Welcome to the forum

TRAINing Rides and Park & Rides!

FDFD
edited January 2015 in General
Thought I'd use the weather conditions to my advantage for a change this winter and did a straight run from Hitchin to Downham Market and train ride home!

Not as advantageous as expected as the wind was from the W, turning NW, rather than the SW tailwind I expected - still can't complain.

Route: Hitchin-Baldock, Ashwell,Shepreth (1st puncture), Barton, Dry Drayton, Cottenham, Ely (cathedral stop), Littleport, 10 Mile Bank (2nd puncture), Sluice Rd, Denver, Downham Mkt.

Blown almost continously into the Ouse along the stretch of road north of Littleport - not a lot of cover on offer...especially when repairing a flat...the tube was like an eel straight out of the river! Much colder towards the end. Started from home with 13C and it was 4C when I got back. Nice and warm on the train, though!

71 damp, windswept miles @ 17.5mph. Enjoyed that. A lot.

FD

Comments

• Sounds like fun.
    Was it a direct train back?
  • Hi Adam, it was 2 trains...about 1/2 hr from Downham Market to Cambridge, where change and wait 5mins for next train back to Hitchin, all station stopper. Good day out today. Similar route to the Ashwell - Wells Next the Sea club ride.
  • Hi John

Well done, that's great. Next time I might offer to go with you on a similar ride.

What's happened to the 9.30am Sunday Pirate ride?

Thanks

Rupert
  • Hi Rupert

Hope all's well - haven't seen you for a while.

Enjoyable ride today, always appreciate new roads to explore and company is always good for some conversation. I plan on doing a few more of these, just to freshen the mind away from familiar roads and scenery.

Most of the last few Sundays have been icy or rained off, with some of the crew having a group turbo session. That's not really my thing, the turbo being an absolute last resort for me as I loathe it! Andy injured himself over Christmas and James is away skiing, but returns home late tonight, probably too late to want to ride tomorrow. I thought I'd get my ride in today instead. Maybe a gentle spin tomorrow later on.

See you soon

John
  • Hi John,

Looked like a great ride and a great idea riding out and training it back, love to join you on one if you fancy the company. I haven't been very well for a while which has meant a long time off the bike and one and a half stone extra weight to drag around. I have no fitness now but working on it, have also included a tow rope in the saddle bag just in case.
    See you soon
    Pete
  • Sounds good fun
    Perhaps we can look at this for a future Sunday ride

I have been skiing in Bulgaria, but now back
    It is great, check it out, half the price and just as good
    Will be going again next year

So Sunday 09.30 back to normal next week
    With festivity,ribs and skiing has taken a few weeks out
    But the Jolly Roger will fly again next week

So come all you wounded, over weight or just absent
    Let the Jan restart begin

Hope to see you all soon
    CP
  • FDFD
    edited January 2015
    Hi Pete

Sorry to hear you've been unwell, but hope you're on the mend and soon back to fitness. Seems as if the pirates have been in the wars, what with you, Andy, James and my dodgy back!
    I always appreciate a bit of company and chat out on the bike and am definitely doing some similar rides this year. Need some decent miles for the Paris Nice in September.
    Yesterday would have been tricky for a group ride with such a strong blustery wind from the side.
    Plenty of train stations within riding distance from Ashwell:
    Ely approx 40 miles
    Littleport is 46 miles
    Downham Mkt 60 miles
    Kings Lynn 70 miles
    All of the above are pretty flat routes. Just need to make sure there's no engineering works, which usually take place on Sundays. Norfolk coast of course is not far beyond that.
    Elsewhere we can head for some more interesting routes to Bury St Edmunds (40mins by train to Cambridge) and beyond: Blue Egg Cafe stop at Gt Bardfield en route to Constable Country and lovely towns and villages such as Lavenham, Long Melford, Clare, Cavendish. 60-70 miles to Bury from Ashwell.
    Alternative is to get the train there and cycle back home?

Train route map of East Anglia here:

http://www.abelliogreateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/journey-planning/network-map

Thinking making a weekend of it when the weather gets warmer: cycle somewhere, grab an evening meal, stay in a B&B and cycle back the next day. Nice and relaxed pace, if anyone interested?

See you all soon

John
  • Sounds great !!
    Let's plan some next week if you are about
    I am up for this
    Can post events and dates
    And how many you want to do
    Give us a schedule and let's go for it

CP
  • Thanks John, sorry to hear about the rest of the crew.
    Love the suggestions they all sound great and up for it, another suggestion cycle up, train back, curry and a beer
    I took a look at that Paris Nice ride looks like a great challenge with lots of bumps and looks like you will have some quick company!!
    Good to hear from the captain understand he has been playing with the tarmac of Cambs - ouch - hope all is well
    Look forward to seeing all the crew soon and yes I am now Pete22
    Pete
  • Nice one John. I'm up for exploring new places too. Planning a train journey into a Sunday ride means we can get much further afield. (Prevailing wind is SW, so might be best to train back if we're going east and train out if we're going west... or reverse that for extra training intensity)

Pete - glad to hear you're getting better. Slightly concerned though, about your new name and hope this doesn't relate to your new clothing
  • FDFD
    edited January 2015
    Good to hear the enthusiasm on here! Definitely plan something when we meet next Sunday. Like the idea of the ride and curry combo, Pete. Think that's why he's now Pete Size22, Jane! Btw that would make me John30! Or we can call him Desmond, or Archbishop?!!

Open to all suggestions about routes and where people would like to explore further afield. You're right about the weather and wind direction Jane, so if this is a consideration would need to be flexible re conditions. Generally a SW wind though.

Here's the route I did back from Thetford to Hitchin a couple of summers ago and I was trying to meet with the club run, but just missed them! Nice quiet roads and lovely countryside.

http://connect.garmin.com/course/4568821#

So, it's about 70 miles to Hitchin from Bury St Edmunds via Blue Egg Cafe, Great Bardfield for a big refuel! I should think it's about the same distance to Ashwell. Easy to reverse this route and cycle out, train home. Could extend slightly towards Lavenham and Long Melford before turning for Bury.

Here's yesterday's route:

http://connect.garmin.com/course/8649060#
  • Haha thanks Jane, I thought 'have the tights, why not finish the outfit off!Have you a tiara i could borrow?

Size 22 might not be too far off John as i have just had to send a Christmas present back as its a large and too small!!! really not happy but on a really strict diet and on the turbo so should be there soon weight-wise, i can then tackle the fitness side.

The new bypass is now open at Thetford and so should draw more of the traffic away as there are no longer the delays during construction...just a thought

Away back to my first position and gruel for tea...
  • This is a really good idea and I would be keen to join some of these linear rides. Maybe some return train tickets give us the chance to do some circuits on new roads. The North Norfolk coast appeals.

Keeps us posted of your plans on the forum
  • Have not seen Desmond 22 for a while now
    Good to join the wretched crew on ship
    Looks like the black pig due for foreign parts in Suffolk and Norfolk

FD to take the helm
    Happy to do as a 09.30 ride ,say end jan for the first
    ( will be subject to conditions )
    Pete to wear his new outfit

Worry not XL the normal for a pirate
    Even champagne tony wears it !

Uncle Bulgaria
  • FDFD
    edited January 2015
    Hi Pete (Desmond), that's what drinking Japanese whiskey with your father in law at Christmas does for your waistline!!

Good to hear your positivity about getting back to fitness. I'm sure it won't take you long. Even I had a go on the turbo today....must have been desperate.

Size XL? My normal size from Waffer is XXL and that's snug!

Re the route back from Thetford - that start point is only there as I was cycling back from a week at Centre Parcs with my family. You're right re the traffic though. When I cycled out there via a different route closer to Cambridge the traffic was awful close to Thetford. We would aim for Bury, either NE past Cambridge or E towards Constable Country.

Hi Jeremy, sure we must have ridden together before? I was in Letchworth Velo when you may have been riding with our nearest rivals! Dear old Clive Collins was a near neighbour of mine in Letchworth and I went to school with his son, Mark.

The Norfolk coast ride to Wells Next the Sea is, of course, an annual club event at season's end. Very popular ride. We could ride it any time or even to the East coast....think these places for those who want to make a weekend of it, with an overnight stay:

http://www.thesuffolkcoast.co.uk/category/towns-on-the-coast/

With day trips and trains, my preference would be ride NE or E and train back as no easy way of getting back home by train if riding west. Blame Dr Beeching and his axe.

Will keep ideas posted.
  • Good point. North/south would be possible though

Rutland Water/Stamford?
  • Good thinking Jane - Stamford's a lovely place and pretty close to Peterborough. Gives people the option to get off/on any train at Biggleswade, Arlesey or Hitchin depending if riding to Stamford or back to Ashwell.

Keep the ideas coming. We can make this what we want.

Flying (Scotsman) Dutchman
  • FDFD
    edited February 2015
    Bringing this back to the top for those who might fancy a ride out to new areas and train ride back.

Seems a popular idea...involving a cafe stop or 2.....perhaps for a weekend ride for the unfortunates who have to work Monday to Friday......see above or the 3 Caffs thread for an alternative route to Bury St Edmunds and train home.

FD
  • Yeah let's sort this and dates.
    March looks good

James
  • FDFD
    edited February 2015
    All

Have a few suggestions for longer rides further afield when the weather warms up.

As discussed above, one suggestion is:

Ashwell to Bury St Edmunds, new area to explore via a couple of cafe stops en route for coffee and victuals (e.g. Blue Egg first stop) 70-75 miles and train back from Bury. See some of the best that Suffolk has to offer - Long Melford, Lavenham, Cavendish (not Mark, but this could be an intermediate sprint!) riding through lovely country lanes.

Thinking of a Saturday - 21st March or 4th April (Easter weekend, though) as trains could be dodgy on a Sunday.

All welcome

FD
  • Yo Ho everyone

Here it is, the inaugural longer monthly ride out to further afield and train ride back:

On Stranger Rides - Ashwell to Bury St Edmunds 75 Miles via Blue Egg cafe, Long Melford & Lavenham

http://connect.garmin.com/course/8815763

Early start required to get us home in time for the 5pm England v France 6 Nations climax game!

Cafe stops at the Blue Egg (35 miles) and Maglia Rosso cafe/bike shop (70 miles)

5 hours cycling @ around 15mph, allowing 3/4 hour at each cafe and additional hour for any repairs etc.

Aim to be in Bury for the 2.57pm train back to Ashwell via Cambridge:

Journey summary
    Depart Arrive Travel By Train Company Duration
    14:57 Bury St Edmunds Cambridge Station 15:39 Train GREATER ANGLIA 42m
    15:55 Cambridge Station Ashwell & Morden 16:21 Train GREAT NORTHERN 26m

All welcome - hope to see you there!

FD
  • John,

sounds + looks awesome

Both the dates you've chosen are the day after this and this What are the chances mate haha! .. Will people be up for two 'specials' in one weekend?!
  • FDFD
    edited February 2015
    Hi Nat

What a rich choice riders have! Those rides look great, may have a stab at Mark's ride on Good Friday as it's on most of the roads I've regularly ridden on and practically comes past my house! The Saturday 4th April didn't work for the Suffolk ride above, as it clashed with Easter plans and after that I'm in Florida for a coupe of weeks!

The ride to Bury St Edmunds and back by train was something I was planning in early January, but I agree that 2 in a row on 20th/21st March might not get too many takers. However, the unfortunates who cannot get the Friday off work ( myself included) can have another crack at Suffolk on the Saturday! Or good training for Paris Nice, where it's 6 consecutive days of these distances! Sundays are too dodgy to rely on the whims of the railways maintenance plans to risk it.

Good to see the willingness of members to plan these rides and encourage open participation.

Hope to see you on a ride soon

John
  • Two consecutive days of the blue train, what more could anyone want :) :)
  • Yo Ho!

Not strictly a TRAINing ride, but thinking of other rides further afield with different scenary and a few climbs:

So......

.........Pirates of the Cafe Bean - On Stranger Rides 2 - Westward Ho!

Riding in the Cotswolds on either Saturday 16th or Sunday 17th May. 15 hours of daylight.

Early morning drive out to Stow on the Wold (highest point of the Cotswolds), takes 1 3/4 hours from Ashwell.

For rides, thinking of a figure of 8 circuit based on Stow, 35-mile ride in morning, followed by lunch break in idylic Stow, then another 35-40 miles in afternoon. Plenty of lovely views and steep climbs - both to get the heart racing!

Morning route Bledington, Kingham, Adlestrop, Evenlode valley, Moreton in Marsh, Chipping Campden, Naunton, Slaughters, Stow.

Afternoon route Icomb, Rissington, Barrington, Windrush Valley, Burford, Sherborne, Northleach, Bourton on the Water, Slaughters, Stow.

Either drive home or stay Saturday night and come home Sunday afternoon after another morning ride.

All welcome, but will need to provide own transport or car share.

FD
  • Good to see the old day out rides return
    Cotswolds Instead of France
    Useful to check out the area ready for the Ashwell to Wales ride
    ( definitely Wales not wells )

The fig rolls and coffee working well on the creative juices
    Set the compass to the Wild West
    The black pig in full bloom is a fine sight to behold

CP
  • FDFD
    edited March 2015
    Hi all

Today's route to take advantage of the strong SW wind and stay safe, by avoiding cross winds.

https://connect.garmin.com/course/8934408#

Ashwell, Sandon (5 miles) Buckland (10 miles) Meesden (15) Clavering (20) Arkesden, Wendons Ambo, Saffron Walden (25), Hadstock (30) Linton, Balsham (35 miles Cap'n kindly goes on front into head/sidewind), Fulbourn (40 miles, Cap'n stays on front into headwind), Cambridge

Set off at 9.30am, so 3 hours cycling, with a short comfort break and plenty of time for the 12.55pm return train. 25 mins back to Ashwell.

FD
  • Bring on the next one
    Great fun and different scenery

CP
  • FDFD
    edited March 2015
    Please note that the ride on Saturday 21st March will now NOT include a train journey home.

Instead it's a PARK AND RIDE - drive to the start, ride our bikes and drive home.

An elliptical 61 mile route through quiet North Essex and Suffolk lanes with a cycling cafe at either end of the ride. Lovely route via Great Yeldham, Long Melford and Lavenham. Miles and miles of virtually traffic-free lanes

Route: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/702743013

Suggested itinerary:

Leave Ashwell at 8.30am, arrive Blue Egg cafe, Great Bardfield at 9.30am
    Depart Blue Egg at 9.45am
    Arrive Maglia Rosso cafe around 11.45am.
    Lunch. Menu helpfully provided on another thread. No need to pre-order for our group.
    Depart Magia Rosso at 12.30pm
    Arrive at Blue Egg at 2.30pm, coffee and a bite to eat.
    Drive back from Blue Egg at 3pm, arrive back at Ashwell around 4pm.
    Watch rugby, drink beer, fall asleep.

FD
  • FDFD
    edited March 2015
    PARK & RIDE Trip One Saturday 21st March

Blue Egg Cafe Great Bardfield Essex to Maglia Rosso cafe near Bury St Edmunds Suffolk and back.

62 miles, rolling countryside, quiet lanes.

Drive from Ashwell to Great Bardfield approximately one hour.

Tricky first stage from Blue Egg to Maglia Rosso via Long Melford and Lavenham. 35 miles @ 15mph into a 20 mph headwind with 30mph gusts and slashing rain. Took a while to warm up as 5C at start into that cold northerly wind! Total Eclipse all day in the murky conditions. Spirits not dampened and plenty of singing and positive vibes by the Pirate Barber Shop Singers chased the rain away. Hits included 'Walking on Sunshine', 'Singing in the Rain', 'Pitter Patter Raindrops', 'I'm Going to Barbados', 'Oh, What a Beautiful Morning', 'Bring Me Sunshine', 'Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head', 'I've Just Blown in From the Windy City'... a few amused residents in the local hamlets who must have thought a plague of screeching cats were coming along the road! It was like listening to Des O'Connor's greatest hits! Then we lapsed into a few rugby songs, unmentionable here to protect the innocents, in anticipation of the forthcoming game at Twickenham. Anyway, the singing chased away the rain clouds!

Long Melford probably looks better without the wind and rain, but Lavenham was scenic, as we sat outside the lovely Guildhall in the picturesque market square for a well-earned 5 mins breath-catcher. Then onward into the hurricane, traversing single track lanes and scarcely a car in sight, finally reaching the Maglia Rosso and hot food and coffee. Well-rested we then headed south for the Blue Egg, with the wind behind us and helping us traverse the rolling countryside. The Bullet found he not only had a second wind, but an eighth, ninth and even tenth wind! There was no stopping him until the magical properties of Rennie worked wonders.

Working together as a group, we all arrived safe and sound back at the Blue Egg. Second stage was 27 miles @ 15mph. Total for the day 62 miles @ 15mph with 3000ft of climbing. It felt harder.

Summary? Great to be out with friends on new roads, plenty of laughs and banter. It would be so easy to look at the prospects of a damp and blustery ride and decide to stay under the duvet, but we all pulled together and had great fun. No one left behind, all looking out for each other. Tremendous spirit and camaraderie, which I guess what it is all about. Thanks guys.

FD