Welcome to the forum

Advice on Turbo Trainer

edited January 2015 in General
Hi All,

I've bought a Schwelbe Turbo Tyre to go on my Tacx Turbo Trainer. It's a standard 700 x 23c tyre. I have now managed to destroy 3 brand new inner tubes of the same size inflating to no more than 80 psi, which is well within limits of the tyre and tube.
I am at my wits end, and getting fairly bored of ruining inner tubes.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
I am nothing different to how I would fit a new inner tube after a puncture on the road.

Thanks

Pete

Comments

• MIght be stating the obvious… can you decrease the touching distance between tyre and turbo?
    I've always used an orange turbo tyre too. MIght not get as hot?
  • might not be overheating ... it's v possible to puncture on a turbo, if there's something sharp stuck in the tyre

(I managed to puncture on rollers, which did give me something else to think about apart from the usual trying-to-stay-upright malarkey)
  • I can Robbie, and was thinking the same thing, although need to have enough friction so wheel doesn't slip. That said, the last inner tube had small pin prick hole on the opposite side to the valve which made me think that something on the inside of the tyre must be sharp. Have run brushes, my hand and all sorts round inside to no avail.
    Have run out of inner tubes, so will have to take it tri sports tomorrow and see what the guys think?
    Thanks for the advice all the same.
    Pete
  • Can't be over heating as not even getting on it, before it goes flat. Definitely something going on with the tyre, or with the way I'm putting it on. The last 6-9 inches of tyre is incredibly tight and having to use leavers to get on. Keep thinking its me pinching the inner tube as I slide last bit of tyre over the rim
  • check you are not trapping a bit of the tube below the bead of the tyre between the the tyre and the wheel rim
  • Have you made sure there are no sharp edges on the rim of the wheel? Check that the rim tape is covering all the holes etc...
  • sometimes a small flint will sit in the tyre tread and only just penetrate...often can't feel it inside....Check outside very carefully by pinching tyre all round to expose any cracks which could hide small embedded flints. Good tip for everyone as I have often found small ones just beginning to work their way through.
    Tyre pressure too low at 80psi on small dia. rollers and definitely have pressure as light as grip will permit. Orange turbo tyre also good idea.
  • Its not going to be a flint on a turbo tyre. Either as Will says something sharp on the rim or you are trapping the tube when you put it on. Never use levers to put a tyre on.
  • oops Tim...not reading properly...sorry Pete. Clearly not a flint.
  • Thanks All. Tim, you were so right to my immense embarrassment.

I have now sorted my turbo tyre mystery, and am now the proud owner of a "crank brothers speedi" tyre lever. Allegedly, I destroyed 3 inner tubes by pinching them whilst using my old lever to get the tyre on...
    Don't feel stupid at all.......much!!!,!