Welcome to the forum

Bicycle cleaning and lubrication

edited November 2014 in Kit
I have been asked a few times, the last time by I think Pete on Sunday, about what products I use to keep racing bikes clean and running smoothly. I met a club cyclist recently who spends nearly £10 a year on lubrication and chain cleaning products specifically marketed to the cycle enthusiast, which I find extraordinary.

The answer is that I am not an expert but I ignore completely all products that are specifically for the bicycle market. I am not saying that they don´t work because they do and I have tried most of them at some stage, just that I don´t need them and use low cost proven engineering products instead. In answer to Pete`s question I use:

Carlac polish on the bicycle paintwork which is very quick to do.
Clean the bike with a little water and rag which is usually all that´s needed if it has been polished beforehand.
Small amount of white spirit in jam jar to clean the chain occasionally - as per cleaning a paint brush and is very quick.
10W40 Motor oil (budget oil from Morrisons is fine and a can will see you out!) immerse the clean dry chain in oil, wipe way the excess and ride away with a nice quiet drivetrain without fiddling about.
Copper loaded grease on shoeplate screws so that they don´t get stuck.
Humbrol enamel paint on the cassette spacers, coloured chains and as a witness on screwthreads.
Grease in the freewheel (older types particularly) makes them quieter and they stay quiet.
Additional layer of bar tape with additional padding in certain places which significantly increases grip options.
Do not lubricate the Ergo levers - maintain them properly instead which means not squirting oil into them!
Cover the drain hole at the bottom of the frame with tape at the beginning of a ride and this prevents water getting up into the unreliable modern bottom bracket and then remove it straight after the ride.
Oil the spoke nipples so that they don´t get stuck and make sure that there is no water trapped in the wheel rim.

For those interested in keeping their bicycles looking smarter and running better than new without buying a single high priced bicycle product then I hope this helps`- I am not an expert but simply replying to questions.

Rupert

Comments

• Thanks Rupert, nothing better than cleaning the bike after a decent ride and always up for a few tips. I must agree that apart from chain lube I don't use any cycle specific products for the same reason you suggest.
    There is the old adidge that a clean bike is a fast bike and I need all the help I can get!
    Look forward to the clean machines out on the road soon
  • Great tips. Many thanks :)
  • You say greasing an older type makes them go quite
    Do this apply to all models ?
    I believe some squeak more than others
    Usually the noisy one at the back

Do you find this ?

How can I eliminate this problem ?
    thanks

CP
  • Thanks Rupert

Could have done with you to help sort the post-ride bike clean up on Sunday!