Welcome to the forum

Mistley CX

edited October 2014 in Members only
Hope to see everyone at Mistley tomorrow. Dont forget the clocks go back which is a bit of a relief as its quite a trek in the morning.

Looks like it will be quite dry so sort of dry compost conditions. I will be trying out my new single ring set up which im quite excited about. Got a hope 38 wide/narrow and am hoping the spring on the Apex mech is strong enough to prevent the chain coming off. Note the old but light and simple Exage lever which has a much longer pull than the sram doubletap and has much improved the back brake.
Im fully expecting all this to add up to huge performance gains, at least 10 places ;)

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Nice one, Tim

(Compost is wonderful stuff, I agree ... although this is the first time in my life that I've thought about mixing it with my bike)
  • Looks like that 10 speed chain is coming off with a medium cage! looks like I might gain ten places now :-) anyone else for some last minute bike tinkering???
    I don't want to come last tomorrow...

Slow poke Shelton
  • Good stuff Tim, Sram mechs are preferred for this setup as they have stronger default tension than Shimano. Have you shortened your chain? Wrap it round the chainring and largest cog without going through the mech and add two links is the usual advice.
  • Oi Hadsley, stop giving advice out to club members! or else...
  • Yes i did shorten the chain and it does have quite a beefy spring, but is a medium cage. We will find out tomorrow if it stays on. I dont remember Mistley being that bumpy more a case of riding through a large bag of John Innes number 2, so might not be a true test.

Also a bit worried that we might be a bit down on vets competitors. I think Mark is ill, Stuart on hols and im assuming Dave wont be heading East after riding today? Sounds like Sheltons riding again though!
  • I am riding, legs feeling a bit heavy tonight but I'll give it my best tomorrow.

The good thing with single chainring and no chain device, even if it does come off it's a relatively simple job putting it back on. I'm sure it will be fine though, I had a medium cage on mine over the summer including for Tour of the Cornfields and it stayed on.
  • Yeah and I'm going to beat John Polak tomorrow :-) as mentioned to you Tim, go to Maglia Rosso if your chain stays on there it won't come off anywhere as there track is really harsh and bumpy.

Shelton
  • Good luck in the compost you lot, I'm heading south. Bike's looking good Tim, just needs some real brakes now ;) The narrow wide set up does come off occasionally, but it's not very often (once a year type of thing) and as Dave says easy to sort. I am just waiting for my chain guides to die (or get a little bit ill) and I will be going narrow wide as well.

There is a relatively easy way to increase the tension in your RD Tim, google Parks Tools RD tension adjustment. Well worth spending the ten minutes or so.
  • You down to Southampton as well Shelton?
  • Don't be daft John boy I haven't bumped my head (yet)
  • No results posted yet which is unusual for Eastern League, will post them if they arrive before my bedtime.

The good news is that my chain stayed on but it was a tough one, relentless sharp climbs and lots of tricky composty corners. Found it hard going and was quite relieved to be lapped by the leader just before the bell.
  • We were a bit down on numbers today. Half term i guess and JP was down in Southampton riding a National series.
    Results as follows….Well done to all.

U10

1 Jo Hadsley
    2 Mark Lightfoot

U12

5 Freddie Cooke
    8 Sam Daniels

Youth

4 Travis Pell
    12 Adam Lightfoot
    24 Harley Pell (1st u14 girl)

Vet 40-49