Welcome to the forum

2015 Youth Road Racing / Training Calendar

edited January 2015 in Youth
Youth Road Racing: Thought it worthwhile publishing some of the local(ish) youth calendar of road racing. This has filled out considerably in the last week on the BC website. These are often attended by CCA youth riders and quite a few successes last year in the U8 & U10 categories. Would be great to see more of the kids out there enjoying some of the competition.

Click here for the BC youth road calendar up until the end of May 2015

Youth Road Training In addition Mark Wyer and Jez Cox (Herts County Council) have arranged 6 x youth road cluster training sessions with other local clubs between now and Easter. These will be held in Stevenage (address below) and run from 9.30 to 11.00 on Saturday mornings. They have all be scheduled to avoid the muddy monsters events in Welwyn and Ashwell. Places are limited to 30 riders per session on a fist come first served basis and it will be £3 per rider/session, U18's, road bikes only. Location: Herts Cycling Stevenage Circuit, Farnham House/Robertson House, Six Hills Way, Stevenage, SG1 2FQ - Map Link Here
If you want to take part in these sessions please mail markwyer@ntlworld.com

Jan - Mar Training & Racing Dates:

January
Sat 10th Jan - Hillingdon Winter Series Round 1 (Cat A-E)
Sat 17th Jan - Hillingdon Winter Series Round 2 (Cat A-E)
Sat 17th Jan - Lee Valley Winter Series Round 1 - Hog Hill (Cat A-E)
Sat 24th Jan - Stevenage Road Cluster Training
Sat 24th Jan - Hillingdon Winter Series Round 3 (Cat A-E)
Sat 31st Jan - Stevenage Road Cluster Training
Sat 31st Jan - Hillingdon Winter Series Round 4 (Cat A-E)

February
Sun 1st Feb - Essex Roads Go Ride - Hog Hill
Sat 7th Feb - Lee Valley Winter Series Round 2 - Hog Hill (Cat A-E)
Sat 7th Feb - Hillingdon Winter Series Round 5 (Cat A-E)
Sat 14th Feb - Stevenage Road Cluster Training
Sat 28th Feb - Stevenage Road Cluster Training

March
Sun 1st Mar - Essex Roads Go Ride - Hog Hill
Sat 7th Mar - Milton Keynes Bowl Circuit Series Round 1 (Cat A-E & Junior/Adult)
Sat 14th Mar - Stevenage Road Cluster Training
Sat 14th Mar - Lee Valley Winter Series Round 3 - Hog Hill (Cat A-E)
Sat 14th Mar - Milton Keynes Bowl Circuit Series Round 2 (Cat A-E & Junior/Adult)
Sat 21st Mar - Milton Keynes Bowl Circuit Series Round 3 (Cat A-E & Junior/Adult)
Sat 28th Mar - Stevenage Road Cluster Training
Sat 28th Mar - Milton Keynes Bowl Circuit Series Round 2 (Cat A-E & Junior/Adult)

Lots going on, some really keen riders could squeeze in 2 races in a day - call it a stage race!

JRVM

Comments

• Hi Jamie,

What's the situation with gearing for youth riders, I tried looking into it but it seems more complicated than a degree in mechanics, can you explain to me in simple terms what the rules are and how you know if you have the correct set up.

Cheers
    Scott.
  • Hi All,

I'm happy to do an introduction to gearing for those interested. Depending on demand I can do this at my house or we can book a room at Ashwell.

Mark W. have you any idea what the demand is/will be.

Please reply on this thread and I'll sort a date out as soon as possible.

Richard
  • I need help sorting out Sophie's gearing, as she has gone up an age cat. Count me in for a session please.

Claire
  • Thanks Richard, I'd be interested.

Scott.
  • edited January 2015
    OK, some interest already, I'll give it a couple of days and then suggest some dates for us to get together.

In the meantime here is the link to the BC Website info on the subject.
  • edited January 2015
    Hi Scott,

The max gearing you can run for Ethans bike (Worx 26" cross bike) in the U10's category is a 13 sprocket on the rear. This is as he is running a 36 chainring on 26" wheel with 23-25mm tyres. To achieve this you have 2 choices, you can either restrict his top gear on the cassette that comes with the bike (12-34) to the 13 sprocket (gear 8) or you can order a 13 up 9 speed shimano cassette from Chainreaction cycles @ £10. This will gie you a 5.3m gear just inside the max of 5.4m for the age group.

The link below shows the calculations. You just put in your gearing, wheel & tyre size and it tells you the gear length.
    http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_meters_of_development

I have just ordered a new casette fro Chainreaction for Samuel link below also:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-tiagra-hg50-9-speed-road-cassette/rp-prod387

Claire - Sophies gearing wil depend on what age category, chainrings & tyre size she is running - wth this information you can try the link above...
    Let me know how you get on

JRVM
  • OK, bringing this back to the top.

From Monday 2nd February, I'll be down at the roller session to give advice on gearing and demonstrate how it's done at events.

Depending on demand I'll do this for two or three weeks so that everybody has a chance to get their gearing right for the upcoming season.

This is work dependant, I'll post here if I'm not going to be able to make it.

Richard
  • Thanks Richard

This is a great opportunity to bust some of the myths about gearing and help parents/riders for youth gear restrictions

J
  • edited February 2015
    BC have updated their website and youth events are getting added all the time. Below is the link to the updated youth racing calendar (within 60m of Ashwell)

Click here
  • I will be there on time, just!