Welcome to the forum

Paunchy Pudding-less Pub-free Paleo Pirates Pouring Parade Sunday 2nd Nov 9.30am

FDFD
edited November 2014 in Club runs
Yo Ho slimming shipmates

Cap'n AWOL, so yours truly at the wheel again tomorrow

Poor weather forecast calls for a steady fat-burner of around 35 miles @16mph

With Dutchie on the bridge, it's an abridged Two Bridges route - 'Can't Cope with Cople'

Down with Everton, Up the Langford!

All welcome. Bring yer flippers and oil-skins!

FD

Comments

• Looking forward to testing those new mudguards out. Don't get caught behind the captain he rides bareback.
  • FDFD
    edited November 2014
    Yo Ho you shy buccaneers

Anyone else on for a voyage tomorrow with Dutchie?

Nothing wrong with some sea spray, all part of being a pirate, Rules 5 and 9 to be invoked

Fitness and banter guaranteed....

...1000 calories at least.....You know you want to.

FD
  • FDFD
    edited November 2014
    Yo Ho

4 crew braved the elements and manned the pumps. All 4 sensibly had mudguards fitted. Rule 5 and 9 medals awarded. Good to see another Lost Boy, Steve, return to Neverland on a new steed.

Rain lashing down at the start, eased as we approached Potton, when suddenly it stopped. Shame on the BBC for their miserable forecast of a veritable cataclysm. Even the wind seemed to ease from Moggerhanger onwards. The couch potatoes (not on the paleo) must feel cheated - not there when the chips (also not allowed) were down.

A few others out - we got booed by Dan M and his Welwyn team mate near Northill and was that Strappy we saw?

Thanks to Mick for the tow up to Langford water tower, really got the heart pumping.

Sprint uncontested, Mick just kept going (as did his mudguards this time) and the Two Johns content to let him have it.

35 miles @ 16.6mph, did exactly as it said on the tin (of beer I'm not supposed to have).

Garmin calorie count was 1,600 - maybe I will give the bird seed a miss and crack a beer open after all

FD
  • Boo-ed by the Welwyn boys! Why?
  • edited November 2014
    BTW Garmin's calorie-counting algorithms are wildly inaccurate unless you've got Edge 800 (or a later version, presumably) AND you use a heart rate monitor (or probably a power meter... which I don't have and I haven't looked into the detail of how that data is used)

Quite good assessment here The best the Edge 705 can do is use your bodyweight plus the speed and distance data to guess what you've burned. It doesn't even take account of whether you're male or female and although the 705 has an altimeter, Garmin decided not to use data from it. The energy you need to climb 10% for 4miles is vastly different to what you need to descend the same 4miles, but the 705 might give you identical calorie-burn figures for both of these rides

My Edge 800 apparently operates much the same as the 705 if it doesn't get HR data (and I typically get energy expenditure readings 2-3 times higher if I don't wear the HRM). If it gets HR data, it also takes account of my sex, weight and 'fitness class' to estimate energy expenditure. Obviously my HR is higher the more climbing I do and the more wind I have to fight ... and because there's a v strong correlation between HR and energy expenditure, this method is a lot more accurate than the one the 705 is using. Still not perfect, but my gut feel says it's been pretty good so far (and the experts reckon only 7-10% error margin)
  • Yo Ho

Thanks Jane - was using a Garmin 800 with a heart rate monitor, so hopefully the readings have been fairly accurate.

Maybe it should just tell me how many beers and chips I COULD have drunk and eaten for that journey?! Not enough, I expect......

It was more of a teasing 'CC Ashwell- Boo, CC Ashwell-Boo!' as Dan and his Welwyn mate sped past the other way, nothing to stop his pocket money for!

Back to the bird seed, veggies and fruit.....

Starving Dutchman
  • edited November 2014
    Fear not !
    Captain returns to add Qs to your Ps
    Back to normal with rain forecast Sat, Sunday ok
    Lots of Canadian nachos , burgers, wraps and meat to fuel the Captain
    Stuff of the Dutchie dreams
    Calorie count to be lots of bird seed

Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away
    If you could use some exotic booze
    There's a bar in far Bombay
    Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

CP
  • Yo Ho Cap'n

See Hook is off the hook and Pugwash returns - glad to hear it

You can't keep a good pirate down

My feathers ruffled by your talk of unpalatable un-Paleo grub

Bird seed getting a tad dull now and I'm not eating anywhere near as much as I used to

In fact, pieces I ate, pieces I ate

FD
  • watch the birdie, as it fades away
    on the Paleo you must not stray

A remarkable bird , the Norwegian Blue
    captain barks, will he come through ?

On the seed he chokes, is he really dead ?
    What's really needed is a loaf of bread

But as the plumage catches the light of the sun
    shiny bird comes if doughnuts you does shun

Rusty, in Pet shop
    CP

Keep going !
  • FDFD
    edited November 2014
    Yo Ho

Will give up the Trill this Saturday for a birthday tweet

More likely to be liquid carbs than burgers, cake and chips

May affect my attendance on deck this coming Sunday

Feeling stronger, but nowhere near light enough or fast enough to reach take off

Will stay on the Cap'n's shoulder a little longer yet...

Starving Dutchman
  • FDFD
    edited November 2014
    Yo Ho

See you next Sunday for more pirating adventures

Lost Boys return to Neverland?

FD