Welcome to the forum

Sunday 27th fast ride

edited September 2009 in Club runs
Tony thanks for stopping to help me with my mechanical. An uncharacteristic spoke / wheel failure. I very much appreciated your support and assistance.
Managed to get the wheel to run without hitting the frame in the end with the help of the chap with the spanner.
You are a credit to the club and by the way were going very well today. Sorry the others did not wait so you could have continued on the group ride.

To those who perhaps were not aware till too late I made it back without too much trouble once we found a friendly bike mechanic in the next village.

To one respected member of the club you let yourself down today. There was no need to act like you needed to outcast someone who was actually waiting for you at the top of the hill in usual club fashion before I realised I had a more serious bike problem than originally thought. To discourage the rest of the club from stopping to help someone asking for assistance was disappointing and most uncharacteristic so a one off I hope and enough on the matter.

Hope the rest of the fast ride went well.

Regards and see you on the road soon.

Vincent

Comments

• Vincent, glad you got back. I carried on for a bit, half hearted, and went home.

Firstly I apologise to you for having to pay the price of what was my 'crime', and no one stopping to help you.
    To all club members on the ride, I apologise for obviously aggravating you all today, the legs just wanted to go round. A word in my ear would have done the trick. I will not be the first, or the last rider in a club to have a good day.

You should have stopped, and Vincent has that covered.

My own complaint today is on another level. To see your club mates pass you by when they should stop is one thing, to be hurled abuse and language that cannot be repeated on here is another, and it is not what I ride my bike on Sunday mornings for. Certain words in particular are really quite nasty and full of venom, and in my own view unforgiveable.

Tony
  • Perhaps this can be sorted out off the forum
    Suggest those involved speak to each other
    Appologise where appropriate
    Please do not continue this tone on the forum
    Only put things that are appropriate for anyone to see

Any inappropriate discussions will be removed

James

Chairman
  • James,

I agree off forum is the place for further discussions.
    It happened, was I hope a one off and as far as I and I am sure Tony are concerned should be noted only to avoid it occurring again.

my email is vjfriedlander@gmail.com for any further correspondence if required to clear the air.

Vincent
  • on a more positive note can I thank Carmello for telling me I 'had' to ride with the fast group and for him setting a more sustainable pace after the intial breakaway was caught. It was also a privilage to watch ash glide along effortlessly and to share the rear with Tim a fellow beer and cheese fan...

Many thanks all
    andr
  • edited September 2009
    Was a true nasty boy ride yesterday...I didn't hear the language...I slowed it down and we were turning when Carmelo came through and went ahead. Torn, most got on quickly as we could see that there would likely be a divide..all guilty of that and a word in ear might have been the better way......sorry your ride ended but truthfully was relieved to have a steadier if fast paced ride and hope wheel fixed now Vincent...I turned around and noticed Max sprinting to close the gap..as he had gone back most assumed others were following...we settled a pace up front at 18's and rode on.
    It's not the first time the nasty boys have broken the field and I expect it won't be the last. I think the clue is in the term "nasty boys ride" they aren't always, it's just that sometimes the tendency to turn is stronger than camaraderie..There are different rules which apply as and when it seems appropriate to those on the ride of the day...today's was apparently f**k it..we're going.......For myself I was thankful to be able to stay in there and actually took the final sprint into Ashwell.......don't think Ashley could have cared as he won the power finish down to the Royston Rd. and they might have been being generous.......save losing you(although we were able to breath again when you had gone), it was a great ride and a great route, so thanks Steve for that.....

You were looking far too sprightly for the likes of me Tony and know for sure you would have had it today on that form.Surprised you had the legs Vincent after your showing on the Cyclo-Cross on Saturday........hope to see you next week, although I will have raced at Hillingdon on Sat. and may prefer a more sedate ride as a wind down.

cheers guys for an interesting morning
  • Well, we had 8 in a slightly shorter, quicker version of Bobs ride for those of us with a shorter sunday morning license. Compared to the above it was all very pleasant, averaged 17.8. Ian F wound it up from cromer and Skelders clipped off the front with a mile to go, his S3 slicing atoms as he just stayed away.

Indeed it was such a lovely day, and we had got back to Ashwell at 11.30 with credit left on our licenses that we decided to go the pub!
    Rose and crown wasnt yet open so went to the Three Tuns. We met the new landlord who told us that they dont open until 12, but the side door will always be open and they will serve drinks from 11. Seemed a very accommodating chap and said we were welcome to use the back room after rides. Maybe a new post ride meeting venue?

All very civilised,
    Tim.
  • here here, thoroughly enjoyed it, all good especially the pint afterwards! Tuns get my vote, very friendly & want our business!!!
  • Yes i agree a very good ride (65 miles) with my ride to & from ashwell with great weather and nice to have some spare time for a pint thanks to ian for paying the bar tab.
    I will of course return the favor at the rose & crown if your around ian,a bit gutted i still cant keep up with you guys
    on the sprint never mind maybe later on next year.
    cheers all
    strappy.
  • forced myself out for another 30 last night and again tonight, bought some assoss shorts as my fat @rse needs some tlc!
  • forgot stats for our ride...was 65 miles....quite hilly, or at least I think it was...18.5-19mph, so not the fastest ride but quite a testing route...Steve..can you map that route for us please, it was a very well put together one and worth repeating......phil also was the first rider this season to prototype a fixed wheel 20 gear bike.....scary stuff Phil....his freewheel stopped freewheeling
  • Great to hear everyone had a good day last week, despite my grumbles. That is all now resolved and forgotten with no hard feelings. Unlike Andre I spent the week with man-flu so not sure about a fast one tomorrow.
    Won't be long before you will be a contender in the sprints strappy.
    Regards,

Vincent