Welcome to the forum

The Tour Of Cambridgeshire

edited December 2014 in General
A bit different and looks like it could be a good day out. I've entered.

http://vcoolsm.org/uci_uwct_TT_Time_Trial.php

Lots of talk and more info here - http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=96144

Comments

• That looks different! closed roads and a starting ramp. Got to be a good target for all you testers. that was the course used for the National tt champs a couple of years back i think. Fairly sure Richard Glover rode if you need tips.
  • I thought it might be good for the non testers too. Running before the Grand Fondo could mean quite a few riders doing both.
  • edited December 2014
    There's more about it in this week's Comic.

And official site;
    http://www.tourofcambridgeshire.com/

I have to say I'm interested in the Gran Fondo. I've always liked the idea of doing one in the States and saying 'Gran Fondo' a lot in an American accent. The route almost touches familiar club runs to Grafham. Not far away. It might have that exciting vibe the Beds Road reliability rides had when the start went off like a mass bike race. And it might be a bit like how the Club treats the London Phoenix Easter ride. And it might be like the closed road London ride last summer - which felt like a privilege.

Something to chat on more. Maybe at the next Club night, Tues 6th Jan, Three Tuns.

It's the weekend 6 and 7 June.
  • I think I'll do the Time Trial. Daughters birthday on the Sunday, so I dare not ask permission!
  • Yep, TT here also. Looks a fantastic event
  • This event looks fantastic yet quiet expensive.
  • In for the Gran Fondo - looks like a great event.
  • this looks amazing, and right on our doorstep.
    in a fit of christmas madness i've signed up for both the tt and the gran fondo.
  • The organiser has said the TT event is almost full................better get in quick!
  • edited December 2014
    Is anyone looking to race the Gran Fondo, not just the Sportive bit?
  • Signed up for the TT.
  • I have signed up for the TT and Gran Fondo. Slight problem, need a TT bike lol. Best get that sorted!

'Pearce'... Excuse me for my ignorance, but how is the 'Race' and 'Sportive' separated? Racers start nearer the front? started separately?
  • Hi Beny, I have a TT bike for sale :) see here: http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=96217

With a Gran Fondo yes the racers start at the front, with the sportive riders following behind. Much like how a marathon is organised.
  • I would be more inclined to race it but will see how the next few months go to make a definite decision.

Thanks Pearce. Im looking to buy around mid march as that is work 'bonus' month to be honest. Im a size 56 on a road bike so you TT bike would be ideal. If its still around in a couple of months i will def give you a shout.
  • Me thinks this will be pacey whichever start people make,

Entered the grand fondo, it would great if there's enough a get a blue train like the Phoenix classic!
  • I've signed up for the Gran Fondo. Not looking to race it though!
  • I'm in as well. We should work out whether a cca group start is possible closer to the time. Likely to be a very fast day, possibly some full road width echelons.
  • I'm in too. Still some places left in the Gran Fondo if you're thinking about it

So far, in the Gran Fondo from CCA, we have:

Stef, Andrew R, Tom D, Beny, Tim A, Vince, me ... ? Martin L, Chris P ... anyone else? C'mon CCA!
  • + JeremyP
  • I've also entered.
  • TT only for me, looks like a bit of fun!
  • looks like it could be a quick blue train, when details are published maybe a thought to sync a start times?
  • edited May 2015
    Breaking news:

Tour of Cambridgeshire Gran Fondo is now a UCI World Cycling Tour qualifying event. This is the first ever UWCT gran fondo to take place in the UK and for the first time allows riders the chance to qualify for the Amateur World Championships without having to travel abroad to do so.

The TT already had UCI-qualifying status, but it's great to see it extended to the gran fondo too. More info here under the 'Calendar' tab
  • I'm riding too, usual Pistonheads jersey so should be easy to spot.
  • Ah! Another PH'er at CCA!
  • They've posted intruction videos and a the booklet on the site today....

Registration to pick up your number closes at 10 am sunday. They want everyone there early!
  • Yes they sure do, I lost count of the number of times he said get there early for registration!

Looks like rider numbers will be on the website in the week before.
  • edited May 2015
    numbers & start times (at least for the TT) now published www.tourofcambridgeshire.com/uci_uwct_TT_Time_Trial.php
  • I'm in! Blue jersey :o)
  • this is the info on the web site. you need to check your emails and get your number. but note the other things you will need to register. may make sense to pop up there Friday before 8pm or Saturday also to register rather than queue with 1000s on the Sunday.

(Traffic management warning for entrance to Peterborough Arena Showground for Sunday 7th June – Get there early!
    Even if you have already entered in the days before please still allow plenty of time to arrive and park up as there will be a huge volume of cars arriving on site on Sunday morning.
    Please note there will be no vehicular access to the site for competitors after 10:00am on Sunday 7th June.

Registration opens at the Peterborough Arena Showground 12:00 noon Friday 5th June
    Registration at the Peterborough Arena Showground will be open from 12:00 noon on Friday 5th June and we would strongly encourage any entrants able to register early to please do so. Sunday will be very busy and if you haven’t registered you will not be able to start. Please allow plenty of time to arrive, park and register before entering your start pen.
    Registration opening times
    Friday 5th June: 12:00 – 20:00
    Saturday 6th June: 08:00 – 20:00
    Sunday 7th June 06:00 – 10:00

Registering for friends / groups
    You are able to register for friends riding the Gran Fondo as long as you have the following documentation -
    Rider number
    Rider name
    Rider’s date of birth
    Copy of photographic ID of rider you are collecting for
    Written Authorisation Statement: - Either
    I confirm that I have watched, understood and accept the ToC Briefing Videos available on the ToC website and I authorise [Name of Authorised Person] to Register me for the Event
    - Or
    I confirm that I have read, understood and accept the contents of the ToC Race Book available on the ToC website and I authorise [Name of Authorised Person] to Register me for the Event.

Please still allow plenty of time on Sunday morning to arrive and collect paperwork from nominated persons before the event starts as access to the Peterborough Arena will close to competitors at 10.00am on Sunday 7th June..

Chrono TT update
    Please note there may be official traffic on the course during the Chrono TT on Saturday which will be clearly identified. Certain sections of the course contain two way traffic for riders so please keep to the left hand side of the road at all times.

Gran Fondo update
    Feed Zones
    There will be three feed zones on the Gran Fondo route at 28 miles (45kms), 40 miles (64kms) and 66 miles (105kms).
    Time trial bars are not allowed
    Time trial bars or any handlebar extensions are not allowed on any bike taking part in the Gran Fondo. Any bikes found with these will not be allowed to start unless removed.

Catering and Arena Expo open all weekend
    There’s quite a bit happening at the showground over the weekend to keep family and friends busy. There’ll be an expo area with the latest bikes and accessories as well as kids events. We have plenty of catering outlets which will be open from Friday afternoon until the finish on Sunday.
    For those arriving early on Sunday morning there will be breakfast options served from 6.00am and coffee outlets will be right beside the start pens as well.)