Welcome to the forum

World Cup CX Milton Keynes

edited November 2014 in Cyclocross/Offroad
So, who is heading over to MK tomorrow to catch some Svenness?

For those who dont know, its the first World Cup level cyclo cross to be held outside mainland Europe and should be a cracking event.

What time are you thinking of getting there and does anyone have any idea where they are going to spectate from?
Im going to try and go fairly early as im a bit worried about parking. Looks like we wont need our raincoats though.
Will look out for CCA caps (and Martins kids with cow bells!)

Comments

• wear wellies or walking boots
  • Joseph and I will be going. We'll probably try and spectate somewhere on the left hand bank of the main ridge as you're looking towards the monument thingy. Lots of off camber action near there. We'll be wearing a Flanders hat and a big bobble hat in CCA colours. We'll be getting there early, 9-9.30.
  • Hoping to be there for the junior race.
    Free parking at J14 park and ride sounds good if you haven't booked.
  • edited November 2014
    We are there about 11:30. Got maybe 5 operational cowbells. Daft bobble hat. and will try and knock out a dirk hofman motorhomes sign tonight. Is it on the telly?

We will be very near the nearest frites van.

The website has a great car parking map of MK. Look like it won't be a problem. Billions of spaces.

Let down by the weather. Sunny and quite mild.

Car parking map [the course is just to the right off the map]

http://www.miltonkeynesworldcupx.com/shop/images/milton-keynes-parking-guide.pdf
  • I've been there today as a volunteer getting the riders signed-in and parking has already proven to be a problem as recent weather has prevented the planned use of some off-road areas for vehicles. Even some of the teams are going to have to fight it out for space in 'general' parking areas so might not be as plain sailing as maps might suggest.

course is great, although the off-camber central section has already turned into a mud-chute and left many riders on their backsides.......although Sven made it look very ridable!

hope everyone has a good day and sees some great racing
  • How good was that? Fantastic day.
    Good luck to all the CCA riders tomorrow, especially on "lazer corner"
  • It's a pity it wasn't live on TV here, especially as it's the first time that the UK has hosted a round of the CX World Cup.
    The live coverage on the UCI You Tube channel was great and I spotted a few CCA caps in the crowd.
    There are highlights of both the elite men's and women's races on You Tube, just search for the UCI channel.

I'm sure it was better being there in person though.
  • Thanks Tim, I am not sure it's luck we need on Lazer corner. I am strapping cushions to various parts of my anatomy!
  • Brilliant day - great racing in all 3 races.

I have a tyre mark on my hat after being clunked on the head by a Rhino at the end of the straight after Lazer corner. I would not mind but I wasn't even leaning on the barrier!!
  • null

null

null

Washing machine on at the mo: about to explode from the mud!

Good to see Sven in the flesh. Looked like a popstar. Certainly had the fan following.

Eldest got a high-five and free postcard from Helen Wyman.

Youngest did a pretty good Didi impression.

Shazammed all the pumping rubbish techno music they played and made that our soundtrack for the drive home.

Great selection of beers on draught. Had potential for a reet proper grown-up day out. Next year...?
  • Sophie came back pale and anxious and went straight upstairs to look for her studded running shoes. She doesn't think she is going to be spending much time in the saddle tomorrow morning!
  • It was a fantastic day, spent most of the men's race running circles round the monument thingy. Great course design where you could see 90% of the race from one spot.

Even my wife begrudgingly derived some enjoyment from it!
  • Highlights on Eurosport 2 right now. 6-7pm...
  • edited November 2014
    How did you get on CCA? cant wait to hear news of the Laser Luge!
  • edited November 2014
    Laser corner was removed for the racing! A decision I support, but I think opinion is divided. I understand someone bust their collar bone during the warm up laps. Naturally I fell off when I tried and judged that even 'running' would have been problematic.
    The whole course was hard. Very hard. The massive run up was purgatory. However having regretted entering from almost the moment I'd hit pay I really enjoyed the race. This was in no small part down to the best pit crew: Dave and Joe transformed my mud laden pbike into a prestine machine with only the aid of half a cup of water and a toothbrush - thanks guys, you were marvellous. The promised Duck Smart pressure washing service ran out of water!

I didn't see Harley and Sophie race as I was in a dream state of oxygen debt and lactic bewilderment. Travis looked good though.

John rode a stormer and got me on the line (lapping me!)

Don't know how Jackie did.

Amazing venue, course and yesterday's racing was top notch. Well done Milton Keynes.
  • Well done Daniel and all the CCA riders, brave effort.

Just to echo the comments above, it was fantastic yesterday. To be able to see the top riders after just an hours drive instead of the usual ferry trip was great. I caught up with many old cyclo-cross friends and officials and we all agreed that not that long ago we could not have predicted a World Cup coming to GB let alone such a good one. Apparently Sven was impressed with the course despite his first lap mishap.

We caught up with Ian Field's parents after the event who were understandably thrilled at how well he had done, especially as they have never travelled abroad to see him race.

It will be really interesting to watch the next edition of Sveness on CXhairs.
  • Our pleasure Daniel, really enjoyed it in there. There's a great feeling of camaraderie in the pits and I happened to be stationed next to a certain masters world champion's pit crew so got to have a good look how a world champ sets there bike up, very interesting.

Respect to you and all those who rode today, very hard doesn't do it justice.
  • Still waiting on the results.

Noah and Jackie both really enjoyed the experience though. Sadly for Jack although she was having a good race they pulled the 80% rule because of our American guest so she ended up losing a lap at the end.

Life in the pits was not easy as the promised jet wash facility did not have any water. Interesting that 2 pit commisaires only appeared in the Katie race telling people off for standing in the wrong place but were nowhere to be seen in the juniors race.
  • Brilliant, just brilliant. Well done everyone, what a great thing to have been a part of!
  • edited December 2014
    Great day out.

Found a few pics, no Travis or Sophie sadly.

• Provisional results are now listed on the BC website. CCA are well represented in them:

V40-49
    30 John Polak
    65 Daniel Doncaster

VW
    9 Jackie Field

U16 Boys
    51 Travis Pell
    63 Noah Field

U14 Girls
    8 Harley Pell
    15 Sophie Lewis

Congratulations to all who raced on this amazing course.

Commiserations to Jackie for not being able to complete her race due to 'UCI rules'. I understand why they applied this rule, but I don't think those reasons justify the decision.

Congratulations to John; scoring any points in a National Trophy race is a big deal, but on this course on that day is very impressive.

Hopefully the full races from the World Cup will be uploaded to the UCI Channel on You Tube soon. Both races are excellent sport.

Daniel
  • Thanks for posting these Daniel

Noah's result is incorrect at the moment and they are looking into it. They have him down for a 23 minute first lap!!!

They were very hot on the UCI rules for our international guests in the ladies race. They went along the rows on the grid checking tyre width with a caliper and one lady had to let some pressure out so her tyre fitted.

Think the footage is on you tube already
  • Daniel Son,

It wasn't just Jackie who was cut short of her race! The under 14 Boys set off 2 minutes in front of the under 14 Girls but the finish time was set on the 1st Boy over the line!? only 4 Girls got 3 laps in, how is the fair?

Shelton
  • edited December 2014
    I'm sure it you asked Sophie and Harley, Shelton, they would not be concerned that they did not have to do 3 laps! If someone told Sophie to carry her bike up that hill again with addition of 5lb of mud and grass she would have flattened them! The confirmed results in the girls under 14 race was Harley an amazing 9th and Sophie an awesome 16th (in only her ?7th CX race).
  • Grabbed the results from Velouk earlier to get the paper reports off this morning. Annoyingly the results differed from these so have sent a revision to the papers. Hopefully the update their results, apologies in advance if not!
  • Claire,

You have totally lost me! why would I ask my own Daughter how many laps she think she will do!? totally irrelevant to what I was putting across i.e Women are treated totally different to the Male Gender.
  • Whatever the pro's and con's of male female equality guys, I'm just loving the way our club across the age categories is performing. Chapeau to all CX'ers. Oh, and women are different to men Shelton :-)
  • Bob has posted up his World Cup and National Trophy photos here LINK

Some great shots which really portray the conditions of 'Trauma Corner' and elsewhere. Gurning fans will not be disappointed! Based on the shot of John, I'm not sure he was actually trying very hard though! (Bob wasn't especially concentrating on CCA, so don't be too upset if you are not featured).

Enjoy!
  • do like bob's be caught some key players!

i just posted a few photos up on my site aswell http://www.nathanielrosa.co.uk/milton-keynes-world-cup-cyclocross-2014
  • Nice photos Nathaniel, thanks for posting them.