course is given over to attaining this. Heels on the pedals, with toes pointing out and elbows out as far as possible. This gives as much protection from the headwind as possible to the following cyclist. No loose or flappy clothing is allowed but there is no restriction on the size of rider, giving a starting point to the rumour that the bigger the derny rider the more advantage is gained, I couldn't possibly comment!

The bikes are chain driven from a 50cc motor the other side of the bike is a conventional fixed gear set up but with a massive 72 tooth cog and short pedal cranks. This set up enables the derny rider to fine tune the speed of the bike by pedalling harder or putting resistance through the pedals. Use of the throttle or brakes causes too drastic change in the speed which the following rider can't accommodate.

With this in mind it's interesting to watch the video again. Keeping an eye on the 5th and 6th placed pairs I think that both derny riders automatically 'dab' the brakes on seeing what is happening in front of them. The rider of the 5th pair reacts super quickly and ducks round and above his derny lead in a text book manoeuvre. The sixth place rider doesn't see it coming and can't react quick enough to the touch of the brakes, hits the back of the derny hard and comes off.

There's a lot to it but if anyone fancy's a go in the summer I can organise a coached derny session.
  • edited October 2014
    A little bit more: -

This style of derny racing is an endurance event, typically between 60-80 laps of a 250m track.

Here is a link to the 2012 derny nationals at Herne Hill, if you look carefully you'll see me racing. (Not a good look!)